Unlocked Idol 4s

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'll stay with the Idol. From what I've read, the camera on the x3 is inferior to even the Alcatel, the CPU's the same and the display is only slightly smaller. I've had the B&O speakers on other HP devices and they don't measure up to the Idol's setup.

Thanks. That's how I'm leaning.
I was looking at getting a used x3 for about $550. Now with the Idol out unlocked at $479 new it seems like the better deal.
Not that my 950 isn't working fairly well but the Idol would get me through until 2018.

Sent from mTalk

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I hope all of those people who said they would buy it unlocked will get out there and get*one. If you're still interested in WP, this one should make most people happy.*
Also, I agree that I would go with the Idol over the HP.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I hope all of those people who said they would buy it unlocked will get out there and get*one. If you're still interested in WP, this one should make most people happy.*
Also, I agree that I would go with the Idol over the HP.

I checked the website and it said no stores in my area had any in stock. It may take a day or two but I will keep checking and do my part when they show up. 😉

Sent from mTalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Pay no attention to the guy in the corner praying it hits the Microsoft Canada Store!!!!!! Please please, I was a good boy all last year and didn't ask for anything at Christmas..........

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
And this may account for the small price cut on the T-Mo version since they no longer have an exclusive.
Honestly, If I didn't already have one, I would pay the extra and buy the unlocked version so Tmo would have no control at all over my phone (not picking on Tmo, I would feel the same about any carrier).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, If I didn't already have one, I would pay the extra and buy the unlocked version so Tmo would have no control at all over my phone (not picking on Tmo, I would feel the same about any carrier).
I don't think TMO has any control over updates. Even before I went the Insider route I was getting updates as they came out. The specs are identical to the TMO version and don't show Band 17 for AT&T Enhanced LTE services. There may be some unhappy campers.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't think TMO has any control over updates. Even before I went the Insider route I was getting updates as they came out. The specs are identical to the TMO version and don't show Band 17 for AT&T Enhanced LTE services. There may be some unhappy campers.

Back in November a T-mobile in store rep read off the screen the tech sheet she had in the store, and even though it was lacking band 17 she mentioned more than the three shown online. I'm going to see if I can confirm this. If anyone knows how to install field test or view band locking on the idol 4s I and others would appreciate it.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

I know that carriers no longer control software updates, but I was thinking more along the lines if there was ever a firmware update. My understanding is that carriers would still have control of that. I*seem to remember that AT&T controlled the firmware updates on the L950. Maybe I've misunderstood that. Not that I have any reason to believe that there are any firmware updates planned.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not available in local stores yet (I called) and staff unsure if and when it will be.
I ordered one online. It should be here by the end of the week.

Sent from mTalk

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Just saw that it does not have Qi? Odd. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but definitely frustrating for a supposed flagship device.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
It's available in Microsoft store in canada for $619.
I might just keep my Lumia 950 as it costs a Lot more than what I paid for 950. Plus the camera is better on Lumia

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't necessarily disagree, but it does strike me as disappointing give where we are at in smartphone development. Heck, my Lumia 920 had qi.

I understand completely. My last 3 phones have not had Qi after I've come to depend on it. C'est la vie.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I consider the things it's lacking as reasonable sacrifices considering the price point and overall quality of the device. Perhaps if it does well they will consider offering a higher spec model. If it doesn't sell well, we're running out of options for WP. That will be a very sad day for me because I don't like Android or iOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo