08-11-2017 08:22 AM
125 1234 ...
tools
    x3 then 950xl then 950, then Alcatel. The Alcatel is new the others like 950 and 950xl have better Camera,NFC and Wireless charging, Alcatel is TCL a cheap producer of devices, unlike HP and MS.
    Have you used one, let alone owned one? Your description of Alcatel is nothing but a worn sound byte parroted by those who have no working knowledge of the brand. The BlackBerry DTEK60 is a sister device and it's heralded as a true flagship yet the Idol is nothing but a "cheap Alcatel" simply because it's donning a Windows logo. The 950 series would kill for build quality like the Idol and the HP isn't anywhere near it in the camera or audio department.
    02-14-2017 08:41 PM
    I currently have an x3 and 4s, the 4 s is a nice looking phone but the x3 is better.
    In what way? Aren't they very similar spec wise? Would be nice to hear from someone who has both.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    02-14-2017 08:44 PM
    In what way? Aren't they very similar spec wise? Would be nice to hear from someone who has both.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    @Nate W would know, he had an x3 too.

I'm curious to know as well because I don't get this.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-14-2017 09:10 PM
    Nokia Lumia 930

What are your thoughts!? Is the Alcatel Idol 4S the best Windows Phone of all time? If not, what is?
    02-14-2017 09:58 PM
    For now i will share this. I really can say I prefer the Alcatel Idol 4s over the x3. But to each his own.

As far as popular features/capabilities the idol 4s is lacking in nfc and QI compared to the x3. I don't use nfc yet so that is an obvious win for me. I only really used QI in a pinch while at work but is a convenient feature. But not necessary for me. I'm still feeling this phone out at the moment, but already I like using it more than the x3. It really is a worthy phone. Both phones are definitely eye catchers that's for sure.
    02-14-2017 10:53 PM
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/0f1A3r...reen></iframe>I don't know; I took it up to the ski hill today, and tried to take some video clips, but the camera had a unbelievably terrible time figuring out the brightness/darkness/contrast of the snow and the trees....this is just one short clip. It did this all day; Drove me nuts....
    02-14-2017 11:16 PM
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/0f1A3rfMkfA?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]I don't know; I took it up to the ski hill today, and tried to take some video clips, but the camera had a unbelievably terrible time figuring out the brightness/darkness/contrast of the snow and the trees....this is just one short clip. It did this all day; Drove me nuts....
    I'm sure there are phone cameras that can handle it much better. I'm sure you've seen better from phones or video cameras. But as a professional videographer I can tell you that snow is difficult for all video cameras. I have a $5k video camera and I would never use it in auto mode under those conditions (even though it would do an adequate job in auto mode and most people would be satisfied with it).

What's happening here is that the camera is getting confused as to what the white balance and contrast should be. It sees the bright white snow and the darkness of the clothes, trees and skies and it just get's confused. When it sees the bright snow it lowers the contrast and loses proper white balance. When the dark (the girl's clothing) comes into frame closer to the camera. it raises contrast and the scene comes back into balance. The reason it goes in and out is because it can't decide which is correct. This is where a firmware update could make a world of difference for this phone. The camera module is being let down by firmware and software. The only way you can possibly get decent video from the camera as it is would be through manual settings.

I've attached two stills from your video so you can see what I mean.

idol-still-2.jpg idol-still.jpg
    RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    02-14-2017 11:57 PM
    I think the lumia 1520 is the best Windows Phone. From design to performance, it delivers.
    Mmazeo likes this.
    02-15-2017 01:36 AM
    build quality like the Idol .
    Ok build quality is good, but the features it lacks as previously stated, a true flagship device needs those too, it has a Fingerprint scanner!? Well the 2 year old 950's has an Iris scanner, NFC Wireless charging and a superior camera, for those facts it can not be the "BEST" windows device of all time, even if it was Gold plated it would fall bellow the others because of what it lacks.
    Describe "BEST" ...
    nate0 likes this.
    02-15-2017 05:06 AM
    It's not available to many of us in the rest of the world so sadly I have no opinion.
    Rosebank and RumoredNow like this.
    02-15-2017 06:29 AM
    The Idol 4s is only a Mid-Range phone on Android so to claim it as the best Windows Phone of all time is pretty sad tbh
    Rosebank likes this.
    02-15-2017 07:20 AM
    The Idol 4s is only a Mid-Range phone on Android so to claim it as the best Windows Phone of all time is pretty sad tbh
    Good point.
    02-15-2017 07:22 AM
    The Windows version did get significant hardware upgrades vs the Android version: better SoC, more internal storage, more RAM, more MP in the rear camera, Type-C USB... No NFC though and the display resolution went down a notch.

Out of curiosity, how many Snapdragon 820, 64GB storage, 4GB RAM, 21MP camera phones on Android are considered Mid-Range?

alcatel Idol 4s Windows vs. alcatel Idol 4s - GSMArena.com
    Guytronic, nate0, TgeekB and 3 others like this.
    02-15-2017 07:33 AM
    Good point.
    Not an equal comparison, as the Windows version has better specs. To assume they are the same is incorrect.

Edit: @RumoredNow beat me to it with an even better reply lol
    02-15-2017 07:35 AM
    The Windows version did get significant hardware upgrades vs the Android version: better SoC, more internal storage, more RAM, more MP in the rear camera, Type-C USB... No NFC though and the display resolution went down a notch.

Out of curiosity, how many Snapdragon 820, 64GB storage, 4GB RAM, 21MP camera phones on Android are considered Mid-Range?

alcatel Idol 4s Windows vs. alcatel Idol 4s - GSMArena.com

Quite a few tbh. Axon 7, Letv Le Max Pro, Blackberry DTek60 (Rebranded Idol 4s), to name but a few
    Rosebank likes this.
    02-15-2017 07:40 AM
    Quite a few tbh. Axon 7, Letv Le Max Pro, Blackberry DTek60 (Rebranded Idol 4s), to name but a few
    So is this based on price? Brand appeal? Or performance?

When I took my Idol 4S Windows to AnTuTu it scored #2 in the rankings. Hardly seems Mid-Range to me. It ranked three slots above Lumia 950 XL.

wp_ss_20170125_0002.jpg
    Rosebank, libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    02-15-2017 07:54 AM
    Edit: @RumoredNow beat me to it with an even better reply lol
    This reply sounds a little childish.
    02-15-2017 07:59 AM
    It ranked three slots above Lumia 950 XL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20170125_0002.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	133886
    3 slots and how many years difference between them?
    02-15-2017 08:04 AM
    This reply sounds a little childish.
    I don't think I understand. How is stating facts childish? If you look at any spec sheets, it is proven that the Windows version has a better processor, along with some other things over the Android version.
    02-15-2017 08:06 AM
    3 slots and how many years difference between them?
    Years between the 950 XL and the Idol 4S Windows... 1.
    02-15-2017 08:07 AM
    To be clear...

The highest SoC on Windows Phone currently is the Snapdragon 820. It is used in 3 phones, The Alcatel, the HP Elite X3 and the Acer Liquid Jade Primo. 3,5GB (effective) RAM is the most that the 32 bit OS can run. Outside of the Lumia 1020's 41MP shooter, the platform has never gone above 21MP. 64GB internal storage is the most ever offered on the platform, shared by Alcatel and Elite X3. Only 3 phones have had a display above 1080p, the Elite X3 and the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. There are only 7 Type-C, Continuum enabled phones: Idol 4S Windows, Elite X3, Jade Primo, Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, NuAns Neo and Coship Moly PcPhone...

In terms of Windows Phone this is the current pinnacle. To compare it to other platforms is like comparing fish and mammals.
    02-15-2017 08:23 AM
    So is this based on price? Brand appeal? Or performance?

When I took my Idol 4S Windows to AnTuTu it scored #2 in the rankings. Hardly seems Mid-Range to me. It ranked three slots above Lumia 950 XL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20170125_0002.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	133886

Execution? I'm always looking for flagship killers to try out and I like to try something different with great specs at lower than Flagship prices. I wanted the Axon 7 til I read the reviews on forums about it's sub-par camera (sound familiar?). One Plus are a great example that Flagships can be beaten by a so called Mid Range phone.

And please don't think I'm trying to knock the Idol 4s, I'm over the moon that OEMs are still willing to give Windows Mobile a shot and it's maybe not for me as a great camera is high on my priority list as well as notifications I can see at a glance with either Always On Display or an l.e.d but I'm just saying maybe our expectations or standards have slipped a little in recent times if this can be considered the best of all time?

The whole reason I jumped from an iPhone 7plus and a Galaxy s7 edge before that is because I can still get all the thing's I need and more at a fraction of the price with a little compromise on apps.
    02-15-2017 08:24 AM
    And please don't think I'm trying to knock the Idol 4s, I'm over the moon that OEMs are still willing to give Windows Mobile a shot and it's maybe not for me as a great camera is high on my priority list as well as notifications I can see at a glance with either Always On Display or an l.e.d but I'm just saying maybe our expectations or standards have slipped a little in recent times if this can be considered the best of all time?
    The camera is actually not as bad as some make it out to be. I guess it comes down to are you and point and shoot user or one who likes to compose shots and use a digital darkroom...

I say Idol 4S is the new all-around champ and not the best of all time... But I certainly think it rises above Mid-Range, especially in comparison to this platform in isolation.
    libra89, TgeekB and editguy like this.
    02-15-2017 08:29 AM
    Why are some members bringing up Android phones here? The thread is about the best WINDOWS phone, not a comparo piece including Android.
    02-15-2017 08:32 AM
    @RumoredNow - love your original post at the top of this thread. Had no idea your history of Windows Phones was so deep. That's amazing. Glad you're liking the 4S too, I agree with you on most points. If you could change anything about it, what would you change to make it less of an 'all around' phone and more of a 'must have'?
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    02-15-2017 08:34 AM
125 1234 ...