VR Launcher Set Up Will NOT Persist

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems I'm in the minority here, I'm actually interested in and trying to use the VR experience on Idol 4S Windows. :winktongue:

Background: I just picked up the device, used. I discovered it was on Insider Fast after I did an initial setup from the seller's factory reset. So I took a trip to WDRT, reset to factory issue and updated to latest Official (14393.693).

Now to play with VR, right?

Here's my issue. I enter VR Launcher, do the "I Accept" thing, look at the Health & Safety blah blah yackety schmackety in Edge...

Doesn't advance me to the next stage, rinse and repeat. Finally it takes and I get the "Insert Device into headset" screen. That closed the app. Repeat again several times. Finally it works - seems the headphones need to be plugged in...

So I play a bit with VR. Shut down the phone. I'm still in the process of doing setup and getting ready to use this as my daily.

Boot the phone and I have to go through the whole weird, jerky, doesn't work right setup/authorize me to use VR Launcher thing. Every time after a reboot.

What gives?

Anyone else having these issues? Anyone figure out how to make it work and stick?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
...lost my focus after reading "yackety schmackety" :grincry:

...I haven't ventured into trying that VR stuff yet. I'm mildly interested tho.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I haven't ventured into trying that VR stuff yet. I'm mildly interested tho.

You should give it a whirl. For a fast, fun demo App try Crazy Swing VR.

I started playing with VR using an Idol 3 (5.5) Android phone and a generic, fits any phone from 4" - 6" screen headset.

I think the headset Alcatel gives with this unit is worth using. Vs the generic I get:
  • Custom fit to my phone and a secure hold on the device (as opposed to a sticky pad)
  • No light leak (the other did)
  • Dual capacitive buttons vs one mag switch (the mag switch could get lost)
  • Cable ports for charging and headphones is spot on (the generic is slightly off and only has a port on one side)
  • More comfort
  • Wider field of view (the generic is pretty narrow)
  • Optics seem more premium
  • I can leave the dust cover off and there is no light leak
  • I can leave the dust cover off and expose the camera for AR (the generic I have provides no camera port) - for a quick, trippy AR (Augmented Reality) experience try Real Life Lag
  • I can leave the dust cover off and vent the whole back of the phone (on the generic there are vent slots, but a large part of the phone's back surface is stuck to a pad so heat builds up quicker)
All in all, the VR part of the phone is a major draw for me. Stand alone Apps are alright. But that limits your time "diving" and a launcher that lets you stay under while moving from one content offering to another is definitely a bonus. Hence my desire to get VR Launcher set so I can "dive" right away simply by placing the phone in the headset. And that is a cool feature in its own right: insert phone and auto-launch into VR.

On the Idol 3 I'm using FullDive as a Launcher. I might have to search for an alternate launcher app if the built in one won't behave.

The Idol 4S Windows is a much better VR engine than the Idol 3 and the headset is much more suitable than a generic "Cardboard" style device (even though it technically still classifies as "Cardboard" I think). Maybe closer to a Gear VR since it is proprietary. I'm a bit fuzzy on this. Point is, it's worth doing with this setup, I just want a launcher so I can dive and stay under for an extended session sometimes.

Dune 74

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I use the VR quite often on my Idol4s and it works perfect 👌🏽. I am not apart of the insiders' program on this device because I use it as my day to day. Maybe that is where you are running in to the problem. Even though you rest to default settings

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use the VR quite often on my Idol4s and it works perfect ������������. I am not apart of the insiders' program on this device because I use it as my day to day. Maybe that is where you are running in to the problem. Even though you rest to default settings

I've not gone on Insider either, same reason - its my daily... I just can't get it to set up in one go or stay set up if I reboot.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What do you guys do on vr? I like the YouTube 360 app that comes included but it's so minimal it's tough to browse through content and no way to sort by date added.
I wish I could use this like the HoloLens

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mostly I play some games. I agree it would be better if the 360videos were more easily surfaced. You can download content and add it to the proper folder though. See the tutorial inside Launcher.

I wish I could use this like the HoloLens

Holographic APIs are supposed to proliferate starting with Creators Update. The great news is that you can leave the dust cover off to expose the rear camera and there is zero light leak due to the custom fit of the phone into the headset. We will hopefully see a boost in AR (Augmented Reality) on the platform. Just gotta get some devs on board (as per usual). Maybe we can see some efforts through Garage? For a quick AR trip try Real Life Lag. It's fun and disorienting. If you are going to move around, be careful and have someone there to observe.

I've still not yet been able to dedicate a whole lot of time to the VR. I spend too much time trying to get into Launcher...

Can someone with a working Launcher share screen shots of everything they have inside HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\com.tcl.vr.launcher? Trying to see if something should be getting added there that isn't.

<update> NM... I seem to be back in for now. Nothing added/removed/changed from that Registry location.

Next up: trying to get all downloaded games into Launcher.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When the VR Launcher is operating, and positioning my head to 'point' at apps, how do I select them?

The two capacitive buttons located on the underside of the headset are:
Right = Select
Left = Back

This position is based on when you are wearing the headset.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to you both. I am guessing the VR headset needs a connection via bluetooth to the phone?

I just had to keep doing the setup. Bluetooth not required. One thing that seemed to help move it along was plugging headphones into the 3.5mm jack. I did that because the "finalize setup" screen (after you read the warnings) recommends headphones. I honestly don't know what I did different, but eventually it stuck even after a reboot.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Every time I hit the "I ACCEPT" button on the launcher app, it takes me to Edge. How do I get to the next stage on the app?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what I did other than persistence.

Did you scroll through all the Terms and Conditions?
Leave the browser open to that page in the background and return to Launcher?

anon(5618912)

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
yeah wtf how do i get past the frickin start up screen

Edit: idk it worked once but that's it. I gave up and was just playing with the scroll up at bottom thing to show/hide the home, back, search button, and for some reason that worked. but now it doesn't

Last edited:

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
THE VR sometimes get stuck when press back and lol i download every game on the VR store but i cant play it because the games not display in the "games file" on the VR launcher, i talk with support and give nothing, only to wait a update lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos