Idol 4S $288 at T-Mobile US

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Almost time for T-Mobile to EOL it? ... if so, not surprised. At least I got the thing. Got the benefit of Wi-Fi calling, HD Voice with it. Only negative would be if Alcatel pushed a firmware update for this outstanding device. I doubt T-Mobile would even bother. Thus the benefits of buying a carrier-free device in that sense :wink:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Almost time for T-Mobile to EOL it? ... if so, not surprised. At least I got the thing. Got the benefit of Wi-Fi calling, HD Voice with it. Only negative would be if Alcatel pushed a firmware update for this outstanding device. I doubt T-Mobile would even bother. Thus the benefits of buying a carrier-free device in that sense :wink:

Probably why they halfed it.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Even though it's a "limited time offer", such a steep discount implies it's not selling well and thus there probably won't be a followup model.

Since this is the only mainstream Windows Mobile Phone left, you can argue that it's demise really will be the final chapter in the consumer space.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Even though it's a "limited time offer", such a steep discount implies it's not selling well and thus there probably won't be a followup model.

Since this is the only mainstream Windows Mobile Phone left, you can argue that it's demise really will be the final chapter in the consumer space.

It is purely speculation as to why T-Mobile is offering this. Unless they say it outright. Right there at the bottom of the sales page it shows the below:
4.6 / 5
from 39 reviews
95% of reviewers recommend this product.

If you mean is relating to sales, then ratings do not really qualify either.

It has only been out for 3 months or so. T-Mobile might see that it is doing well and wants to do even better. Or maybe it was what they normally do with W10M phones. It is a steep cut in the price. I have no clue. I wish AT&T would have done that with the 950 after 3 months. Of course the IDOL4s is modestly priced to begin with but it is lacking certain premium qualities that it could have had even though it is listed a flagship (gorilla glass, Camera quality, etc.). I wonder if this is a reaction to the Microsoft Store offering it unlocked?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It is purely speculation as to why T-Mobile is offering this. Unless they say it outright. Right there at the bottom of the sales page it shows the below:
4.6 / 5
from 39 reviews

It has only been out for 3 months or so. T-Mobile might see that it is doing well and wants to do even better. Or maybe it was what they normally do with W10M phones. It is a steep cut in the price. I have no clue. I wish AT&T would have done that with the 950 after 3 months. Of course the IDOL4s is modestly priced to begin with but it is lacking certain premium qualities that it could have had even though it is listed a flagship (gorilla glass, Camera quality, etc.). I wonder if this is a reaction to the Microsoft Store offering it unlocked?

I think that's a fair question. We're not going to lie, T-Mo just makes Windows Phones disappear without price changes from what I can recall with the 640 and Fierce XL.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I think that's a fair question. We're not going to lie, T-Mo just makes Windows Phones disappear without price changes from what I can recall with the 640 and Fierce XL.
Exactly, they have a history of doing this to Windows phones. It's good news for anyone on Tmo that doesn't have one, but otherwise I don't view it as good news. Tmo has done virtually nothing to promote this phone. This way they can say they gave it a try but the sales just weren't there.
I really wish Alcatel would release it world-wide. I think they would get some good sales numbers if they did. It's sad to think that a phone of this quality could be one-and-done with no successor.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
4.6 / 5
from 39 reviews

I really doubt this is a reaction to the unlocked version or even just to promote, certainly not this steep of a discount anyway. It just doesn't jive with T-Mobiles past history. As to the ratings, let's be honest, it's most likely being bought mainly by Windows fans at this stage of the game. Of course, as you say it's all speculation but then again it is Windows Mobile we're talking about here.

I guess the proof will be how long it remains in T-Mobiles inventory and what happens afterwards.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The regular price for the factory unlocked Android version is $350 at Office Depot and WalMart (WalMart itself & WalMart sellers) and other places. It's common for carriers to subsidize phones $50 - $100 in this price range. So $288 for a sale price for the WP version is not shocking or an unbelievable deal. I mean, its a great deal compared to the original price, but I think the original price was waaaay too high for a carrier subsidized phone. It's possible, they were gouging at first because there was little or no choice of mid-high end phones for WP fans. But its hard to predict how long that will work and now need to sell off what backed up when the initial demand was met.

$288 is a "good" sale price and a good value. If they hardly sold any at $432, maybe its the end and they are dumping them 'till gone. But it's possible its just a sale and it will soon go back to a justified $350 range normal price which would still be relatively unsubsidized compared to the the Android variant. You can't really expect many customers who are not already WP fans to pay $4xx for a carrier locked WP when a mainstream unlocked Android version is available for $350.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Great price. Great phone. The more that get out there in the hands of people I see as a positive thing, whether they be MS fans or not.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It could also be part of their push to steal customers from other prime networks... Remember that historically AT&T + Cricket (which ATT owns) served over 50% of active Windows Phones in the US. Rather than T-Mobile being behind in WP handset offerings, as they always were historically, they now find themselves in the catbird seat. This could be a dig at AT&T and no clear upgrade path for their loyal Windows Phone users.

adduplex-windows-phone-statistics-report-september-2015-9-638.jpg

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It could also be part of their push to steal customers from other prime networks... Remember that historically AT&T + Cricket (which ATT owns) served over 50% of active Windows Phones in the US. Rather than T-Mobile being behind in WP handset offerings, as they always were historically, they now find themselves in the catbird seat. This could be a dig at AT&T and no clear upgrade path for their loyal Windows Phone users.

View attachment 133803

Well, if it is, let's hope it works.
They are the "uncarrier" after all.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The regular price for the factory unlocked Android version is $350 at Office Depot and WalMart (WalMart itself & WalMart sellers) and other places. It's common for carriers to subsidize phones $50 - $100 in this price range. So $288 for a sale price for the WP version is not shocking or an unbelievable deal. I mean, its a great deal compared to the original price, but I think the original price was waaaay too high for a carrier subsidized phone. It's possible, they were gouging at first because there was little or no choice of mid-high end phones for WP fans. But its hard to predict how long that will work and now need to sell off what backed up when the initial demand was met.

$288 is a "good" sale price and a good value. If they hardly sold any at $432, maybe its the end and they are dumping them 'till gone. But it's possible its just a sale and it will soon go back to a justified $350 range normal price which would still be relatively unsubsidized compared to the the Android variant. You can't really expect many customers who are not already WP fans to pay $4xx for a carrier locked WP when a mainstream unlocked Android version is available for $350.
I think your comparison to the Android version breaks down because it's inferior to the Windows version. Inferior processor, less ram, less storage, lower spec camera and no Continuum. I think the original price of the Windows version is very reasonable (although I would have been happy to get mine for $288). Companies have to price phones based on the hardware that's installed and, in this case, it's a superior phone to the Android version. Alcatel had to know they were sticking their neck out making a Windows version but apparently decided that it was worth the risk. It's a mystery, though, why they decided to release it initially tied to T-Mobile. That much of a discount on electronics usually indicates EOL, or at least a clearance price. I expect T-Mobile is getting ready to dump the phone. It's fits the pattern of their treatment of Windows phones. That said, this is one of those occasions where I hope I'm wrong.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think your comparison to the Android version breaks down because it's inferior to the Windows version. Inferior processor, less ram, less storage, lower spec camera and no Continuum.
Yes, there are differences including the Android having a much higher resolution screen. Continuum itself doesn't add a penny to the cost of manufacturing a phone with this processor. WM is less desirable to the vast majority of phone shoppers. There is no substantial pool of customers who will pay more for the WM version with limited apps over an Android. The price was only ever $4xx because some people like us would pay a higher markup to avoid carrying any Android or iPhone. Once they've snagged a good percent of the Windows fan(atic)s, they have to lower the price to make it price attractive to people who DON'T have a predisposition towards WM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz