Alcatel Idol 4S: Best Windows Phone of all time?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Out of this entire forum we seem to have 3 to 5 defenders of the Idol4s, this is a very poor demonstration of the device and its amazing attributes.
The device (I am sure) is lovely and the owners of it are happy, that's great, its nice to hear of some success. Now if we had 3 to 500 positive viewpoints I would be convinced but as we seem to be in single figures I am not convinced that this is the BEST windows phone.

You're assuming that every owner of this phone should be aware of this site and this particular thread. We can all rest in peace knowing you're not convinced this phone isn't the GOAT. That's a big burden lifted from us, believe me.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Out of this entire forum we seem to have 3 to 5 defenders of the Idol4s, this is a very poor demonstration of the device and its amazing attributes.
The device (I am sure) is lovely and the owners of it are happy, that's great, its nice to hear of some success. Now if we had 3 to 500 positive viewpoints I would be convinced but as we seem to be in single figures I am not convinced that this is the BEST windows phone.

I understand you are frustrated with Windows mobile and have moved on to Android. I hope its going well. For the rest us, especially those of us using this particular device, we have a different view point. Most likely the thread(s) were initiated to elicit some excitement about the platform, rather than the usual negativity which gets old after a while. Is the Idol4s "officially" the best WM device? Of course not, but to many it fits our needs and we are voicing that opinion. I even made a positive comment in the "Is the 1520 the greatest Windows mobile device" thread because it seems many others like that one. If you've never used this device, or dislike WM, I don't quite understand the reason to deny others a chance to voice their opinion and have some fun.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
First, let me say that the camera is a lot easier to manage for stills than it is for video. If you're going to be using it a lot for video and you prefer auto settings, you may have to decide if this phone is for you. If I find some time tomorrow I will take it out and see what I can do.

Hope this helps!

editguy - you are awesome! Thank you so much for the taking the time to give me such a quick and detailed response! I'll try to do what you suggested. And...yes - i have ProShot, so i'll play around with its' setting too.
Thank you again!

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I understand you are frustrated with Windows mobile and have moved on to Android. I hope its going well. For the rest us, especially those of us using this particular device, we have a different view point. Most likely the thread(s) were initiated to elicit some excitement about the platform, rather than the usual negativity which gets old after a while. Is the Idol4s "officially" the best WM device? Of course not, but to many it fits our needs and we are voicing that opinion. I even made a positive comment in the "Is the 1520 the greatest Windows mobile device" thread because it seems many others like that one. If you've never used this device, or dislike WM, I don't quite understand the reason to deny others a chance to voice their opinion and have some fun.

The title of the thread is whether the Idol4s is the Best windows phone of all time, I am entitled to my opinions and they have nothing to do with the Windows platform, none what so ever, for that reason I have not even mentioned windows OS, the device lacks features and therefore I deem it not to be the best ever device. This is my standing on the position and not an attack in general regarding windows. If you don't like my comments then don't respond to them, they are not in line with the views of the people that love the device and that's the whole point of debate, if we all went with your views there would be very little to discuss would there.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The title of the thread is whether the Idol4s is the Best windows phone of all time, I am entitled to my opinions and they have nothing to do with the Windows platform, none what so ever, for that reason I have not even mentioned windows OS, the device lacks features and therefore I deem it not to be the best ever device. This is my standing on the position and not an attack in general regarding windows. If you don't like my comments then don't respond to them, they are not in line with the views of the people that love the device and that's the whole point of debate, if we all went with your views there would be very little to discuss would there.

You could've said this first instead of insinuating that because only 3-5 "defenders" rate this phone highest it ain't all that.

Rosebank

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Also.. This device has just had its price slashed considerably, this is quite worrying and I would be asking questions as to why?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Also.. This device has just had its price slashed considerably, this is quite worrying and I would be asking questions as to why?
That's easy to answer. It's T-Mobile. They will probably drop it soon. It's what they did with their version of the L640 and yet that phone sold quite well otherwise. So, no, it doesn't worry me and I have the answer to the question. T-Mobile.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I'm going to repeat what I've said to others, if it sells more who cares? It gets it into the hands of more people, maybe even new WM users. Like editguy said, I think it's just what T-mobile does, so not worth reading anything into.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It seems as though the initial run of Idols sold out. The latest batch, including the fresh one I got today, are already on the AU unlike the earlier ones on 10586. Shame on me for trying to have an extramarital affair with that high maintenance iPhone.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The best anything of all time can't exist because time continues. Wait until time no longer exists, then we can discuss the best of whatever of all time.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It seems as though the initial run of Idols sold out. The latest batch, including the fresh one I got today, are already on the AU unlike the earlier ones on 10586. Shame on me for trying to have an extramarital affair with that high maintenance iPhone.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Wow that is crazy...these phones must have been sitting somewhere since last February...

Mine came with 14393..67 or .189 when I got it. I cannot remember because it updated to .693 before I downloaded all my apps.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow that is crazy...these phones must have been sitting somewhere since last February...

Mine came with 14393..67 or .189 when I got it. I cannot remember because it updated to .693 before I downloaded all my apps.
I wish I had looked to see what mine had on it. But the first thing I did was get the latest insider preview build.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if the price drop might be some price war type retaliation for MS selling an unlocked version. Maybe T-Mobile missed some fine print about exclusivity in their contract with Alcatel? If so, it gives some insight into how far T-Mobile is willing to go to get new customers and how much of a discount it takes to get someone who wants this phone to switch to T-Mobile to get it.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I need your help editguy! You sound like you know camera settings. I really want to keep this phone; I love everything about this phone, except for the camera!. I've always left my other cameras on 'auto' settings, and had great results, so I don't know what to change in the settings. Where should I start? Here's another example of the problems i'm having with this camera:
https://youtu.be/MWD68j66UeM

Darrell, here's a real quick video I did today using the standard camera app. I set the ISO to 100 and manually white balanced (not completely correct, but close). The focus was set to infinity. It's not perfect and still has some color shifting but, as you can see, the result is significantly better than what you were getting. If I can get away in the next few days I'll do one where I have time to get the WB set accurately. My mom had a stroke a few days before Christmas and it's kind of consumed most of my spare daylight hours outside of the house. :smile: One of the reasons I use dedicated cameras for outdoor videos is that I like to use manual settings and so I buy cameras that have a dedicated viewfinder (not just the LCD). With a view finder you can see the details that get washed out on a screen in the sunlight. That makes it much easier to set focus, WB and all of the other settings manually.
https://youtu.be/0vxyWcFzR0I

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you have the glove mode on. I don't find the phone to be at all too sensitive. Also, I don't know how it could run any smother. It opens apps quickly. I'm sure the X3 is very nice, but for me it's too big to carry around and the things it has that the Idol 4s doesn't have are not things I care about. And, with 64 gigs of storage and a micro SD card slot, I'm not concerned about a few apps that I can't delete. At some point the WDRT will have the unlocked model image. The only thing that would benefit from a firmware update is the camera, and sadly I agree with you that it seems unlikely that Alcatel will be doing that. For what I use a phone camera for, it's more than adequate. It's nice that we have choices though, isn't it? :smile:

glove mode is off, when typing say if you hit a letter instead of the letter showing once it will freely type about 6 of them, or when you hold down the back button to pull up multi tasking the phone will go crazy vibrating and flipping back and forth between the app and the multi tasking screen, very annoying.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Darrell, here's a real quick video I did today using the standard camera app. I set the ISO to 100 and manually white balanced (not completely correct, but close). The focus was set to infinity. It's not perfect and still has some color shifting but, as you can see, the result is significantly better than what you were getting. If I can get away in the next few days I'll do one where I have time to get the WB set accurately. My mom had a stroke a few days before Christmas and it's kind of consumed most of my spare daylight hours outside of the house. :smile: One of the reasons I use dedicated cameras for outdoor videos is that I like to use manual settings and so I buy cameras that have a dedicated viewfinder (not just the LCD). With a view finder you can see the details that get washed out on a screen in the sunlight. That makes it much easier to set focus, WB and all of the other settings manually.
https://youtu.be/0vxyWcFzR0I
Hi editguy. Thanks so much for taking your time to do this! The video is locked 'private' so i can't view it...can you change the settings?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
glove mode is off, when typing say if you hit a letter instead of the letter showing once it will freely type about 6 of them, or when you hold down the back button to pull up multi tasking the phone will go crazy vibrating and flipping back and forth between the app and the multi tasking screen, very annoying.
Then I would say you either got a defective phone or you need to do a hard reset. Mine has never done anything like that and I haven't seen anyone else posting a problem like that..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss