Alcatel Idol 4S: Best Windows Phone of all time?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've only used about 4 Windows phones and I know a lot of people judge the camera against Lumia phones. If camera is your main focus probably not. If not, it's right up there i'd say!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... I've used (not in chronological order)
  • Lumia 520
  • Lumia 521
  • Lumia 635
  • Lumia 640
  • Lumia 650
  • Lumia 830
  • Lumia 925
  • Lumia 928
  • Lumia 1020
  • Lumia 1520
  • BLU Win HD
  • BLU Win HD LTE
  • Moly W5
And now I'm driving the Idol 4S Windows daily...

It is an amazingly well built and aesthetically pleasing handset. I like the candy colors of Lumia, but I also like this sleek, contemporary design. Possibly my all time favorite to look at would be the Lumia 830 with the black frame and different colored backs. I liked to switch mine between orange and green quite often.

The build quality seem to be top shelf. For a large screen phone it has plenty of torsional rigidity and that's important. I did have some minor flex issues with my 1520, and even though I solved them by straightening the phone it is a lesson learned.

So all in, the Idol 4S strikes a cord with me there... A large screen with a solid build and very nice to look at. I'll give it the design category as a win.

I'm solidly convinced that built for W10M runs the OS better than Upgraded to W10M hardware. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case for me. Sad to say, but I think that even the Moly W5 and Lumia 650 ran the OS better than my 1520 did on upgrade and of course the W5 and 650 cannot hold a candle to the Idol 4S. 1520 on 8.1 was always smooth and pleasurable, you never had to think about the hardware as it lept to the task at hand. But I feel it even more so about the Idol 4S on W10M... It just does what I ask. Moar storage, RAM, SoC, faster charging, Hello, Continuum... I miss Qi, but the thing charges so fast via cable I feel like it is a better trade off. I miss PureView camera, but the shooter on the Idol 4S is very decent and I enjoy doing digital darkroom tweaks anyway. It's very competent for day to day shooting.

Overall, for hardware I have to say, yes. Another win for Alcatel. Particularly for the built for W10M arena. Not having used the Elite X3, I'm sure many of those users might disagree with the Idol 4 being better, but for me I like the VR and the consumer facing aspects. I have to give it the edge on paper over the X3.

Features missing from Lumia that I would have loved to see include: Glance, ClearBlack, Brightness & Color Profiles, EQ and the aforementioned PureView... It could have been perfect. *sigh*

As a whole package... Some devices do better in certain categories. But as an All-Around? Yep. New Champion. It is definitely a "hero" phone.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm... I've used (not in chronological order)
  • Lumia 520
  • Lumia 521
  • Lumia 635
  • Lumia 640
  • Lumia 650
  • Lumia 830
  • Lumia 925
  • Lumia 928
  • Lumia 1020
  • Lumia 1520
  • BLU Win HD
  • BLU Win HD LTE
  • Moly W5
And now I'm driving the Idol 4S Windows daily...

It is an amazingly well built and aesthetically pleasing handset. I like the candy colors of Lumia, but I also like this sleek, contemporary design. Possibly my all time favorite to look at would be the Lumia 830 with the black frame and different colored backs. I liked to switch mine between orange and green quite often.

The build quality seem to be top shelf. For a large screen phone it has plenty of torsional rigidity and that's important. I did have some minor flex issues with my 1520, and even though I solved them by straightening the phone it is a lesson learned.

So all in, the Idol 4S strikes a cord with me there... A large screen with a solid build and very nice to look at. I'll give it the design category as a win.

I'm solidly convinced that built for W10M runs the OS better than Upgraded to W10M hardware. Not sure why that is, but it seems to be the case for me. Sad to say, but I think that even the Moly W5 and Lumia 650 ran the OS better than my 1520 did on upgrade and of course the W5 and 650 cannot hold a candle to the Idol 4S. 1520 on 8.1 was always smooth and pleasurable, you never had to think about the hardware as it lept to the task at hand. But I feel it even more so about the Idol 4S on W10M... It just does what I ask. Moar storage, RAM, SoC, faster charging, Hello, Continuum... I miss Qi, but the thing charges so fast via cable I feel like it is a better trade off. I miss PureView camera, but the shooter on the Idol 4S is very decent and I enjoy doing digital darkroom tweaks anyway. It's very competent for day to day shooting.

Overall, for hardware I have to say, yes. Another win for Alcatel. Particularly for the built for W10M arena. Not having used the Elite X3, I'm sure many of those users might disagree with the Idol 4 being better, but for me I like the VR and the consumer facing aspects. I have to give it the edge on paper over the X3.

Features missing from Lumia that I would have loved to see include: Glance, ClearBlack, Brightness & Color Profiles, EQ and the aforementioned PureView... It could have been perfect. *sigh*

As a whole package... Some devices do better in certain categories. But as an All-Around? Yep. New Champion. It is definitely a "hero" phone.

What he said!

I had the 830 also and it was a nice phone. The Alcatel just feels more powerful and fluid. I'm not afraid to hold it up against an iPhone or Android for performance. Well built and modern looking. Really like it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Cant say I agree. The only advantage it has is the fact that it is released with current gen specs. Well put together and stylish sure but there's no real innovation compared to what has come before. I don't see any criteria for it being crowned the best of all time apart from it being the newest.

For me the best of all time would be the one that broke barriers and created trends and that would be the Lumia 920. First with OIS, wireless charging, Pureview, super sensitive touch, PureMotion HD+, glance, double tap to wake, 2.5D curved screen, ClearBlack display, HAAC recording and outstanding build quality. Best ever IMO.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I think it's arguably the best ever. If it had a 950/950XL quality camera, it would be hands down. Even lacking that, it wins by a nose. :grin:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't even say it's the best Windows phone now never mind all time. Lumia 950xl or HP Elite x3 are the best just now and I'd give that to the Lumia as it has Glance, Hello, Continuum and an awesome camera. Best of all time I'd go for Lumia 920 for the same reasons someone stated above. It was a game changer for Windows Phone. Then Lumia 1020 and 1520 a close joint 2nd. The 1020 camera was and still is phenomenal and the 1520 was a beautiful slab of a phone that covered all based ans still holds up today many years later.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't even say it's the best Windows phone now never mind all time. Lumia 950xl or HP Elite x3 are the best just now and I'd give that to the Lumia as it has Glance, Hello, Continuum and an awesome camera. Best of all time I'd go for Lumia 920 for the same reasons someone stated above. It was a game changer for Windows Phone. Then Lumia 1020 and 1520 a close joint 2nd. The 1020 camera was and still is phenomenal and the 1520 was a beautiful slab of a phone that covered all based ans still holds up today many years later.
The Idol 4S also has Windows Hello and Continuum. It has a better processor, more RAM and double the mass storage. And it also has speakers and battery life that the 950XL doesn't hold a candle to. To top it off, It was released at a considerably lower retail price than the 950XL.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not convinced that it's the best of all time but it's.really close. Only using it for 3 hours now though and as far as W10M goes though, I believe for me it's the best I've used. It's easy to hold and use in one hand. It's thin, light, and seems very sturdy. I heard and read reviews on the speakers, but to be honest until you listen to a 950 or another mono setup and then this phone you'll never know. It reminds me of the m8 stereo speakers. It's the only consumer device out at the moment that rocks killer specs. Lumia set the bar as far as camera so if you can live without that and glance screen notifications then it's the best of its time.

Sent from mTalk

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's been the best windows device for me so far.
Lumia 521 (my very first smartphone)
Lumia 925
Lumia 635
HTC One M8
Lumia 830
Lumia 735
Lumia 950
Lumia 950 XL
Alcatel Idol 4s

Why the Alcatel?
First Windows device I've had that has not had any hiccups by now (I've had the phone since T-mobile release --- been using it 90% of the time since) ... no random restarts or freezes ... ever. Most fluid and reliable running this w10m this phone has been.
Best battery life for my usage of any Windows device I've owned.
One of the best displays I've seen. Great color balance/contrast.
Among the best (if not THE best) radios/cell reception I've experienced on any phone I've had ... next to that, the Moto X Pure Edition (I just bought another one) lol
Great call/voice quality.
The best sounding speakers from any phone I've had ... edges out the One m8 and the Moto X Pure
Camera is more than acceptable ... I personally don't base a kickbutt camera as THE top priority when I buy these things.

It's comforting for me knowing that when I'm using the Alcatel ... and at times rather heavy usage ... I can make it all day with no worries my battery is going to go kaput.

First Windows phone I've had that hits the sweet spot for everything I use a phone for.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's been the best windows device for me so far.
Lumia 521 (my very first smartphone)
Lumia 925
Lumia 635
HTC One M8
Lumia 830
Lumia 735
Lumia 950
Lumia 950 XL
Alcatel Idol 4s

Why the Alcatel?
First Windows device I've had that has not had any hiccups by now (I've had the phone since T-mobile release --- been using it 90% of the time since) ... no random restarts or freezes ... ever. Most fluid and reliable running this w10m this phone has been.
Best battery life for my usage of any Windows device I've owned.
One of the best displays I've seen. Great color balance/contrast.
Among the best (if not THE best) radios/cell reception I've experienced on any phone I've had ... next to that, the Moto X Pure Edition (I just bought another one) lol
Great call/voice quality.
The best sounding speakers from any phone I've had ... edges out the One m8 and the Moto X Pure
Camera is more than acceptable ... I personally don't base a kickbutt camera as THE top priority when I buy these things.

It's comforting for me knowing that when I'm using the Alcatel ... and at times rather heavy usage ... I can make it all day with no worries my battery is going to go kaput.

First Windows phone I've had that hits the sweet spot for everything I use a phone for.

Good enough that i sold all my other phones, including Android. Well, except for my 920, I kept that one for nostalgic reasons.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Good enough that i sold all my other phones, including Android. Well, except for my 920, I kept that one for nostalgic reasons.

I like how we "dedicated Windows Mobile users" keep other phones lying around that are non-windows phones...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I like how we "dedicated Windows Mobile users" keep other phones lying around that are non-windows phones...

I'm still holding onto my 1520.3... and I've added a 1020. Just to use as cameras. And that's really part of the point I made earlier, this Idol 4S thing is great as an all-around. I don't think about un-retiring the 1520 any more like I did when I was driving a 650 daily.

There was an article around here on the blog (I think they overwrote it) that at one time said the Lumia 925 was the best all-around Windows Phone. Others were better for specific reasons, like 1020 was best camera phone. Then the 1520 moved into the all-around winner's circle.

So, like I said earlier, best of all time may not be true... But I think in the all-around it is the best we have now.

I had a 925 and I agree that it was a great all around performer, then I had a 1520 and ditto. It did everything to some degree between good and great. Now the Idol 4S has surpassed that one for me. The strengths and weaknesses are different between the two, but I feel the Alcatel is an upgrade from the 1520 in enough ways to take the all-around title.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm still holding onto my 1520.3... and I've added a 1020. Just to use as cameras. And that's really part of the point I made earlier, this Idol 4S thing is great as an all-around. I don't think about un-retiring the 1520 any more like I did when I was driving a 650 daily.

There was an article around here on the blog (I think they overwrote it) that at one time said the Lumia 925 was the best all-around Windows Phone. Others were better for specific reasons, like 1020 was best camera phone. Then the 1520 moved into the all-around winner's circle.

So, like I said earlier, best of all time may not be true... But I think in the all-around it is the best we have now.

I had a 925 and I agree that it was a great all around performer, then I had a 1520 and ditto. It did everything to some degree between good and great. Now the Idol 4S has surpassed that one for me. The strengths and weaknesses are different between the two, but I feel the Alcatel is an upgrade from the 1520 in enough ways to take the all-around title.

Yep, I am definitely leaning with you in that direction. Lets hope Alcatel supports their new creation here through this year. I would like to see them add a new feature or HW enhancements later once RS2 and RS3 come out :)

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
My first windows phone was an ATIV S; it was such an awesome step up from my old iPhone 4. Better camera and larger screen. Then I moved up to the Lumia 830. Super awesome, but sometimes felt to thick and clunky; I didn't like the square edges. Then I picked up an old used ATIV SE. I modified the registry in order to install Windows 10. This phone was much more powerful and advanced than the ATIV S. This phone was sadly underrated and overlooked. I think it is the best Windows phone of all time (mostly has the same specs as the Lumia ICON). So when I am trying out my new IDOL 4S, i'm always comparing it to that phone. So far, i'm not sure if the IDOL camera is as good; it's early; I need to use it more, so i'm still trying to figure out the settings options. Hopefully, my pics and vids will be as good or better than my ATIV SE....
Oops...forgot; I also have a Lumia 650; very happy with the OLED screen, but the camera is very very weak, and the 1 GB of RAM is just not enough to keep the thing running smoothly...

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Not really a fair comparison as it's one of the newest phones co.pared to phones of the past. As specs go it is one of the best.

As far as camera it's average/above average at best

And has one of the best designs. I think it's o e of the best and one of the best had the second best I've owned was the Lumia 928

Sent from Idol 4s

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I've not had a chance to use this phone. However, I want the Lumia 620 to get a special mention. I fondly remember trading in my iPhone 4 to get one and I never looked back. I really liked that little Lumia, and even brought a replacement as mine died from running, and I still have it. In fact, according to the internet, the Lumia 620 was, at one point, Thailand's most popular phone.

I really enjoyed my 1520, I gave that to my friend and now he loves it. My 640XL is also a great phone and I am enjoying my 950XL too which is my current Windows phone. Funnily enough, unlike the Android and iPhone models I have also had, I have always liked the Windows phone models I got. I cannot say that for any other phone platform.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I love that you said that, haha. The Idol 4s is really a magical phone from everything I'm reading. Kind of wish there was a mini of it. Seriously, even though I am a chronic switcher, you can't pay me to give up my Windows phone. I must always have one, my Android phone would have to go first before my Windows Phone.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about "best ever", but my WP/WM progression has been: HTC HD7->HTC Arrive (with hardware keyboard!)-> Lumia 900->Lumia 920->Lumia 830->Lumia 950XL->Alcatel Idol 4S. The Alcatel is by far the nicest phone I've owned-- I always scoffed at the reviewers who talked about "build quality" but now I get it. It's a beautiful device that feels good in the hand. Also, the battery life is the best of any of those phones. Two things keep it from "best ever" IMO: the lack of NFC and the lack of wireless charging. Add those two and it would win.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
x3 then 950xl then 950, then Alcatel. The Alcatel is new the others like 950 and 950xl have better Camera,NFC and Wireless charging, Alcatel is TCL a cheap producer of devices, unlike HP and MS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss