Impressions After Two Days

gpstrucker42

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Finally made it back from Florida to my office in Wisconsin and picked up my shiny new Idol 4s. It's a very sweet looking phone. As the battery was completely dead out of the box I had to impatiently wait for it to charge up enough to get started setting it up.

After using it for a couple of days now I am, for the most part, very happy with it. The speakers on this thing are excellent, the camera, well, not so much.

Coming from Android I was well aware of the "app gap" when I ordered the phone, but the majority of the apps I use regularly were available and with one exception either 3rd party or browser interface alternatives were available. The two major apps that I use a lot that aren't available I'll simply use on one of my Android tablets or my iPad. Not a big deal. I was very pleased to see that Garmin Connect is available to sync my Fenix 3 HR watch and that it works (that would have been a deal killer for me).

It did take a bit of web searching to figure out how to get my favorite ringtone, a snippet of Mozart, to work on the phone, but I got that figured out.

The OS and UI are great, I really like them (this is coming from a very long time Linux user LOL).

I had my doubts that this Windows phone could be a good daily driver for me, but can say that I am pleasantly surprised to find that I think it will do nicely. The radio does an even better job than my Galaxy S7 Edge, it gets a pretty solid LTE connection in places where the S7 struggles. The battery life is also pretty impressive.

Now if the camera were only better I would call it nearly perfect.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Finally made it back from Florida to my office in Wisconsin and picked up my shiny new Idol 4s. It's a very sweet looking phone. As the battery was completely dead out of the box I had to impatiently wait for it to charge up enough to get started setting it up.

After using it for a couple of days now I am, for the most part, very happy with it. The speakers on this thing are excellent, the camera, well, not so much.

Coming from Android I was well aware of the "app gap" when I ordered the phone, but the majority of the apps I use regularly were available and with one exception either 3rd party or browser interface alternatives were available. The two major apps that I use a lot that aren't available I'll simply use on one of my Android tablets or my iPad. Not a big deal. I was very pleased to see that Garmin Connect is available to sync my Fenix 3 HR watch and that it works (that would have been a deal killer for me).

It did take a bit of web searching to figure out how to get my favorite ringtone, a snippet of Mozart, to work on the phone, but I got that figured out.

The OS and UI are great, I really like them (this is coming from a very long time Linux user LOL).

I had my doubts that this Windows phone could be a good daily driver for me, but can say that I am pleasantly surprised to find that I think it will do nicely. The radio does an even better job than my Galaxy S7 Edge, it gets a pretty solid LTE connection in places where the S7 struggles. The battery life is also pretty impressive.

Now if the camera were only better I would call it nearly perfect.
Congrats on your purchase. Don't be offended if I say you sound like a scratched record touting the speakers, looks, battery life and cell radio while dissing the camera. It is our cross to bear with this beauty.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
The camera is my only true complaint. I just got one as well, but as a second phone. Mainly due to the fact that the camera quality is horrid, compared to my 950. That alone is a deal-breaker. It's one of the main criteria I look for in a phone.

I never used that many apps in the first place when I used iOS, so the app situation isn't too big of a deal. When I saw some shots from the Lumia 950's camera, I was instantly sold. Even though, the build quality was a MAJOR downgrade from my previous phone, the Lumia 930.

The only other gripes I have is that it does not have NFC for payment or sharing data, and wireless charging! It may seem trivial, but there are at least 10 Qi pads in my house because of how accustomed I got to it.

Also, I'm on AT&T, so I had to get someone else who is on T-Mobile to buy it under their account, otherwise I'd have to purchase a plan in order to get it. Very sneaky of them! Just glad I was with someone who happened to be on T-Mobile at the time. Will have to wait 40 days, then I can request an unlock code! I just want to use this device, it's constructed so beautifully with excellent precision. The curved screen reminds me of my first Lumia, the 800. I carry an iPhone with me everywhere (no SIM) so I'll just have to readjust to taking photos on a different platform.

gpstrucker42

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Well, broken record or not, the camera is the weak point for this otherwise excellent phone. Not a deal breaker for me though.

After using this phone exclusively for a week now I don't really have any complaints about it. It has done everything I have needed from it.

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, broken record or not, the camera is the weak point for this otherwise excellent phone. Not a deal breaker for me though.

After using this phone exclusively for a week now I don't really have any complaints about it. It has done everything I have needed from it.

Sent from mTalk
If it had a decent camera we'd be like HP who? Lumia what?

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I "discovered" how well Remote Desktop works on Continuum compared to iOS, my 6S+ has been furloughed to "The Drawer of Death" where my G5 and various antiques reside.

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had it for almost a week and I'm fine with the camera so far. The auto enhance has been fine for me.

Really impressed with this phone and WM 10. I'm knocking on wood here but it's really been smooth sailing so far.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had it for almost a week and I'm fine with the camera so far. The auto enhance has been fine for me.

Really impressed with this phone and WM 10. I'm knocking on wood here but it's really been smooth sailing so far.

I've had the exact same experience. One of the smoothest phones I've had in a while.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree that the LTE radio in this phone is superb, I have weak T-Mobile LTE/4G reception at home and this is the best windows phone reception out of any phones here.:cool: Welcome GPStrucker42, thanks for the tip on the Garmin watch, do you like the Win phone App for Garmin and does it support all there products?

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Mmazeo, where is the auto enhance setting located? I would like to try it on my wife's Alcatel Idol 4s if I can get it out of her hands for a few minutes.:wink:

gpstrucker42

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
I agree that the LTE radio in this phone is superb, I have weak T-Mobile LTE/4G reception at home and this is the best windows phone reception out of any phones here.:cool: Welcome GPStrucker42, thanks for the tip on the Garmin watch, do you like the Win phone App for Garmin and does it support all there products?

The app is pretty much the same as the Android app and does appear to support all of their wearables as far as I can tell.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm impressed how Alcatel/TCL set this phone up. Unlike the only other SD820 device running W10M I have had zero glitches/bugs/issues with this phone. No spontaneous reboots, freezing, or repeated app crashing...nothing. I am using the the same exact setup I used on the x3 when I owned it --apps/settings and the experience is far better on the IDOL and have only really been using it for about 2 weeks.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm impressed how Alcatel/TCL set this phone up. Unlike the only other SD820 device running W10M I have had zero glitches/bugs/issues with this phone. No spontaneous reboots, freezing, or repeated app crashing...nothing. I am using the the same exact setup I used on the x3 when I owned it --apps/settings and the experience is far better on the IDOL and have only really been using it for about 2 weeks.

I think it's interesting that the X3 is getting so much attention for firmware updates (and it's to HP's credit that they are supporting the phone) when you realize that means that there were issues to fix. The only thing I can see that the Idol would benefit from a firmware update is the camera. Otherwise, this phone is virtually flawless.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think it's interesting that the X3 is getting so much attention for firmware updates (and it's to HP's credit that they are supporting the phone) when you realize that means that there were issues to fix. The only thing I can see that the Idol would benefit from a firmware update is the camera. Otherwise, this phone is virtually flawless.
Don't forget maybe a cool feature or two (color profile/other gestures) or if only some how a non-Lumia phone could get the glance feature or something of the like...official LED support for notifications without having to regedit, something...

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Don't forget maybe a cool feature or two (color profile/other gestures) or if only some how a non-Lumia phone could get the glance feature or something of the like...official LED support for notifications without having to regedit, something...

Maybe support for sensorcore (read step counting) while they're at it too! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb