Unlocked Idol 4s

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is this phone worth getting? Now available in canada for CAD$619. Currently have the Lumia950. But i like the fingerprint scanner better than the iris scanner. But concerned about the camera and the size. Not a big fan of big phones and the camera on this phone is significantly poorer than the Lumia 950 from what I've read so far.

Maybe, maybe not. :winktongue:

It is a powerhouse and runs smooth on latest Official in my short experience. There are a lot of horses under the hood. Nice screen and good styling. Windows Hello via fingerprint, Hey Cortana, 64GB storage + SD support, great stereo speakers and plenty of clean, crisp volume... I'm sure you looked at the spec.

For over 2 years my most frequent carry was a 1520. I switched to 650 for a few months and quickly got spoiled by the carryability of the 5" model. Yep, the Idol 4S is big. But a big, bright screen with good pixel density (which this device has) does have its advantages and most people can adjust to the size when it comes to carry. I'm making the adjustment back and expect it to be rapid.

One problem that some larger phones face is flex. 1520 had it, iPhone 6+ had it. The Idol 4S appears to have enough torsional rigidity to not make this an issue.

Where people have a hard time adjusting is usually if they insist on one handed use. That's where the struggle seems to really bite back hard from what I read around the forums.

About the camera... I haven't gotten to play with it too much yet. That too has a lot of power behind it. My experience with non-Lumia Windows devices is that you can often work a bit learning the unit's foibles and make some adjustments, either through manual settings, use of alternate camera apps or both. Don't forget post shot processing on the phone and on your PC.

Good for tinkerers and shot compositors. Not so much for full auto point and shooters.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. :winktongue:

It is a powerhouse and runs smooth on latest Official in my short experience. There are a lot of horses under the hood. Nice screen and good styling. Windows Hello via fingerprint, Hey Cortana, 64GB storage + SD support, great stereo speakers and plenty of clean, crisp volume... I'm sure you looked at the spec.

For over 2 years my most frequent carry was a 1520. I switched to 650 for a few months and quickly got spoiled by the carryability of the 5" model. Yep, the Idol 4S is big. But a big, bright screen with good pixel density (which this device has) does have its advantages and most people can adjust to the size when it comes to carry. I'm making the adjustment back and expect it to be rapid.

One problem that some larger phones face is flex. 1520 had it, iPhone 6+ had it. The Idol 4S appears to have enough torsional rigidity to not make this an issue.

Where people have a hard time adjusting is usually if they insist on one handed use. That's where the struggle seems to really bite back hard from what I read around the forums.

About the camera... I haven't gotten to play with it too much yet. That too has a lot of power behind it. My experience with non-Lumia Windows devices is that you can often work a bit learning the unit's foibles and make some adjustments, either through manual settings, use of alternate camera apps or both. Don't forget post shot processing on the phone and on your PC.

Good for tinkerers and shot compositors. Not so much for full auto point and shooters.
Yes. I've had the dtek60 which is the same phone running android. So I know the hardware. The one issue I found using dtek60 was the size I couldn't get used to the big size. This plus the camera quality makes me think twice about getting this phone. I just love the camera on Lumia 950. It is better than my wife's iPhone 6+.

So I might just keep the 950 till the next flagship Windows phone (I hope there is one)

Sent from mTalk

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Totally understand your feelings. I have an Idol 4s and love it. But it is a bit large for my hands. At this point I tend to prefer my 950. Thankfully I can switch the sim when I feel like it. Good luck on your choice.
El Mono

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Is this phone worth getting? Now available in canada for CAD$619. Currently have the Lumia950. But i like the fingerprint scanner better than the iris scanner. But concerned about the camera and the size. Not a big fan of big phones and the camera on this phone is significantly poorer than the Lumia 950 from what I've read so far.

Sent from mTalk

Could you please provide a link or info????? I have been all over the Microsoft Canada Store.....no listing..... Did you see this in person???
It's driving me nuts not to be able to click an Order button !!!!!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So far, this is a beautiful device. Love the fingerprint scanner. Screen is bright. Very smooth and quick. Seems like a winner!

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if T-Mobile sells screen protectors for the Idol at their stores? I have a case coming from Amazon tomorrow but need to protect this pretty screen too.

Sent from mTalk

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Could you please provide a link or info????? I have been all over the Microsoft Canada Store.....no listing..... Did you see this in person???
It's driving me nuts not to be able to click an Order button !!!!!
It's not listed online. But available in Microsoft store. Call your local store and ask them to connect directly to the store manager so you can check for the stock.

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Got Prime? Get this outstanding deal. Mine came in yesterday and the coverage is absolutely top to bottom side to side right up to the 2.5D curve. Tightest cut on a TG I have ever seen.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Shield-...=1484783720&sr=8-2&keywords=mr+shield+idol+4s

I got rid of Prime when they raised their price, but still buy from Amazon. I know, strange. 😄
People are complaining about fit with some of those, but yours fit perfect? Maybe I'll just go for it.

Sent from mTalk

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I got rid of Prime when they raised their price, but still buy from Amazon. I know, strange. ������
People are complaining about fit with some of those, but yours fit perfect? Maybe I'll just go for it.

Sent from mTalk
I got rid of Prime, too. My reason was that it was taking about four days to get deliveries every time I ordered.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not listed online. But available in Microsoft store. Call your local store and ask them to connect directly to the store manager so you can check for the stock.

Sent from mTalk

Ahhhhhhhhhh I'm going to yank all my hair out !!!!!! Called Square One store and sure enough they list a Case for the phone in their system, but no listing for the phone and the Manager pushed the HP Elite X 3 as an option.

Yes because I am in the Market for a Mustang so if no Pony car push a Ferrari it's very much the same thing.............

Oh well maybe after the weekend.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People are complaining about fit with some of those, but yours fit perfect?

Pretty sure all the Mr. Shield reviews go in one common bin. So if the reviewer doesn't say which phone they purchased for...

I may have exaggerated just a bit. I mean it isn't precisely exact, but man it is closer than any other I've bought and I've tried lots of Tempered Glass from various makers.

I first tried Mr Shield for my Lumia 650 and liked it so much I've repeated with Idol 3, Note 4 and now Idol 4S. Of them all the Lumia 650 actually fit the "sloppiest." Part of what keeps me dipping back into the Mr Shield well is the 3 pack value. But if they didn't fit well enough I wouldn't waste my money.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Ahhhhhhhhhh I'm going to yank all my hair out !!!!!! Called Square One store and sure enough they list a Case for the phone in their system, but no listing for the phone and the Manager pushed the HP Elite X 3 as an option.

Yes because I am in the Market for a Mustang so if no Pony car push a Ferrari it's very much the same thing.............

Oh well maybe after the weekend.
Did you actually speak to someone at the store? When u dial it automatically goes to sales Centre and their system doesn't show anything for Alcatel phone. But it is available at the store. I saw it here in Calgary. So when u call ask them to forward you to the store or ask them to contact the store for availability. It won't show in their system

Sent from mTalk

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Did you actually speak to someone at the store? When u dial it automatically goes to sales Centre and their system doesn't show anything for Alcatel phone. But it is available at the store. I saw it here in Calgary. So when u call ask them to forward you to the store or ask them to contact the store for availability. It won't show in their system

Sent from mTalk

Spoke to the Square One Store Manager, I'm in Ontario so I am guessing as your closer to a distribution center that's why your seeing it sooner. I'll call again in the morning.

We just have to wait a touch longer, I hope

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Ok, it's been 24 hrs with this phone and I must admit, it's a keeper.
First off, battery life is amazing. Much much better than my 950.
Second, much faster also. UI is buttery smooth and Apps open quickly.
Third, the finger print scanner works quite well. Not as fast as my Nexus 5x but quick enough. Much easier to unlock your phone than typing in a password every time.
Best speakers I've had on a phone too.
It is built beautifully. Sleek, light, nice looking and just the right size.
I'm very impressed so far. Way to go Alcatel. Keep up the great work.
I was bouncing back and forth between my 950 and Nexus - now I think I have a couple phones for sale.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok, it's been 24 hrs with this phone and I must admit, it's a keeper.
First off, battery life is amazing. Much much better than my 950.
Second, much faster also. UI is buttery smooth and Apps open quickly.
Third, the finger print scanner works quite well. Not as fast as my Nexus 5x but quick enough. Much easier to unlock your phone than typing in a password every time.
Best speakers I've had on a phone too.
It is built beautifully. Sleek, light, nice looking and just the right size.
I'm very impressed so far. Way to go Alcatel. Keep up the great work.
I was bouncing back and forth between my 950 and Nexus - now I think I have a couple phones for sale.

Sent from mTalk
Yes. The 820 soc is good performer on Windows 10 M when it comes to battery. The resolution being FHD helps too. Identical battery capacity as the 950.

Sent from mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If only that camera.....almost everyone would be sold on it then. I do admire the 950 on this one.

Sent from mTalk

I haven't taken too many pics yet but haven't found it too bad. It's a phone after all. I wouldn't expect it to take professional photos. The other improvements, for me, place it above my 950. JMHO.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb