AT&T Unlocked Messaging Issues

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

So my wife just got a TMOBILE unlocked Idol 4s that we brought over to ATT. Everything's working great, but she realized she cannot send or receive images. She can text just fine. I'm aware of certain MMS Apn settings, and have been trying all sorts of settings to see if I can get it to work. I have successfully been able to get it to work at sending images, but still not receiving. Anyone else having issues like this? Any help? Thanks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Cricket (which uses ATT towers)... Unlocked from T-Mo Idol 4S Windows.

Initially it was fine. Now recently I've seen issues. I believe they revolve around image size. Note that the Idol 4S won't take 5MP images like Lumia's with huge MP shooters and the pics are all 16MP size. It might be a bug in W10M not resizing for MMS.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I am on Cricket as well, but bought mine through the Microsoft store, not T-Mobile. I have not noticed and issues yet and have received a video. We'll see if I get issues, hopefully not.

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Cricket (which uses ATT towers)... Unlocked from T-Mo Idol 4S Windows.

Initially it was fine. Now recently I've seen issues. I believe they revolve around image size. Note that the Idol 4S won't take 5MP images like Lumia's with huge MP shooters and the pics are all 16MP size. It might be a bug in W10M not resizing for MMS.

Interesting thought, thanks! Do you think that wouldn't allow for images to be received though? Also, like I said I was able to find APN settings that did get sending images to work. I then tweaked them to try and get receiving to work, which did not. Switched them back to the exact same settings that worked before, then it didn't work!! I'm lost.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

It's possible that being if it's the t-mo variant it has a slightly different rom with different registry setting thus off setting items specific to T-Mobile i.e mms from what the unlocked model would have. It would not be the case on an unlocked model much like the 950 and 950 xl unlocked dual sim phones. I could be wrong but also take into account WDRT has two different models there. Might just want to peek at the fw versioning.

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T Unlocked Messaging Issues

It's possible that being if it's the t-mo variant it has a slightly different rom with different registry setting thus off setting items specific to T-Mobile i.e mms from what the unlocked model would have. It would not be the case on an unlocked model much like the 950 and 950 xl unlocked dual sim phones. I could be wrong but also take into account WDRT has two different models there. Might just want to peek at the fw versioning.

I'll definitely have to look into that. So if it is something like that, what would a solution be?
Thanks!

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Btw, there is definitely something fishy going on. I put her Sim into an ATT 950, same messaging issues. Hard Reset the 950, added in correct MMS APN settings, and everything worked. Put the Sim back in the Idol 4s, exact same APN settings. Sending images worked, not receiving. Now all the sudden sending images doesn't work again.....

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now wondering what happens if you use WDRT to flash Open Market version to T-Mo handset...

Theoretically everything is the same except the T-Mo firmware.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Flashing it might not work if the platformIDs don't match each other. Fyi. Meaning it would fail.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I'll definitely have to look into that. So if it is something like that, what would a solution be?
Thanks!

What apn settings are you using? Are you setting for both APNs mms and data?

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

What apn settings are you using? Are you setting for both APNs mms and data?

I've been experimenting with all sorts of different settings, but the only one that actually seems to work, at least for sending photos, are:

apn settings.jpg
I've also tried changing the name to NXTGENPHONE, or RESELLER. also Tried IP4v6. Pretty much tried everything I've seen online that could be a solution. Might have to look into trying the WDRT. Thanks for the help guys!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I've been experimenting with all sorts of different settings, but the only one that actually seems to work, at least for sending photos, are:

View attachment 133743
I've also tried changing the name to NXTGENPHONE, or RESELLER. also Tried IP4v6. Pretty much tried everything I've seen online that could be a solution. Might have to look into trying the WDRT. Thanks for the help guys!
I bet since no band 17 is available APN phone works best. I have used nxtgenphone on W10M devices using Band 17 and 30 flawlessly without using as mms. Did you try nxtgen phone only for LTE data without the mms? It could also be a registry setting in the T-Mobile variant where by that you need the mms apn.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the link, I have used those settings I think... but perhaps I'll try messing around with the settings a little more when I get home. Really appreciate the help, I'll keep you guys updated!

No problem at all.

If you have time and are able I'd like to know how her/your experiences with using this phone unlocked on AT&T go. I'm still contemplating getting this phone for use on AT&T.

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

No problem at all.

If you have time and are able I'd like to know how her/your experiences with using this phone unlocked on AT&T go. I'm still contemplating getting this phone for use on AT&T.

For sure, will do! I'm thinking I want to try and reset it with WDRT. Is there any risk to bricking it that you guys know of?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
There's little to no risk by resetting it with WDRT. Unless you unplug it half way through, lose power or something unexpected is about the only chance of bricking it with the tool that I know of.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I continue having difficulties on Cricket. Now I can't send SMS, but I can receive. Everything was working fine for SMS and MMS, send and receive when I first got this phone and before that on my Lumia 650.

I wonder if this has anything to do with AT&T shutting off 2G and repurposing those bands for 3G.

Imma call Cricket tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo