04-25-2017 07:24 PM
45 12
tools
    Alcatel is holding out on something. No FW updates yet, no unlocked FFU in case you need to hard reset with WDRT, no new news yet that I know of saying anything otherwise though. I am banking they release something soon to enhance some areas on this phone.
    04-21-2017 05:43 PM
    Alcatel is holding out on something. No FW updates yet, no unlocked FFU in case you need to hard reset with WDRT, no new news yet that I know of saying anything otherwise though. I am banking they release something soon to enhance some areas on this phone.
    I've wondered if they decided to wait for the Creators update to give us the FFU. Not cool. if that is the case.
    nate0 and RumoredNow like this.
    04-21-2017 10:01 PM
    Great phone if you're still interested in Windows 10 Mobile

Sent from Idol 4s
    RumoredNow and anon(9809330) like this.
    04-22-2017 04:59 AM
    I usually try to spend less on a new phone. Not one for splashy purchases. This phone is still pretty new. Might be two years before we get a Cortana with bots powered smartwatch though, so maybe next year I'll buy this.

Provided it runs windows on arm, which I think it should.
    04-22-2017 06:48 AM
    The folks over at Microsoft are not known for retrofitting. I wouldn't count on W10ARM rolling out to the SD 820...

If it did, it would come from HP pressuring them. Even then Alcatel might not care to pick it up.
    nate0 and editguy like this.
    04-22-2017 06:59 AM
    Thanks! damn i love glance... love a band 2 but think first going to try with a MI band 2 :p and hey, its true the VR only work with the in built interface(5 apps: games, photos and videos and Pics 360 and vids 360) i mean i cant download some apps with 360 support on the store?

There are a few VR games in the store that are free. I have a cheap VR headset for my 1520.
    04-22-2017 07:33 AM
    The folks over at Microsoft are not known for retrofitting. I wouldn't count on W10ARM rolling out to the SD 820...

If it did, it would come from HP pressuring them. Even then Alcatel might not care to pick it up.
    Well I'm not counting on it. But I figure there must be some motivation for them heavily dropping phone models for the CU, ones that can actually run the CU fine. It seems they are picking off the ones with low performance.

IDK, but I made this wild guess that maybe the drivers for the hardware in windows 10 mobile, operated like the drivers in windows 10 in general. If that's the case, then any phone with powerful enough specs would be able to upgrade by running some kind of upgrade assistant. Which would explain them dumping support for phones perfectly capable of the CU of windows 10 mobile.

It primarily depends on driver compatibility, to how viable that idea is.

But I could be wildly wrong. Windows on ARM is firstly for tablets and laptops. I doubt it will come to mobile this year anyway (ie, they'll probably take their sweet time creating the responsive UI for small screens). Guess when its released, MS will tell us more of its plan for the platform.
    RumoredNow and TgeekB like this.
    04-22-2017 07:41 AM
    I doubt anything under the SoC 617 could even be considered for W10 ARM. My guess is none will carry over. Though theoretically W10M being a stepping stone to it, all phones categorized now are a training field for what is to come. I started picking up in the registry some areas that caught my attention. It was in reference to directories that did not exist under %SYSTEMROOT%, or at least not yet. The directory was listed as \windows\sysarm32 and this was on my Lumia 650. I do not know enough about the W10M OS to say whether this is old news or not. However I doubt the 650 will make the cut to the W10 ARM version, but if they need to get any R&D with data collection from it to further development then it has to be setup the same way as all the other 13-14 models left. When the CU update comes and gets into full swing, for me things will start to get interesting.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-22-2017 01:18 PM
    As tough as it is sometimes I love to see threads go off track, but in a good way :).

It is 284.99 on amazon ;)
    04-22-2017 01:21 PM
    I usually try to spend less on a new phone. Not one for splashy purchases. This phone is still pretty new. Might be two years before we get a Cortana with bots powered smartwatch though, so maybe next year I'll buy this.

I honestly doubt it will still be around next year. I think it's on it's way out now, sadly.
    04-22-2017 01:33 PM
    Someone else should come with a different SD820 that offers all the stuff the IDOL lacks. Clean up the rest of the fans left back on board. If I were an ODM/OEM that is what I would do. Learn from the Elite X3 and Idol 4s' short comings...
    editguy, RumoredNow and mark233 like this.
    04-22-2017 01:36 PM
    Someone else should come with a different SD820 that offers all the stuff the IDOL lacks. Clean up the rest of the fans left back on board. If I were an ODM/OEM that is what I would do. Learn from the Elite X3 and Idol 4s' short comings...
    I believe (hoping) this phone will last me until the next gen phones/devices arrive. I don't see why it shouldn't. I can handle any shortcomings it may have.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    editguy, anon(9809330) and mark233 like this.
    04-22-2017 02:14 PM
    I believe (hoping) this phone will last me until the next gen phones/devices arrive. I don't see why it shouldn't. I can handle any shortcomings it may have.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    I can deal with the short comings too, but only if I know they will not be there indefinitely. The shortcomings I see or would like changed, are ones that can be added or updated. So, unless I knew they will always be that way I keep looking for ways to work around them or add them on my own. Hoping either Microsoft adds or Alcatel updates.
    04-22-2017 03:40 PM

It won't it requires sd 835 and up...when they demoed it they used a modified 820

Now unless someone is able to hack it it won't work

Sent from Idol 4s
    04-22-2017 09:56 PM
    It won't it requires sd 835 and up...when they demoed it they used a modified 820

Now unless someone is able to hack it it won't work

Sent from Idol 4s
    Oh yeah your right I think. Because they actually worked with QUALCOMM to make it work. Probably why the emulation layer doesn't effect performance significantly.
    04-22-2017 10:59 PM
    As far as the Idol 4S for Windows goes and whether you should "still" purchase one, I don't see why not. I recently bought a brand new one from Swappa for $250. Great value for the money. I honestly believe that this is a great buy for that price. In fact you would be hard pressed to find another phone as decently spec'd, and as well built, for what the Idol 4S for Windows is currently selling for .
    nate0, RumoredNow, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    04-24-2017 07:16 AM
    It's the only W10M with a form fitting VR headset. No light bleed enhances the experience as I found out going from a generic "fits any" to a purpose built.
    libra89 and nate0 like this.
    04-24-2017 08:21 AM
    As long as you include "paying full price" for those of us who are paying T-Mobile monthly.
    anon(9809330) likes this.
    04-24-2017 08:35 AM
    As long as you include "paying full price" for those of us who are paying T-Mobile monthly.
    T-Mobile racked in on those while they could. Now one can just buy an unlocked model at 250-290 and flash the T-Mobile FFU to it.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    04-24-2017 08:48 AM
    Now I'm wondering if I should have picked up the 950 xl instead...

The price difference is miniscule... hmm
    04-25-2017 07:24 PM
45 12