Idol 4S $288 at T-Mobile US

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, can you post when that was? And was it a corporate or franchised store (if you know)? Also, you weren't already on a ONE plan, right?
I'm on the older Simple Choice plan and I picked one up with no questions asked. I think there's some confusion with an offer to reduce by $32 but that's a plan offer and it's on every phone you click on.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Slightly off topic:

I just changed my T-Mobile (US) plan to the new One plan with unlimited data for two lines for $100. My Simple Choice plan was only $6 less but capped at 2Gb. It's also got a better WiFi Hotspot limit. The website says limited time offer, though I'd be surprised if that's true.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Slightly off topic:

I just changed my T-Mobile (US) plan to the new One plan with unlimited data for two lines for $100. My Simple Choice plan was only $6 less but capped at 2Gb. It's also got a better WiFi Hotspot limit. The website says limited time offer, though I'd be surprised if that's true.
I've contemplated moving to t-mobile several times over the years but the coverage in AZ has been spotty, except maybe until recently. Yet now ATT can interoperate with LTE band 12, so technically I have the best of both worlds. While on AT&T on an unlocked phone that can use those sets of bands should broaden the coverage. I still need to understand more on how that works and functions for me as a consumer and the device I use.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've contemplated moving to t-mobile several times over the years but the coverage in AZ has been spotty, except maybe until recently. Yet now ATT can interoperate with LTE band 12, so technically I have the best of both worlds. While on AT&T on an unlocked phone that can use those sets of bands should broaden the coverage. I still need to understand more on how that works and functions for me as a consumer and the device I use.
Ce3ll coverage is funny. II go to a park that's about half a mile north of me I have excellent coverage. Before I got the Idol I thought about moving a travel trailer onto park property just to get good coverage. It's improved enough now with the Idol that I have sufficient coverage throughout the house.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I have 5 bars at my house on this phone all the time. Never had that even on the x3. My iPhones don't get that either. But it's hard to judge between a non-windows phone. The real test was just knowing compared to another w10m phone. Wonder what's different?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
So I impulsely purchased an Idol 4S today. Gf needed to get her iPhone exchanged at the T-Mobile store. While waiting I saw the Idol 4S. I didn't need a replacement phone, perfectly happy with my 950. But it just called to me, I needed to have it as it might be one of the last windows phone ever, and it's on sale for so cheap.

In the end, we walked out the store with two phones. Used her account to buy the phone without having to buy a plan!

I'm loving the 4S so far. It's BLAZING fast compared to my 950, and even my 950XL. The fit and finish are top notch, what the 950s should have been. The metal and glass feels like a truly premium product.

Unfortunately for me, I can't use it for ~40 days. T-Mobile's policy on unlocks and I'm on AT&T. Gonna have to wait till then until I can use this gem of a device!

I really wish it had wireless charging and NFC. I've been so spoiled with wireless charging, plugging in my 950 once in a blue moon, usually for data transfer and USB OTG for flash drives. Really disappointed I can't use Wallet either. Been using NFC payment everywhere, i'd estimate 75% of all the places i shop have NFC readers. These two points really disappoint me however I'll learn to live past it. Also, the camera is TERRIBLE. Guess I was spoiled with the Lumia camera's, even my old iPhone 6 takes better photos. At least there is a dedicated camera button!

Also, I was afraid of the lower res compared to the 950, 1080p vs 1440p. But I'm happy to report that 1080p at this screen size is perfect, 1440p is unnecessary in most cases and wastes processing power. UNLESS, its for VR, which this phone desperately needs. The VR experience is great, but the screen is too low-res. Weirdly, this is where the 950/950XL shine. Watching the same YouTube video with my 950 and google cardboard and the 4S with its dedicated VR unit, the image on the 950 was SO much more crisp.

So far, I'm very happy with this impulse purchase. Glad to own a phone that feels premium again, and on my favorite OS nonetheless. I was most likely going to get a Galaxy S8 when it releases, but then 4S solves most of the problems I had with my 950, mainly the speed, the 820 chip is a screamer compared to the 808/810. Glad to know I'll be dedicated to this platform for at least another year. As long as updates are being pushed out, I'm a happy camper on WP, especially now with the 4S.
How's the battery vs your iPhone and 950?

Sent from Idol 4s

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Make sure you have good coverage in the places you need it before switching; best if you can 'borrow' someone's T-Mobile phone. We live in semi-rural Texas and though coverage is very good in and around our small town (and expanding rapidly), my friends who travel a lot outside the area still do better with AT&T. But then it's about twice the cost.

Also, my AT&T friends complain about the service and support, but I've never had a problem with T-Mobile and their reps are exceptionally helpful and professional.

Also note that T-Mobile loans you a free signal booster if your house or office needs it. We have a brick veneer house with a metal roof and though we're less than a mile from the nearest tower, the booster makes all the difference.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
How's the battery vs your iPhone and 950?

Sent from Idol 4s

I'll chime in with the Idol and iPhone. Honestly, the Idol is better. I have lower screen on time simply because of the tiles and opening attachments requires fewer steps for editing. I think Windows has better power optimization and the dark theme really helps with AMOLED displays.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately for me, I can't use it for ~40 days. T-Mobile's policy on unlocks
I read somewhere that the 40 days needs to be activated on T-Mobile. I don't know if that's true or even how they would know that. But if true, maybe you could put your wife's SIM in it to start the clock and put it back in at 40 days to make the request?

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, can you post when that was? And was it a corporate or franchised store (if you know)? Also, you weren't already on a ONE plan, right?

Yes, HooDad, the store was not a corporate store I was told, as they were eager for me leave a review. I was not on the One Plan when I purchased the phone on Tuesday, and am still not.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Make sure you have good coverage in the places you need it before switching; best if you can 'borrow' someone's T-Mobile phone. We live in semi-rural Texas and though coverage is very good in and around our small town (and expanding rapidly), my friends who travel a lot outside the area still do better with AT&T.
It's funny, but I've never had trouble when traveling. It's just switched me over to other providers that Tmo has deals with. The only places I have had trouble is in the middle of nowhere places that no one gets coverage.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
It's funny, but I've never had trouble when traveling. It's just switched me over to other providers that Tmo has deals with. The only places I have had trouble is in the middle of nowhere places that no one gets coverage.
The coverage has gotten alot better I've had tmobile for 3 years driving from Chicago to Springfield I would lose signal passing through small towns i drove it this weekend again didn't lose any signal this weekend. Big improvement for me

Sent from Idol 4s

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The coverage has gotten alot better I've had tmobile for 3 years driving from Chicago to Springfield I would lose signal passing through small towns i drove it this weekend again didn't lose any signal this weekend. Big improvement for me

Yeah... It was that driving down major American highways and not having signal that killed T-Mo for me. That, and having to supply my own WiFi so I could make or receive calls in my house...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... It was that driving down major American highways and not having signal that killed T-Mo for me. That, and having to supply my own WiFi so I could make or receive calls in my house...
Call them up and tell them your service blows and you're thinking about switching to Verizon. They'll overnight a signal booster like they did with me and your problems go away.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
On my road trips, there were a lot of T-Mobile dead zones. A lot of my miles were on back roads but even on long stretches of the Interstate Highway system, I was sometimes off the air outside towns. But I don't know how much better other carriers were. It really didn't bother me since I wasn't interested in making calls and I don't much use the phone for anything else while driving except maybe navigation and I have complete North American maps on my phone so don't need any cell service. I suppose if I had an accident I might not like it so much. So I decided not to have any.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Yep. First thing I did was connect it to my PC and check for firmware updates via WDRT, which there was. So I'm certain that it's on the latest firmware.
Ran all the updates, updated to current production ring, which I intended to keep the device on.

That was when I made my original post. Since then, I updated to release preview, still the same, then slow ring, then fast ring, hard resetting the phone each time and not restoring from any backups. No changes at all. That took a long time, but to no avail whatsoever. I've since settled on the release preview ring.

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone very much, its just that the camera does not meet my standards. In settings with good lighting, the camera is great. But it is completely useless in low-light. That's my main complaint. Another member recommended the app ProShot and I got the HDR in-app purchase and that by far has made the biggest difference. The camera still suffers badly in low-light, but it's much quicker to take photos and it has so many more features than the stock camera app.

I've been spoiled by the all my previous Lumia phones and their amazing cameras. Really took those for granted!

Here is an example of a low light setting in which my 950 (and 930, and 925), and my old iPhone 5S have absolutely no problem capturing the image.

Idol 4S using ProShot w/auto HDR
View attachment BqTFEVp.jpg

Lumia 950 using stock camera app w/auto HDR
kNJNdzg.jpg

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Call them up and tell them your service blows and you're thinking about switching to Verizon. They'll overnight a signal booster like they did with me and your problems go away.

Oh, I haven't been on T-Mo since late 2014. Before they started handing out signal boosters if I remember correctly.

It really didn't bother me since I wasn't interested in making calls and I don't much use the phone for anything else while driving except maybe navigation...

My worry was I'd need to make a call for some type of emergency and wouldn't be able to.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My worry was I'd need to make a call for some type of emergency and wouldn't be able to.
But the other side of that coin is women think you're the reincarnation of Meriwether Lewis (or "The Martian" for the historically challenged) when you tell them you drive without cell service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism