Double tap to wake problems

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Still dealing with teething problems with my 4S. I've turned on double tap to wake, and it works fine, but I notice the phone is often (at least several times a day) turning on in my pocket. Strangely, it mostly seems to be loading OneNote and creating a couple of gibberish notes.

I never had this problem with my other Windows phones, has anybody seen this? I keep wondering if I have a slightly misaligned sensor (between this and my auto-speaker problem I covered in another post).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it isn't Hey Cortana misfiring? That might explain the OneNote if she thinks you said "take a note."

My Hey Cortana was so oversensitive I ended up turning it off. No hardship really. It was always difficult for her to distinguish between the phone being addressed or the laptop, I can long press the Search button from anywhere and now I've added Band 2 and can just long hold the action button...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My Hey Cortana was so oversensitive I ended up turning it off. No hardship really. It was always difficult for her to distinguish between the phone being addressed or the laptop, I can long press the Search button from anywhere and now I've added Band 2 and can just long hold the action button...
That took guts. I loved my Band 2 but when the band split close to the warranty end, I didn't even get it replaced. Another year would just make the inevitable mourning that much harder.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That took guts. I loved my Band 2 but when the band split close to the warranty end, I didn't even get it replaced. Another year would just make the inevitable mourning that much harder.

Band 1 had the same separation issues, or nearly the same. I never saw any of it. I wonder if people are simply wearing the thing too tight and in the wrong position.

I wear mine face in and lower down than the metacarpal bones, it's actually lower than the flare at the end of the radius and ulna bones. I also don't ratchet it down, it is just tight enough for friction to hold the sensors in place.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I had a gibberish OneNote item, too, but I believe I had placed the awakened phone into my pocket first, and anything could have happened.

My case is the Stilgut brand, made for a Blackberry model, which fits perfectly on the 4S. Usually I would close the case cover and slip it into the pocket, but this one time I hadn't closed the cover first.

The nice thing about having a case with a cover is that closing the case makes the phone sleep, and opening the case wakes it up right away.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Is glove mode on? Maybe the heightened sensitivity is awakening it some how bouncing around. Also do you have a pin code set?

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
A reasonable guess, but I never turned on Hey Cortana.
Does the fingerprint scanner unlock the phone even if Windows Hello is turned off (if no pin is required)? I know sometimes while in my pocket the fingerprint scanner thinks I am swiping.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Does the fingerprint scanner unlock the phone even if Windows Hello is turned off (if no pin is required)? I know sometimes while in my pocket the fingerprint scanner thinks I am swiping.

It shouldn't. It doesn't do anything on mine since I turned it off.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The proximity sensor should keep DTtW from happening in a pocket.

Is the proximity sensor working well in other instances?

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have gloved mode on.

I exchanged the phone before I left on a trip (doing a lot of business travel right now), and it seems a lot better about not turning on in my pocket. I have had proximity sensor problems with it switching over from the speaker phone, or turning off the screen when I'm using it against my face.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb