Now I'm thrown for a loop [Camera Rant]

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is not about the pics I've taken (only a couple so far). This is about the software behind the camera.

So what gives? Look at Camera settings. You can't select for differing resolutions other than by aspect ratio. The drop down is there, but it is grayed out.

No 5MP + 16MP for 16:9 jpg... Weird.

No selectability in Camera360 Sight or ProShot either except for aspect ratio. Camera360 Sight reports nothing about capture size and ProShot reports it will capture 9MP.

I've taken shots with both apps and they are capturing 9.88MP in 16:9 (4192 x 2356). Why, for crying in the mud?

I've also installed Interop Tools and had a look under the hood. I can't enable DNG capture or tweak any of the manual settings for more granularity. It all looks a bit weird under there. Far as I can tell, Qualcomm is in direct control of the module rather than the OS.

The underpinnings are the same as a budget phone. No discretion or discernment whatsoever.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just for the sake of curiosity what does AIDA64 say about the camera?
(That is if you have it on the 4s there)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just went back into ProShot. It reports it will capture 12MP in 4:3 or 1:1. I have no reason to believe that Sight would be any different...

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Maybe a soon fw upgrade could help. Does Alcatel take feedback?

Sent from mTalk
Sadly, I don't think their support is as consistently good as their phone. When I first got mine and filled*out the form to get the freebies (one month Groove, etc.) I accidently typed*.ent instead of .net at the end of my email address. I contacted them and they said they would get back to me within 7 days. I didn't hear back and never*got another response from them (so I never got my freebies). I know that this isn't exactly the same as what you're talking about, but I'm afraid it's indicative of what to expect. I hope I'm wrong, though, and would be willing to sign on if someone finds*the proper contact.

mbrooks78

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Is there any advantage in using proshot or camera 365 over stock app on this phone for point and shoot? I generally don't fiddle with many settings but if better photos can be had easily, I'd be all for it. The pictures aren't as nice as my 950 or s6. My wife thinks they all have a blue tint to them.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The MP and file size yield isn't as large with Sight or ProShot... So there is a disadvantage to start.

I'm still playing with the various camera apps on this phone. Early on, when the phone was issued and before any updates hit, there seemed to be an advantage with Sight (see the Pics and Vids Taken thread). That seems to have faded in large part now.

All I can say is try them for yourself. Every picture is different as is every photographer. You may like them better or worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs