Sounds like blown speakers

mbrooks78

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had this problem before but it only lasted for a few minutes and went away, but all day today my speakers have been vibrating. I can't make out voice or anything. Even when I hang up or close an app playing music, the blown vibration continues until input phone to sleep. Has anyone else had this problem?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe it is a bug in recent versions of W10M. I've not had it on my Idol 4S (yet), but saw it come and go on my 650. I usually just did a Soft Reset when it cropped up. Never did figure out if there was a trigger.

mbrooks78

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by RumoredNow
I believe it is a bug in recent versions of W10M. I've not had it on my Idol 4S (yet), but saw it come and go on my 650. I usually just did a Soft Reset when it cropped up. Never did figure out if there was a trigger.

Unfortunately I just rolled back using WDRT and the problem still persists. At least the phone is still under warranty.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious. On a review I watched it was stated that the speakers are only front firing and that the grill is covered up on the back. Is this true? Thanks.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious. On a review I watched it was stated that the speakers are only front firing and that the grill is covered up on the back. Is this true? Thanks.

I don't know what happened to that reviewer. My speakers fire equally front or rear.

Play a song, sounds exactly the same if the phone is face down or face up. Place my ear to the front/top. rear/top, front/bottom or rear/bottom and the volume is identical.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what happened to that reviewer. My speakers fire equally front or rear.

Play a song, sounds exactly the same if the phone is face down or face up. Place my ear to the front/top. rear/top, front/bottom or rear/bottom and the volume is identical.

Me too.
Good to know. I thought maybe it was covered with dark mesh maybe and he sided to think that way. I'll see if I can grab that link in a minute--Link. He did not state how he determined it only just that they do not emit sound on the back. Obviously a novice review, as he did not even correct or edit this if it is incorrect. I might order one from the Microsoft store tonight.

Last edited:

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Yep, definitely play from both sides. Surround sound. :grin:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Chiming in here...
I had noticed a month ago more or less, that my IDOL4s while booting on the Alcatel logo screen would once in a while output some sort of gurgled distorted noise but only for a split second. Well last night I rebooted the phone and it did it again, but this time for a long period of time. It startled me because it was very loud. Anyway come time find out later while using it that the speakers were distorted all the time now. That circumstance either blew my speakers or something else blew. Either way, my IDOL will be on its way to RMA.

bigblip00

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Well last night I rebooted the phone and it did it again, but this time for a long period of time. It startled me because it was very loud. Anyway come time find out later while using it that the speakers were distorted all the time now.

I have had exactly the same problem with two Idol 4S now. Both model 6071W. (For those interested, the model # is etched into the glass on the lower back of the phone - have to look at it in bright light at an angle.)

Both times, it seemed to happen one of the times (not the very first time) when the phone was 'waking' after it had updated to 15063.251. I called Alcatel support, and the rep didn't seem very surprised, asking 'does it sound like the speakers are blown?' once I started trying to describe the problem.

I want to use Windows 10 Mobile. I like this phone - but if the next RMA fails again, I'm moving on... but to what? There so few Creator's Update compatible new Windows phone devices for the US market...

bigblip00

May 31, 2016
Visit site
do I have to put it in the Windows insider program to get the creator update?
No - it will come with the prior release version but update without needing Windows Insider at some point. My last one updated as soon as I checked for OS updates after the initial setup. (My latest device is factory unlocked from Amazon.)

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
The one I'm getting is unlocked as well,idk about factory or not,and it seems like he said its a AC600A or something like that,idk,ill find out shortly though,would you prefer a 4s or 950XL? Just curious,update,it's a 6030A,is that just like the RM1150-1154 on 950's and 650's?

bigblip00

May 31, 2016
Visit site
would you prefer a 4s or 950XL
The Idol screen is 5.5 inches, the 950XL is 5.7 inches - I'm inclined to think 5.5 is the very largest phone I'm comfortable with. Having said that, I miss the general form factor and wireless charging on my old Lumia Icon, which was absolutely my favorite phone. I wish the Alcatel had Qi charging.

RichCr

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Just received a new Alcatel Idol 4S (model 6071W). Out of the box and step I had NO speaker problems. During the setup I chose to restore from my backup. Unfortunately I experienced the pending app install problem. Therefore I chose to do a soft reset to in hopes of fixing the pending apps download/install problem. During the reboot process when the Alcatel splash screen appeared it got the dreaded high pitch screech (NateW described above). Since the screech the top speaker sounds blown (fuzzy/gargled).

Call MS Store, talked to agent who was very helpful and showed much patience (I could hardly understand him per bad speaker). I will be RMAing the phone. However, I did also purchase another because the RMA process was fairly painless.

I don't know how to avoid this problem with the next phone. I do know when I am setting up the new phone, I will not restore from previous phone backup.

hquu

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
i guess it was caused by heavy load of cpu which has very high temperature.
speaker near by CPU was over heated during the long period process.
my idol 4s speaker broken at that way. but i cant return it to RMA as i am not live in US... T_T

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had an Idol 4S since last Wednesday. Got the $200 package online from the Microsoft Store. The speakers sound great; I'm especially impressed with how Spotify sounds on it. FWIW, I did the restoration from a Lumia 950. Good listening to all!

Partha Goswami1

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem with two Idol 4S now. Both model 6071W. (For those interested, the model # is etched into the glass on the lower back of the phone - have to look at it in bright light at an angle.)

Both times, it seemed to happen one of the times (not the very first time) when the phone was 'waking' after it had updated to 15063.251. I called Alcatel support, and the rep didn't seem very surprised, asking 'does it sound like the speakers are blown?' once I started trying to describe the problem.

I want to use Windows 10 Mobile. I like this phone - but if the next RMA fails again, I'm moving on... but to what? There so few Creator's Update compatible new Windows phone devices for the US market...

is your issue resolved after RMA?

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
My Idol has done this at reboot a couple times over past few months, but fixed itself. Yesterday it happened and will not go away. Phone updated from .489 to.490 and multiple restarts have not fixed it yet.

Did this finally blow the speakers out or is this a software issue?

If this is hardware, would a local repair shop be able to fix it? I don't want to send back to Alcatel just to get a used phone.

Thanks Dan

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I take it every one has moved on? Too bad as the idol is a nice phone. Last build .489 was buggy and the one that caused this for mine. I hope to find a fix because it is unusable without a headset now and I have been using my Lumia 650 since this happened two weeks ago. Just booted the idol for this post hoping for a reply of good news and a small chance it fixed it self as it has before .

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Just did one more test with groove. Top speaker is bad one on mine. Bottom one is fine, not sure if that is the norm? Still think it may be software caused as the buzz continues for second or two after the sound has stopped and I get the distorted buzz sometimes when set to vibrate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon