Biting the bullet and jumping in

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking of picking up a second phone too. I have been really excited about the new BlackBerry KEYone but the constant delays are getting to me and making me think twice.

Remember the Idol and Keyone both come from TCL. We almost died waiting for the Windows edition to finally get here. The Idol is one hell of a device. Be patient. Hood things sometimes take time.

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
So it appears that unlike the Alcatel on android the front led on the Windows version doesn't show notifications. Just got my 4S a few days ago but also have the idol pro 3. I already miss the glance on my 640XL.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
S

SO, long post to get here. Are there any tips or information that I should know about in regards to this phone? Any suggestions one could give in setting it up, etc? Thank you for reading my post and commenting.

I tried the IDOL 4S for about 3 weeks; loved this phone! Excellent build quality and 'feel'; i bought a sleeve/case, but only used it for a day; the phone has such a premium feel, i just couldn't cover it up. Perfect size; nice bright screen. The only problem i had was the camera - i take a ton of pics, and i was having problems with the exposure. I very reluctantly sent it back to the Windows store (for full refund), and picked up a 950 XL. Even though this phone does not have the same 'feel' and premium build quality as the IDOL, the camera is absolutely amazing! Takes better pics than my friends' Galaxy S7s. So...if camera quality is at the top of your list for phone requirements, you might be slightly disappointed. But...if camera is not the most important thing, the 4S will be a pleasure to use!

Dmd74

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Remember the Idol and Keyone both come from TCL. We almost died waiting for the Windows edition to finally get here. The Idol is one hell of a device. Be patient. Hood things sometimes take time.

Yes, Alcatel makes both the Idol and the KEYone. I have long loved BlackBerry. The issue I have is that I had liquidated some of my things in the expectation of purchasing the K1. But even in doing so I was reluctant as I despise Android. While waiting I was using my Priv and my disdain for Android only increased. So much so that I have serious concerns in regards to my using a K1 now. Therefore I am investing in the WM ecosystem. I only wish that I could get notifications to my Fitbit Blaze from my Idol.

Dmd74

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
I tried the IDOL 4S for about 3 weeks; loved this phone! Excellent build quality and 'feel'; i bought a sleeve/case, but only used it for a day; the phone has such a premium feel, i just couldn't cover it up. Perfect size; nice bright screen. The only problem i had was the camera - i take a ton of pics, and i was having problems with the exposure. I very reluctantly sent it back to the Windows store (for full refund), and picked up a 950 XL. Even though this phone does not have the same 'feel' and premium build quality as the IDOL, the camera is absolutely amazing! Takes better pics than my friends' Galaxy S7s. So...if camera quality is at the top of your list for phone requirements, you might be slightly disappointed. But...if camera is not the most important thing, the 4S will be a pleasure to use!

Pictures are not of utmost importance to me. Using the Idol for a day now. So far so good, although it has been a short sample size.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So it appears that unlike the Alcatel on android the front led on the Windows version doesn't show notifications. Just got my 4S a few days ago but also have the idol pro 3. I already miss the glance on my 640XL.

Send to feedback hub please (Glance). I keep doing that for these simple items. Glance has migrated to an OS setting and theoretically is a OS feature now not OEM feature. Microsoft can enable it if they want to, or at least I feel they can.

LED notification however are not an enabled item on any Windows phones (by default. Only as a charging indicator...but. It can be enabled on most Lumias and few others windows phones through regedits.

Last edited:

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
After 5 days with my new 4S here's what I think. Speed test opening things versus my 640Xl ranges from less then a second to maybe 3 seconds. Not impressed. Alcatel freezes and locks sometimes where 640Xl doesn't. Speakers are great, screen great, finger print scanner great. So far 4S hasn't sync my favorites yet. Really considering returning.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
After 5 days with my new 4S here's what I think. Speed test opening things versus my 640Xl ranges from less then a second to maybe 3 seconds. Not impressed. Alcatel freezes and locks sometimes where 640Xl doesn't. Speakers are great, screen great, finger print scanner great. So far 4S hasn't sync my favorites yet. Really considering returning.
Are you on the latest factory build (14393.1066)?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Are you on the latest factory build (14393.1066)?

Also is this a T-Mobile variant?

Dmd74

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site

I haven't experienced any of this at all thus far. Hopefully it will remain that way.

Dmd74

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Hijacking my own thread but could one tell me what may be gained, or lost, by using the fast ring as opposed to the slow?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hijacking my own thread but could one tell me what may be gained, or lost, by using the fast ring as opposed to the slow?

If you're using this as a daily driver I would advise against the Insider builds. There's no advantage or any new features to speak of but there's always the possibility of something broken.

Dmd74

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
If you're using this as a daily driver I would advise against the Insider builds. There's no advantage or any new features to speak of but there's always the possibility of something broken.

I may be facing that no. The phone's earpiece has mysteriously stopped working toady. Trying to get it back up now.

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Just sent My Alcatel back. Stopped reading SIM as LTE, stopped getting internet without WIFI, head phone jack issues, stopped reading SD card. Darn, I had high hopes. :eek:( Guess I'll wait for something else similar to come out or maybe just make the switch to Android. Don't wanna but MS just keep dangling a carrot and moving it away every time I reach for it. My 640XL runs fine but not sure why it won't update to 15205?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Just sent My Alcatel back. Stopped reading SIM as LTE, stopped getting internet without WIFI, head phone jack issues, stopped reading SD card. Darn, I had high hopes. :eek:( Guess I'll wait for something else similar to come out or maybe just make the switch to Android. Don't wanna but MS just keep dangling a carrot and moving it away every time I reach for it. My 640XL runs fine but not sure why it won't update to 15205?

Perhaps you just got a bad device (not MS's fault). Many of us have the Idol4s and don't have those issues.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Well its time to jump! from 640 XL to Idol 4S! i know its weird because the future in this moment its gray from Win 10mobil and alcatel (?) but damn look so pretty and cheap(279$) the 950 (get hot like for nothing! hate it) so give luck guys! :p

Danial Hilow

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm on the fast ring and no problems. Phone runs great. Only thing id say to do is def get a case and tempered glass screen protectors the phone looks great but very slippery in hand with no case. There's also some well known headphone jack issues

Sent from Idol 4s

Do you have the T-Mobile or unlocked version? If unlocked, were you able to use WDRT successfully?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss