Idol 4S $288 at T-Mobile US

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
such a steep discount implies it's not selling well and thus there probably won't be a followup model.

I'll take a wait and see approach as to future of a follow up. I am not sure what percentage T-Mobile will account for in total sales of this device, but it could be small. I doubt many people switched to T-Mobile for this phone, I know I waited for it to become carrier unlocked. Now it will be going to Europe as well.

redssand1

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
At this price I could not resist, picked up my Idol 4S yesterday. To sweeten the deal I called the 800 customer service T-Mobile line before I headed to the store and asked what sort of discount I could get for being a loyal customer. They ended up giving me a $100 statement credit if I went with store financing. With taxes I'll probably end up paying about $200 for a solid phone. Now I just need to find a phone case because the phone is slick to the touch!

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
At this price I could not resist, picked up my Idol 4S yesterday. To sweeten the deal I called the 800 customer service T-Mobile line before I headed to the store and asked what sort of discount I could get for being a loyal customer. They ended up giving me a $100 statement credit if I went with store financing. With taxes I'll probably end up paying about $200 for a solid phone. Now I just need to find a phone case because they phone is slick to the touch!

Good for you!

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
At this price I could not resist, picked up my Idol 4S yesterday. To sweeten the deal I called the 800 customer service T-Mobile line before I headed to the store and asked what sort of discount I could get for being a loyal customer. They ended up giving me a $100 statement credit if I went with store financing. With taxes I'll probably end up paying about $200 for a solid phone. Now I just need to find a phone case because they phone is slick to the touch!

That's an awesome deal!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
At this price I could not resist, picked up my Idol 4S yesterday. To sweeten the deal I called the 800 customer service T-Mobile line before I headed to the store and asked what sort of discount I could get for being a loyal customer. They ended up giving me a $100 statement credit if I went with store financing. With taxes I'll probably end up paying about $200 for a solid phone. Now I just need to find a phone case because the phone is slick to the touch!
Best I could get was a $75 credit but they are over-nighting it for free. I spent almost an hour on the phone to get that. Not sure how you got $100 when 14 years and 6 lines only got me $75, but hats off. Then I talked them into letting me pay it all up front rather than add $12 payments to the bill and extending the unlock availability, so I guess that and avoiding a trip to the store makes up for the $25 I "lost" on the credit. ;)

I'm hoping my wife will like it. She's been using an L640 but decided not to switch to my L1520 that was freed up when I got the L950XL. Now we can both use the same USB-C chargers. I hope she doesn't miss Glance.

One weird thing was that they have no method to give a written (email/text/snail mail) confirmation that a credit will be applied to a future bill. All they could do was send a text saying they were happy to handle what I called about to my satisfaction. I found it humorous when they said they have it in writing in their system so I didn't need anything. I pointed out that they could hire a former Wells Fargo employee who might just tell a customer they were getting a credit in order to make a sale. LoL

But I think its possible they aren't putting it in writing to me because they may be working the system and documented some other justification for the credit internally. I've generally found T-Mobile support people to be great.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It arrived today. Took me a while to figure out where the charger was. They hide it and the cable inside the goggles. LoL

Good. I ordered mine from Microsoft, and it shipped out that same day. if it were not for the weekend I would have had it 2 days later since it shipped from California.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Good. I ordered mine from Microsoft, and it shipped out that same day. if it were not for the weekend I would have had it 2 days later since it shipped from California.
I got mine from T-Mobile and it came from Kentucky. I would expect T-Mobile to have some a little closer to Arizona than that.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
WooHoo! Picked up mine yesterday at their store. Haven't figured out the VR interface yet but it wasn't that big of a draw for me anyway. The phone is nice and crisp. I made the mistake of entering the Fast ring to 15031.0 (no Bluetooth in that build), and had to wipe the device back to 14393.693.

I ordered the Qmadix Liquid Glass as was reviewed by RumoredNow:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...2-[review]-qmadix-liquid-glass-get-naked.html

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
WooHoo! Picked up mine yesterday at their store. Haven't figured out the VR interface yet but it wasn't that big of a draw for me anyway. The phone is nice and crisp. I made the mistake of entering the Fast ring to 15031.0 (no Bluetooth in that build), and had to wipe the device back to 14393.693.

I ordered the Qmadix Liquid Glass as was reviewed by RumoredNow:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...2-[review]-qmadix-liquid-glass-get-naked.html

Welcome to Idol 4S.

I had some issues getting the VR setup complete. It took eventually. Now it is great just popping the phone into the headset and going to launcher. FWIW, if you go Insider, maybe just use Release Ring if it is your daily driver...

About that Liquid Glass... I'm still thrilled and still not seeing fingerprints. I hope you love it as much as I do.

beto molina

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Lucky lucky. I spend a good bit of time today with T-Mob both on the phone and in text chat on their web site all to no avail. No discount for me. That makes me want to switch carriers.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Lucky lucky. I spend a good bit of time today with T-Mob both on the phone and in text chat on their web site all to no avail. No discount for me. That makes me want to switch carriers.

Call back and talk to someone different. Sometimes that makes all the difference.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to be a chicken little but I'm seeing hints that the $288 price is misleading. There are signs you may be required to start or change to an unlimited plan to buy the phone. If you try to buy one on-line, it automatically adds the ONE plan to the cart. People buying over the phone report similar results. As an existing customer, I was able to buy one over the phone to replace a phone on one of our lines but others have been told they can't do that (without changing plans).

If true, that's pretty shady IMO.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't want to be a chicken little but I'm seeing hints that the $288 price is misleading. There are signs you may be required to start or change to an unlimited plan to buy the phone. If you try to buy one on-line, it automatically adds the ONE plan to the cart. People buying over the phone report similar results. As an existing customer, I was able to buy one over the phone to replace a phone on one of our lines but others have been told they can't do that.

T-MO going for a dbl whammy there...

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to be a chicken little but I'm seeing hints that the $288 price is misleading. There are signs you may be required to start or change to an unlimited plan to buy the phone. If you try to buy one on-line, it automatically adds the ONE plan to the cart. People buying over the phone report similar results. As an existing customer, I was able to buy one over the phone to replace a phone on one of our lines but others have been told they can't do that.

My experience inside the brick and mortar store was straightforward. The plan had not been changed in my case.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
So I impulsely purchased an Idol 4S today. Gf needed to get her iPhone exchanged at the T-Mobile store. While waiting I saw the Idol 4S. I didn't need a replacement phone, perfectly happy with my 950. But it just called to me, I needed to have it as it might be one of the last windows phone ever, and it's on sale for so cheap.

In the end, we walked out the store with two phones. Used her account to buy the phone without having to buy a plan!

I'm loving the 4S so far. It's BLAZING fast compared to my 950, and even my 950XL. The fit and finish are top notch, what the 950s should have been. The metal and glass feels like a truly premium product.

Unfortunately for me, I can't use it for ~40 days. T-Mobile's policy on unlocks and I'm on AT&T. Gonna have to wait till then until I can use this gem of a device!

I really wish it had wireless charging and NFC. I've been so spoiled with wireless charging, plugging in my 950 once in a blue moon, usually for data transfer and USB OTG for flash drives. Really disappointed I can't use Wallet either. Been using NFC payment everywhere, i'd estimate 75% of all the places i shop have NFC readers. These two points really disappoint me however I'll learn to live past it. Also, the camera is TERRIBLE. Guess I was spoiled with the Lumia camera's, even my old iPhone 6 takes better photos. At least there is a dedicated camera button!

Also, I was afraid of the lower res compared to the 950, 1080p vs 1440p. But I'm happy to report that 1080p at this screen size is perfect, 1440p is unnecessary in most cases and wastes processing power. UNLESS, its for VR, which this phone desperately needs. The VR experience is great, but the screen is too low-res. Weirdly, this is where the 950/950XL shine. Watching the same YouTube video with my 950 and google cardboard and the 4S with its dedicated VR unit, the image on the 950 was SO much more crisp.

So far, I'm very happy with this impulse purchase. Glad to own a phone that feels premium again, and on my favorite OS nonetheless. I was most likely going to get a Galaxy S8 when it releases, but then 4S solves most of the problems I had with my 950, mainly the speed, the 820 chip is a screamer compared to the 808/810. Glad to know I'll be dedicated to this platform for at least another year. As long as updates are being pushed out, I'm a happy camper on WP, especially now with the 4S.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My experience inside the brick and mortar store was straightforward. The plan had not been changed in my case.
Thanks, can you post when that was? And was it a corporate or franchised store (if you know)? Also, you weren't already on a ONE plan, right?

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Iam an existing T-Mobile simple choice plan 10 year customer, and had no problem buying mine at the T-Mobile store. they didn't try to change my plan however they did charge me the 20$ fee to set up & change my sim card. but I get the sales tax refunded online in a gift card, so a win there. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3