Alcatel Idol 4S: Best Windows Phone of all time?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi editguy. Thanks so much for taking your time to do this! The video is locked 'private' so i can't view it...can you change the settings?
I hate YouTube. It's funny that it says it's private because it completely deleted my video. I guess deleted is as private as you can get. :grin: Anyway, let's try this again.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I hate YouTube. It's funny that it says it's private because it completely deleted my video. I guess deleted is as private as you can get. :grin: Anyway, let's try this again.
The original video looks better. YouTube processing makes it look worse.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
glove mode is off, when typing say if you hit a letter instead of the letter showing once it will freely type about 6 of them, or when you hold down the back button to pull up multi tasking the phone will go crazy vibrating and flipping back and forth between the app and the multi tasking screen, very annoying.
Sounds like a bug or a need for a fw fix.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Which part of "Preview" do you think is responsible for your NFC not working right? When I had my 950 on the AU I tried the wallet app just to see what the difference was between using my phone and using my card. It worked perfectly but I didn't see any advantage so I stopped using it. In all fairness I only used it for a couple of days, maybe a week.

Many members, myself included, state unequivocally that the 950s don't do well on the Insider Builds. The Idol didn't work well for me either on any other build except the AU.

As stated, I have used ALL combinations of Preview, from having none all the way to fast ring. None of them consistently work with the wallet 2.0 app (the card disappears, solved only by a soft reset). And if you only used it for a week you probably didn't have enough experience to run in to this issue.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As stated, I have used ALL combinations of Preview, from having none all the way to fast ring. None of them consistently work with the wallet 2.0 app (the card disappears, solved only by a soft reset). And if you only used it for a week you probably didn't have enough experience to run in to this issue.
Why not try just ONE combination of production build if you want things to work properly. Microsoft states clearly and unambiguously that the Insider builds are NOT meant for normal use. They're for testing and developmental use only. So shall ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
https://youtu.be/HxqN4-DlA7c
Thanks for taking the time to take the vid editguy! Yes - it looks quite clear and the exposure is 'stable'. Look at the photos I've just taken; notice how the whites are totally overexposed; I used the regular Microsoft camera, ProShot, and Camera360Sight; they all basically have the same white overexposure problems:
WP_20170218_19_43_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20170218_19_48_12_Pro.jpg

The phone got very hot when taking these pics; it locked up a few times; had to force restart. Got 2 error messages. I'm just having a really bad time with the camera/photo performance on this phone. Too bad - I love everything else about it!

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
The phone got very hot when taking these pics; it locked up a few times; had to force restart. Got 2 error messages. I'm just having a really bad time with the camera/photo performance on this phone. Too bad - I love everything else about it!
Using the standard camera app, you should be able to eliminate that by using the manual brightness control. Cameras on auto settings frequently get confused with stage lighting. The reason is that the camera sees the dark curtains at the back and it raises exposure because it thinks it's a dark scene. Or, it sees the bright lights and lowers exposure making the scene to dark. Some cameras have such good firmware that they can distinguish between the black and the bright lights and come to a balance on their own. But I've seen videos shot with camcorders without manual controls where all of the faces of people on the stage look like white ghosts with undiscernible features. You would adjust settings in the same way whether you're shooting stills or video. If you use Pro Shot the exposure setting is at the bottom of the screen.

I haven't had mine get hot, but I have had ProShot freeze up a couple of times.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Why not try just ONE combination of production build if you want things to work properly. Microsoft states clearly and unambiguously that the Insider builds are NOT meant for normal use. They're for testing and developmental use only. So shall ye sow, so shall ye reap.

Ok, I'll try this one last time-- it didn't matter if I was on stock or any of the insider builds. It didn't consistently work. Let me repeat that (again): it DIDN'T WORK consistently ON STOCK. It didn't work consistently on Release Preview. It didn't work consistently on Slow Ring. It didn't work consistently on Fast Ring. I can safely say, for me, no matter what the ROM, it didn't work consistently.

The point of all of that was that tap-to-pay was so buggy for me on the 950XL that I don't consider its absence on the Idol a disadvantage.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Today was supposed to be a light day what with President's Day and all. NOT!!! 185 emails and counting. Continuum has been put to the test and considering my phone's been off the charger since 5:30AM and I've nearly drained my ink tank on my printer, my battery is still at 30%. I don't know any other phone could've handled this load and run about 4 hours worth of Continuum. I'm beyond impressed.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Today was supposed to be a light day what with President's Day and all. NOT!!! 185 emails and counting. Continuum has been put to the test and considering my phone's been off the charger since 5:30AM and I've nearly drained my ink tank on my printer, my battery is still at 30%. I don't know any other phone could've handled this load and run about 4 hours worth of Continuum. I'm beyond impressed.

I've been beyond impressed with the battery life. I don't know if it's the "lower" resolution screen or what, but it's the best of any phone I've ever had.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been beyond impressed with the battery life. I don't know if it's the "lower" resolution screen or what, but it's the best of any phone I've ever had.
Yeah. Its very good. Not quite L1520 good (see attached) but close and everything else a distant 3rd at best.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150205_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20150205_0001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. Its very good. Not quite L1520 good (see attached) but close and everything else a distant 3rd at best.
The 1520 can't do Continuum. Don't get me wrong, I think the 1520 is probably the best all-around device. But we can't compare features that are not present in both. The horsepower required to run Continuum would tax that SD800 and 2GB of RAM quickly. The Idol barely heats up and yet the 950's SD808 gets very hot. I'd hate to see what would happen to the 1520 with its gear.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I think the 1520 is probably the best all-around device. But we can't compare features that are not present in both.
I was responding to someone who was comparing Idol 4S battery life (only) with all other phones. It's okay with me if he wants to do that.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Really nice device, smooth as silk.

Right now my one issue is the messaging font is so small. Any way to mess with that?
On this device I changed all Text on the device to 130%. Ease of Access->More options->Text scaling. All font will grow from default by 30%

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077