How's the Camera app?

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
So...there were some other drivers for me needing to leave for iOS land, but, I'm seriously hating iOS. It's been 3 mos...enough to know I'm done with iOS. At $288 from t-mobile, that's a great deal.

Is the camera app reliable now?

(backstory...I would take 5 pictures, and 1, maybe 2, would show up in my camera roll.)

I had a couple videos disappear as well. No errors, just, not there. I'd like to come back, and being a t-mobile customer, that's an easy sell for me at $288.00.

It is critical the camera take and capture photos & videos reliably. I take my daughters VB video's with my phone on a tripod. I need those highlights for college recruiters.

Has it improved with the latest build updates? I'd hate to talk about visiting the little green overlord's world...but if I must I must.

TIA!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With Microsoft Camera, I'm seeing no reliability issues.

If I use ProShot with a heavy request load (like RAW to TIFF + HDR) I see some dropped captures and app crashes.

Camera itself is working great. I do save to internal and then triage the results occasionally and move the "keepers" to SD, deleting the rejects.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
The camera app is very reliable. I use a 950xl, in fact It's fast enough to capture the moment, no lost pictures or videos. However, if you enable hdr it might take a second for the picture to save and up to 30 seconds (processing image) to add hdr & dynamic flash effects but it won't hinder the performance of the camera app so you can continue to take more pictures and let the effects be added in the background.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've ordered it, and also ordered the Android Idol 4S as well. Guess I'm not ready to leave WP completely...but I love the phone design. And at current prices, I can have both for less than the iPhone 7S...so why not!

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I posted some samples in Idol 4s photo thread. During my shooting today, the camera app caused one reboot but no photo lost. Another slowdown was after shooting 10 sec of 4k video. The camera app froze but recovered a little while later, probably due to saving the 4k video. Every photo shot has a sec or 2 delay even without HDR on. With HDR on, it takes a little longer.

Comparing with 950 camera app features, you do lose Living Images and HDR editing.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Camera is pretty reliable maybe one crash a week if that

The quality in some conditions could be better but i think it's a update Microsoft could do to make it better

The pics are ok in daylight I think the main problem is the Windows camera honestly
Jt6fmAM.jpg

Hozg2Kb.jpg

Sent from Idol 4s

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Dang it. I permanently withdrew from Insider (Release) and need that update to be 100% official again. That way I can use Pimp My Band to customize my wallpaper on Band 2. You just made my wait longer...
Bummer. I think Microsoft did well again--2 weeks planned turnaround is good. Same for when AU came. PC first, 2 weeks later AU came to mobile. Good consistency.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya it aint that bad. It is not just a point and shoot camera. I have to take my time with it...but if I do I get some impressive photos.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I want to add this too...
I am loving the BofA app. Just recently posted a deposit with the app and camera shots. Convenience is all I got to say.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am loving the BofA app.

When BoA pulled their app from 8.1, I pulled my money from BoA. I made it clear to them why I was closing my accounts.

I went Ally and never regretted it. On Ally I have a full service app and I can also make e-deposits with a check image via browser on my PC. BoA only offers that to business accounts.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Like a legitimate five-second lag. The camera is straight up unusable, unless you miss the Sony Ericsson S710 days. Proshot helps, but is just too slow and quality doesn't improve much at all.

Has anyone tried an iPhone camera, or Galaxy/OnePlus/LG/Any Higher-end android camera? Even my iPhone 5s takes photos much better than the Idol. They are amazing. Such quick shutter speed. Also, for some reason, the inferior camera on the Android 4S works perfectly and takes better photos...

I think a lot of us here are lying to ourselves. It is not good, not good enough to be your main camera. Unless I want to carry around a point and shoot... I've just been conditioned to good phone cameras, from the 3GS to the 6, now to the Lumia 950. Ahh, I apologize for being so negative, it's been a long period of crappy-ness in my life lately. And I haven't been able to sleep the past couple weeks.

But anyways, camera is terrible, my Surface Pro 4 can take better pictures. I'll just leave it at that.. Hope everyone has a good day/night.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Default Camera taken photos are soft and not sharp most of the time.

My solution is to use
1. Photo - Camera 360 Sight, fast and easiest to shoot good quality photo. Proshot is just too complicated, but also works.
2. Video - default Camera app works fine for video. Extracted still from video is pretty good, as good as Camera 360.
3. Panorama - default Camera app, no other choice. The quality is good here for W10M. Can't compare to IPhone or Android, they are superior.

The Idol 4s camera has a lot of potential, but no software support, and firmware update from Alcated ruined it. I have taken some nice shots at daytime with it. IPhone and 950 of course take better and sharper shots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon