Alcatel Idol 4S: Best Windows Phone of all time?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
x3 then 950xl then 950, then Alcatel. The Alcatel is new the others like 950 and 950xl have better Camera,NFC and Wireless charging, Alcatel is TCL a cheap producer of devices, unlike HP and MS.

Have to disagree. X3 could be argued if you want a large device, otherwise Alcatel fits the bill for the rest of us. Using the Alcatel is pure enjoyment, smooth and fast. Battery life beats the pants off my old 950. Great speakers. Fingerprint scanner for security. It certainly is a personal choice but the Alcatel is anything but a cheaply made phone.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
x3 then 950xl then 950, then Alcatel. The Alcatel is new the others like 950 and 950xl have better Camera,NFC and Wireless charging, Alcatel is TCL a cheap producer of devices, unlike HP and MS.

They may be a producer of cheap devices, but this is anything but a cheap device. It's very high quality with excellent fit and finish. I would put it's build quality up against any of the flagship phones.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you used one, let alone owned one? Your description of Alcatel is nothing but a worn sound byte parroted by those who have no working knowledge of the brand. The BlackBerry DTEK60 is a sister device and it's heralded as a true flagship yet the Idol is nothing but a "cheap Alcatel" simply because it's donning a Windows logo. The 950 series would kill for build quality like the Idol and the HP isn't anywhere near it in the camera or audio department.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
For now i will share this. I really can say I prefer the Alcatel Idol 4s over the x3. But to each his own.

As far as popular features/capabilities the idol 4s is lacking in nfc and QI compared to the x3. I don't use nfc yet so that is an obvious win for me. I only really used QI in a pinch while at work but is a convenient feature. But not necessary for me. I'm still feeling this phone out at the moment, but already I like using it more than the x3. It really is a worthy phone. Both phones are definitely eye catchers that's for sure.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't know; I took it up to the ski hill today, and tried to take some video clips, but the camera had a unbelievably terrible time figuring out the brightness/darkness/contrast of the snow and the trees....this is just one short clip. It did this all day; Drove me nuts....

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/0f1A3rfMkfA?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]I don't know; I took it up to the ski hill today, and tried to take some video clips, but the camera had a unbelievably terrible time figuring out the brightness/darkness/contrast of the snow and the trees....this is just one short clip. It did this all day; Drove me nuts....
I'm sure there are phone cameras that can handle it much better. I'm sure you've seen better from phones or video cameras. But as a professional videographer I can tell you that snow is difficult for all video cameras. I have a $5k video camera and I would never use it in auto mode under those conditions (even though it would do an adequate job in auto mode and most people would be satisfied with it).

What's happening here is that the camera is getting confused as to what the white balance and contrast should be. It sees the bright white snow and the darkness of the clothes, trees and skies and it just get's confused. When it sees the bright snow it lowers the contrast and loses proper white balance. When the dark (the girl's clothing) comes into frame closer to the camera. it raises contrast and the scene comes back into balance. The reason it goes in and out is because it can't decide which is correct. This is where a firmware update could make a world of difference for this phone. The camera module is being let down by firmware and software. The only way you can possibly get decent video from the camera as it is would be through manual settings.

I've attached two stills from your video so you can see what I mean.

Idol still 2.jpg Idol still.jpg

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
build quality like the Idol .
Ok build quality is good, but the features it lacks as previously stated, a true flagship device needs those too, it has a Fingerprint scanner!? Well the 2 year old 950's has an Iris scanner, NFC Wireless charging and a superior camera, for those facts it can not be the "BEST" windows device of all time, even if it was Gold plated it would fall bellow the others because of what it lacks.
Describe "BEST" ...

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Idol 4s is only a Mid-Range phone on Android so to claim it as the best Windows Phone of all time is pretty sad tbh

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Idol 4s is only a Mid-Range phone on Android so to claim it as the best Windows Phone of all time is pretty sad tbh

The Windows version did get significant hardware upgrades vs the Android version: better SoC, more internal storage, more RAM, more MP in the rear camera, Type-C USB... No NFC though and the display resolution went down a notch.

Out of curiosity, how many Snapdragon 820, 64GB storage, 4GB RAM, 21MP camera phones on Android are considered Mid-Range?

alcatel Idol 4s Windows vs. alcatel Idol 4s - GSMArena.com

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Windows version did get significant hardware upgrades vs the Android version: better SoC, more internal storage, more RAM, more MP in the rear camera, Type-C USB... No NFC though and the display resolution went down a notch.

Out of curiosity, how many Snapdragon 820, 64GB storage, 4GB RAM, 21MP camera phones on Android are considered Mid-Range?

alcatel Idol 4s Windows vs. alcatel Idol 4s - GSMArena.com

Quite a few tbh. Axon 7, Letv Le Max Pro, Blackberry DTek60 (Rebranded Idol 4s), to name but a few

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99