Would you still buy a Alcatel IDOL 4S?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Good time to use any extra Bing rewards points you have laying around. Get that Amazon credit and your Idol 4s is now $5 cheaper.

Too late! Phone ordered! :)

It is way more phone than 650 in every way except (over) saturation of the screen and camera. The 650 takes amazing great pics for what it is.

Check this thread and I think that you'll find the Idol 4S has improved in camera over it's shaky start. http://forums.windowscentral.com/alcatel-idol-4s/445106-official-idol-4s-picture-video-thread.html Not an earth shaking camera, but it does get the job done.

I really hope you're right. Whenever my girlfriend and I travel we have to depend on her iPhone 6 to take pictures. Granted I was never big on pictures so I never cared about phone camera quality.... But since I met her, she loves taking pictures and I like taking pictures with her :)

The 650 was a disappointment in terms of camera quality to me. I really hope the Idol 4s does a better job :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I really hope you're right. Whenever my girlfriend and I travel we have to depend on her iPhone 6 to take pictures. Granted I was never big on pictures so I never cared about phone camera quality.... But since I met her, she loves taking pictures and I like taking pictures with her :)

The 650 was a disappointment in terms of camera quality to me. I really hope the Idol 4s does a better job :)

Congrats, I hope that you'll enjoy yours. Funny how you made an accessories thread last year and now you'll have one :) Looking forward to your impressions.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Congrats on the new device! I look forward to hearing how you like it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

The 650 uses EIS. The IDOL4s is capable, but to me it is not even implemented...yet.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Alcatel is holding out on something. No FW updates yet, no unlocked FFU in case you need to hard reset with WDRT, no new news yet that I know of saying anything otherwise though. I am banking they release something soon to enhance some areas on this phone.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Alcatel is holding out on something. No FW updates yet, no unlocked FFU in case you need to hard reset with WDRT, no new news yet that I know of saying anything otherwise though. I am banking they release something soon to enhance some areas on this phone.

I've wondered if they decided to wait for the Creators update to give us the FFU. Not cool. if that is the case.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I usually try to spend less on a new phone. Not one for splashy purchases. This phone is still pretty new. Might be two years before we get a Cortana with bots powered smartwatch though, so maybe next year I'll buy this.

Provided it runs windows on arm, which I think it should.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The folks over at Microsoft are not known for retrofitting. I wouldn't count on W10ARM rolling out to the SD 820...

If it did, it would come from HP pressuring them. Even then Alcatel might not care to pick it up.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! damn i love glance... love a band 2 but think first going to try with a MI band 2 :p and hey, its true the VR only work with the in built interface(5 apps: games, photos and videos and Pics 360 and vids 360) i mean i cant download some apps with 360 support on the store?

There are a few VR games in the store that are free. I have a cheap VR headset for my 1520.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The folks over at Microsoft are not known for retrofitting. I wouldn't count on W10ARM rolling out to the SD 820...

If it did, it would come from HP pressuring them. Even then Alcatel might not care to pick it up.

Well I'm not counting on it. But I figure there must be some motivation for them heavily dropping phone models for the CU, ones that can actually run the CU fine. It seems they are picking off the ones with low performance.

IDK, but I made this wild guess that maybe the drivers for the hardware in windows 10 mobile, operated like the drivers in windows 10 in general. If that's the case, then any phone with powerful enough specs would be able to upgrade by running some kind of upgrade assistant. Which would explain them dumping support for phones perfectly capable of the CU of windows 10 mobile.

It primarily depends on driver compatibility, to how viable that idea is.

But I could be wildly wrong. Windows on ARM is firstly for tablets and laptops. I doubt it will come to mobile this year anyway (ie, they'll probably take their sweet time creating the responsive UI for small screens). Guess when its released, MS will tell us more of its plan for the platform.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I doubt anything under the SoC 617 could even be considered for W10 ARM. My guess is none will carry over. Though theoretically W10M being a stepping stone to it, all phones categorized now are a training field for what is to come. I started picking up in the registry some areas that caught my attention. It was in reference to directories that did not exist under %SYSTEMROOT%, or at least not yet. The directory was listed as \windows\sysarm32 and this was on my Lumia 650. I do not know enough about the W10M OS to say whether this is old news or not. However I doubt the 650 will make the cut to the W10 ARM version, but if they need to get any R&D with data collection from it to further development then it has to be setup the same way as all the other 13-14 models left. When the CU update comes and gets into full swing, for me things will start to get interesting.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I usually try to spend less on a new phone. Not one for splashy purchases. This phone is still pretty new. Might be two years before we get a Cortana with bots powered smartwatch though, so maybe next year I'll buy this.

I honestly doubt it will still be around next year. I think it's on it's way out now, sadly.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Someone else should come with a different SD820 that offers all the stuff the IDOL lacks. Clean up the rest of the fans left back on board. If I were an ODM/OEM that is what I would do. Learn from the Elite X3 and Idol 4s' short comings...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Someone else should come with a different SD820 that offers all the stuff the IDOL lacks. Clean up the rest of the fans left back on board. If I were an ODM/OEM that is what I would do. Learn from the Elite X3 and Idol 4s' short comings...

I believe (hoping) this phone will last me until the next gen phones/devices arrive. I don't see why it shouldn't. I can handle any shortcomings it may have.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I believe (hoping) this phone will last me until the next gen phones/devices arrive. I don't see why it shouldn't. I can handle any shortcomings it may have.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

I can deal with the short comings too, but only if I know they will not be there indefinitely. The shortcomings I see or would like changed, are ones that can be added or updated. So, unless I knew they will always be that way I keep looking for ways to work around them or add them on my own. Hoping either Microsoft adds or Alcatel updates.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

It won't it requires sd 835 and up...when they demoed it they used a modified 820

Now unless someone is able to hack it it won't work

Sent from Idol 4s

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It won't it requires sd 835 and up...when they demoed it they used a modified 820

Now unless someone is able to hack it it won't work

Sent from Idol 4s

Oh yeah your right I think. Because they actually worked with QUALCOMM to make it work. Probably why the emulation layer doesn't effect performance significantly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes