Alcatel Idol 4S: Best Windows Phone of all time?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Quite a few tbh. Axon 7, Letv Le Max Pro, Blackberry DTek60 (Rebranded Idol 4s), to name but a few

So is this based on price? Brand appeal? Or performance?

When I took my Idol 4S Windows to AnTuTu it scored #2 in the rankings. Hardly seems Mid-Range to me. It ranked three slots above Lumia 950 XL.

wp_ss_20170125_0002.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This reply sounds a little childish.

I don't think I understand. How is stating facts childish? If you look at any spec sheets, it is proven that the Windows version has a better processor, along with some other things over the Android version.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To be clear...

The highest SoC on Windows Phone currently is the Snapdragon 820. It is used in 3 phones, The Alcatel, the HP Elite X3 and the Acer Liquid Jade Primo. 3,5GB (effective) RAM is the most that the 32 bit OS can run. Outside of the Lumia 1020's 41MP shooter, the platform has never gone above 21MP. 64GB internal storage is the most ever offered on the platform, shared by Alcatel and Elite X3. Only 3 phones have had a display above 1080p, the Elite X3 and the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. There are only 7 Type-C, Continuum enabled phones: Idol 4S Windows, Elite X3, Jade Primo, Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, NuAns Neo and Coship Moly PcPhone...

In terms of Windows Phone this is the current pinnacle. To compare it to other platforms is like comparing fish and mammals.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So is this based on price? Brand appeal? Or performance?

When I took my Idol 4S Windows to AnTuTu it scored #2 in the rankings. Hardly seems Mid-Range to me. It ranked three slots above Lumia 950 XL.

View attachment 133886

Execution? I'm always looking for flagship killers to try out and I like to try something different with great specs at lower than Flagship prices. I wanted the Axon 7 til I read the reviews on forums about it's sub-par camera (sound familiar?). One Plus are a great example that Flagships can be beaten by a so called Mid Range phone.

And please don't think I'm trying to knock the Idol 4s, I'm over the moon that OEMs are still willing to give Windows Mobile a shot and it's maybe not for me as a great camera is high on my priority list as well as notifications I can see at a glance with either Always On Display or an l.e.d but I'm just saying maybe our expectations or standards have slipped a little in recent times if this can be considered the best of all time?

The whole reason I jumped from an iPhone 7plus and a Galaxy s7 edge before that is because I can still get all the thing's I need and more at a fraction of the price with a little compromise on apps.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And please don't think I'm trying to knock the Idol 4s, I'm over the moon that OEMs are still willing to give Windows Mobile a shot and it's maybe not for me as a great camera is high on my priority list as well as notifications I can see at a glance with either Always On Display or an l.e.d but I'm just saying maybe our expectations or standards have slipped a little in recent times if this can be considered the best of all time?

The camera is actually not as bad as some make it out to be. I guess it comes down to are you and point and shoot user or one who likes to compose shots and use a digital darkroom...

I say Idol 4S is the new all-around champ and not the best of all time... But I certainly think it rises above Mid-Range, especially in comparison to this platform in isolation.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Why are some members bringing up Android phones here? The thread is about the best WINDOWS phone, not a comparo piece including Android.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@RumoredNow - love your original post at the top of this thread. Had no idea your history of Windows Phones was so deep. That's amazing. Glad you're liking the 4S too, I agree with you on most points. If you could change anything about it, what would you change to make it less of an 'all around' phone and more of a 'must have'?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The camera is actually not as bad as some make it out to be. I guess it comes down to are you and point and shoot user or one who likes to compose shots and use a digital darkroom...

I say Idol 4S is the new all-around champ and not the best of all time... But I certainly think it rises above Mid-Range, especially in comparison to this platform in isolation.

I still believe the camera can be improved upon with software updates. I hope they do and I also hope they release it here in the UK as I'd still love to give it a try

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure there are phone cameras that can handle it

What's happening here is that the camera is getting confused as to what the white balance and contrast should be. It sees the bright white snow and the darkness of the clothes, trees and skies and it just get's confused. When it sees the bright snow it lowers the contrast and loses proper white balance. When the dark (the girl's clothing) comes into frame closer to the camera. it raises contrast and the scene comes back into balance. The reason it goes in and out is because it can't decide which is correct. This is where a firmware update could make a world of difference for this phone. The camera module is being let down by firmware and software. The only way you can possibly get decent video from the camera as it is would be through manual settings.

I've attached two stills from your video so you can see what I mean.

View attachment 133870 View attachment 133869

Thanks for you input. I've never had this problem with my ATIV S, SE, or Lumia 830. The cameras on these phones didn't switch back and forth during a vid shoot. It seems like the IDOL sensor is 'too hypersensitive'. I'll have to play around with it some more...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@RumoredNow - love your original post at the top of this thread. Had no idea your history of Windows Phones was so deep. That's amazing. Glad you're liking the 4S too, I agree with you on most points. If you could change anything about it, what would you change to make it less of an 'all around' phone and more of a 'must have'?

Thanks @James Falconer chronologically I have been on this platform steadily for about 3 1/2 years now. Many of the devices I listed ran through my hands rather quickly, but I did give them all a thorough shakedown. LOL

I still believe the camera can be improved upon with software updates. I hope they do and I also hope they release it here in the UK as I'd still love to give it a try

Yep, Camera is probably the one area that most needs help to further elevate this device.

As I posted elsewhere, I don't think Alcatel ever really adds camera firmware, they seem to let the Snapdragon chip handle it. Yet the advances in Microsoft Camera already look to have improved things vs at release so some improvements may still happen, albeit passively as far as Alcatel is concerned.

So to make this phone a 'must have' it would definitely need a camera facelift via firmware that would put it on par, or at least closer to, PureView. This would take some of the work out of post-shot editing, allow DNG capture (trust me, I tried the Reg Edit to enable DNG and there just are not the underpinnings to do so), add a wider range of values in manual settings and add selectable MP options including an oversampled 8MP JPG.

Qi Wireless charging might be a plus for convenience, but with a good adaptive charger like an Aukey and a quality cable the thing charges so stupid fast I don't miss Qi. Although some purists might insist on having it.

Likewise NFC which is viewed as optional by some should also be added.

Maybe, just maybe a 1440 p screen, but I'm not big on going above 1080p on small screens (6" and under) as I don't like the power drain tradeoff.

Some might want a larger battery. Please refer back to stupid fast charging on this one.

Other Lumia touches like Glance... Talk to the Licensing Attorneys. LOL

Not every phone will do everything equally as well. The largest perceived weakness is the camera. The most overlooked advantage is the built in VR. To me they even out. I have a 1520 and a 1020 standing by for camera and I want to explore the VR/AR realms now emerging. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and use scenario.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe, just maybe a 1440 p screen, but I'm not big on going above 1080p on small screens (6" and under) as I don't like the power drain tradeoff.
For capable screens/devices Microsoft should come with the option to select your resolution preference. I'm going to actually submit that in the Feedback app.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Even though a glance screen notification is not available for non-lumia phones I got some what of a work around for it for me. I made my lock screen true black. So when banner notifications come it lights up against the black background. And even though I can't lift it to see what's come in new I can dbl tap it to wake it for a second and check. Not as definitive or creative as Glance but works for now.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Quite a few tbh. Axon 7, Letv Le Max Pro, Blackberry DTek60 (Rebranded Idol 4s), to name but a few

I do not see those as qualified midrange devices, but rather flagship competitors. Unless your definition of mid range is different.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not true, they have different specs so cannot compare then.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

That would be like saying the Dodge Challenger Hellcat Edition is a lame performer because it shares the same name with the base V-6 model. Not!!!

Anyway, enough with Android comparisons.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I think one of the issues we're running into in this discussion is the definition of what a flagship phone is.

In 2017, here's my definition:
It must have the latest available processor, maximum usable RAM, a minimum of 64 gigs of mass storage and a fingerprint or iris scanner. And it must also have superior build quality and long battery life. After that, everything else is a feature that some people will want and others won't care about one way or the other. Features will determine for an individual whether or not it's the smartphone for them. That's why we end up with differing opinions about what is currently the best (in this case Windows phone). But the lack of certain features should not disqualify a phone from being considered a flagship.

Let's start with the camera. I came close to adding a high quality camera to my must haves. But then I considered how many people that have a smart phone that rarely or never take pics or video with it. Then there are others that take pics daily. These two groups of people would view the camera differently.

NFC: I never use it and likely never will IF it continues in it's current state of implementation. For the purposes of making payments, too many retailers are not on board. I'd rather consistently use the same method for making payments, which is why I continue to use a credit card. Pulling out a credit card is no more of a hassle than pulling out the phone. For the other uses of NFC, it's too inconsistent. That, said, there are people that use it regularly for making payments, so for them it's a usable feature (frankly, even though I know that, I've never seen anyone paying with their phone, so it makes me wonder what percentage of transactions are completed this way?).

Wireless charging: I've never had it, so I don't miss it. It's takes me a matter of seconds to connect the USB C cable. But others find it to be a great convenience.

Glance: I had it since my Nokia N8 (which I still use as a bedside clock) so I understand the convenience. But, I really haven't missed it. It would be a welcome addition, but it's certainly not a necessity.

Continuum: For me it's a major selling point and something I use regularly that takes the phone to another level of functionality. But for others it's a feature they'll never use (and if it was a requirement for a flagship, no other OS would have a flagship phone!).

I could go on, but I think my point is clear. Sometimes we just get it in our heads that we "need" certain features, probably because we like to see a phone loaded with specs. For a long time I would check to make sure that the phone had FM radio when I was looking to make a new purchase, until I realized it's a feature I haven't used in a very long time (and if I suddenly get the urge, I still have four phone what have FM). What I'm saying is, For me the Idol 4S is the best current Windows smart phone, even with the shortcomings of the camera. But I can understand that the camera alone could be a deal killer for someone else. But just because a certain feature is a deal killer for me, doesn't mean a particular phone does not deserve flagship status. Even with the few things that this device doesn't excel at (or doesn't have), I believe it's a worthy competitor to any flagship regardless of OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12