Idol 4S $288 at T-Mobile US

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Bought mine unlocked from Microsoft online last week. Then last week of course Amazon beat their price. Good news is I paid with PayPal through Microsoft so I took it directly to the store for a return and my refund processed immediately instead of the normal 3-5 business days. The 50 dollar cheaper unlocked one coming from Amazon should arrive Wed.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Jumped on this deal yesterday. My beloved 1520 broke about 4 months ago, and since Square Trade has no WM inventory I've been using a Galaxy Note 3. Usual Android annoyances. So with the negativity surrounding the 950 series, I had to talk myself into a return to iOS. But then I saw something about this deal, looked into the phone, and happily, yet cautiously pulled the trigger last night. Very excited to return to WM, just hoping I'm not boarding the ship while everyone else is fastening their life vests.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Very excited to return to WM, just hoping I'm not boarding the ship while everyone else is fastening their life vests.

Welcome back. Grab a bucket and start bailing!!! :winktongue:

Seriously I think you are going to like this phone a lot.

Worst case scenario, Windows 10 on ARM + Windows 10 Cloud kills W10M and your device won't leap to either of those two emerging alternates. It will still function for quite some time and I see no reason for it not to have the same lifespan it would enjoy if W10M were the wave of the future. We are at a point with OneCore and UWP Apps that even in a state of abandonware W10M has more sustainable viability than Windows Phone 7 through 8.1.

RickInFla

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiosity, on your new carrier, can you still do WiFi Calling?
Back in the WP 8.1 days, WiFi Calling was a separate app on T-Mobile branded phones, since they were one of the first carriers to offer it, so they had to develop their own app. So if you wanted WiFi Calling on T-Mobile you HAD to buy a T-Mobile branded phone. (And of course the WP selection on T-Mobile has always been very poor; lately only one model at a time.) When WP 10 came out, I understand it has a built-in generic WiFi Calling app, which will NOT work on T-Mobile. Does this mean the T-Mobile IDOL 4s still has a separate WiFi Calling app that works on T-Mobile? If so, what happened when you took your T-Mobile branded IDOL 4s to another carrier? Do you have both a T-Mobile WiFi Calling app and the built-in generic WiFi Calling, and so you now use the generic WP 10 WiFi Calling app on your new carrier?
(Sorry for any confusion; I have never really seen WP 10 yet for myself, but I wanted to buy a Lumia 650 last year, and the only option was an unlocked one, but I was told that even though WP 10 has a built-in generic WiFi Calling app, it would NOT work on T-Mobile... and so I couldn't buy it, because I need WiFi Calling, and I'm on T-Mobile.)

RickInFla

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Gee, I guess I'll have to jump in soon now also, since the IDOL 4s is the only WP offered by T-Mobile right now (and I need to buy a T-Mobile branded phone because I am on T-Mobile now, and I need to continue to have access to WiFi Calling). I was hoping T-Mo was going to offer the Lumia 650, but they never did.
I'm not sure I can afford to wait for the "next" T-Mo branded Windows Phone, as it may be a Surface Phone later this year, and that is expected to be a very high-end device, and so well outside my budget!
I would hate to wait and then see this $288 price disappear, and have it go back up to $350 or more!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Been on AT&T for over a year and have used over 5 different Windows phones from WP8 to W10M. Wifi calling has never provisioned worked or even been available on all of them while using AT&T. But that is just AT&T for ya.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Been on AT&T for over a year and have used over 5 different Windows phones from WP8 to W10M. Wifi calling has never provisioned worked or even been available on all of them while using AT&T. But that is just AT&T for ya.

T-Mo does the same, but for Windows Phones only that aren't their own.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
T-Mo does the same, but for Windows Phones only that aren't their own.

Which is expected. I am still unsure why AT&T has yet to offer Wifi Calling for their own Windows phones. The Lumia 950 I used on AT&T had Enhanced LTE/HD Voice but no wifi calling.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Gee, I guess I'll have to jump in soon now also, since the IDOL 4s is the only WP offered by T-Mobile right now (and I need to buy a T-Mobile branded phone because I am on T-Mobile now, and I need to continue to have access to WiFi Calling). I was hoping T-Mo was going to offer the Lumia 650, but they never did.
I'm not sure I can afford to wait for the "next" T-Mo branded Windows Phone, as it may be a Surface Phone later this year, and that is expected to be a very high-end device, and so well outside my budget!
I would hate to wait and then see this $288 price disappear, and have it go back up to $350 or more!
Saw this over on reddit

ijFPAtB.jpg

cvkhjCD.jpg

Sent from Idol 4s

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Some of us got smaller discounts over the phone. Maybe T-Mobile twitter people are more generous. Or maybe the $288 price isn't moving them fast enough.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not on this phone, but I've had it happen on other phones. At this moment, I can't remember what the solution was.

From my experience it's a curious iOS-related problem. It seems iMessage doesn't play nice with other platforms. I get multiple texts anytime someone with an iPhone messages me. It doesn't happen with anybody on Android and the only person I know with a Windows phone rarely texts me. He's too old school and refuses to text unless he has to send a picture.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone catch today sale? I was at the bar with my bud talking about this phone and we went on Tmobiles website and I swore we saw it for DIRT CHEAP AT around $140 or so with $6 monthly payment. And now its back up to $288.
But then again, I was at a bar..

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone catch today sale? I was at the bar with my bud talking about this phone and we went on Tmobiles website and I swore we saw it for DIRT CHEAP AT around $140 or so with $6 monthly payment. And now its back up to $288.
But then again, I was at a bar..
You mean the one posted with bold flashing letters stating **eddieDOTexe flash sale special**...?

No, I did not see that. Joking aside, no I have not been on the internet much at all today...but given the track record it could have been T-Mobile prematurely setting up the ad.

mryan55

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
This is a good deal for anyone on T-Mobile looking for a new device. I have been using the BlackBerry DTEK60 -- based on the same reference design -- and the build quality and design is great, especially at a sub-$300 price point. Also, this is a good way to guarantee WiFi calling and Extended Range LTE (Band 12) service that the unlocked devices don't get on T-Mobile. I have 2 T-Mobile stores within a 5 minute walk of my place and haven't seen the device in stock at either, so guessing it's an online-only deal for now!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3