02-14-2018 01:30 AM
321 12345 ...
tools
    That makes sense. Interesting finding.
    05-11-2017 07:25 PM
    Well the only update since Wednesday is the following: "Hi Nathan! Good day, I'm really sorry for all these inconvenient, already updated your case with the IMEI and your RMA and escalated it to my supervisor."

The RMA is already done (speaker issue), but they wanted to look into that I am guessing in the event the flash failing with WDRT is related to it, which it is not obviously. I will call them today hopefully in about an hour and try to find out the next steps, then post back what I find out.

Update: Not open on Sunday's...
    Last edited by Nate W; 05-14-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    05-14-2017 10:17 AM
    I spoke to a rep in chat from the support department. He had no update to provide me on the current case. I explained the scenario in a nutshell and that the PLAT ID is a mismatch between the open market devices and the open market ffu. I asked him what Alcatel plans to do about it and here is the quote from him in an excerpt of the chat transcript. Looks like they know about it, but no time line. My name was replaced with "Me" and the admins name replaced with "Tech":

5/15/2017 13:17 Me can you tell me if anyone looked at my case, or updated it since last Thursday?
    5/15/2017 13:18 Me If not can you tell me what I need to do to escalate my case?
    5/15/2017 13:18 Me or return my phone ?
    5/15/2017 13:19 Tech For this to be correct it would be to wait for an update.
    5/15/2017 13:19 Me but how do I or you know that is coming?
    5/15/2017 13:19 Me and yes, I would assume the same as you
    5/15/2017 13:19 Me but we do not know if that will happen
    5/15/2017 13:20 Me is there a time line?
    5/15/2017 13:20 Tech They are working on it, but we do not have an estimated time on when it will be available.
    5/15/2017 13:20 Me ok
    5/15/2017 13:20 Me Do you have any details you can provide at all?
    5/15/2017 13:21 Me I do not mind waiting, but how do you know they are working on a FW update that would correct the PLAT ID issue?
    5/15/2017 13:23 Tech That information, I wouldn't be able to provide you with. It would be to wait for the update and see if this corrects the issue.
    RumoredNow and Jonathanmr7 like this.
    05-15-2017 03:45 PM
    Q: will they update the phone or the FFU?

If the FFU then there is hope to just cross flash T-Mo branded Idol 4S. :D
    nate0 likes this.
    05-15-2017 05:21 PM
    Q: will they update the phone or the FFU?

If the FFU then there is hope to just cross flash T-Mo branded Idol 4S. :D
    If they update the FW and it holds true for them how these updates have been provisioned, tracked, and archived in the past for other Windows 10 phones. Then there's hope of un-branding the T-Mobile model still.

In my viewpoint it's a simple fix. But I did not engineer the device or sw. Tired of waiting to see what might happen, you know. Hoping though it's the fw update like originally thought. With other fixes :)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-15-2017 05:56 PM
    Even though it was my fault and I purposely flashed the T-Mobile FW, and even though anyone could make that mistake since it lets you flash it without restrictions---I ended up having to mail my IDOL4s back (again). They emailed me back on Thursday stating that was the only solution they could provide me at this time to have the FW and OS corrected for the open market model. Good news from this though, is it seems Alcatel is aware of the problem with the FFU being unable to flash on it's own and are working on a solution, or at least that is what I am concluding. Will report back if I have any more current news on this.
    05-21-2017 08:13 AM
    Microsoft would have fewer irate customers if they locked down the firmwares to specific variants like Apple and BlackBerry do.
    editguy likes this.
    05-21-2017 02:16 PM
    yes take for example the HP firmware for the x3 on wdrt, they have 2 different versions but hp was smart and neither firmware can be flashed to the wrong device. I visited the MS store here where I lived and expressed my issue with the 4s, the tech person said their they they don't have any tools to fix the problem because Microsoft have been very bad at supplying stores with the appropriate tools to fix issues when it comes to mobile and they only have the same tools as the customer for fixing issues.
    05-21-2017 03:40 PM
    @Iain_S

It was their fault (OEM involved) ; they used only the flashing tools provided by Microsoft as I said in one of my messages from this thread, while they could have use or develop theirs own flashing tools.
    nate0 likes this.
    05-21-2017 06:00 PM
    So, they mailed my phone back. I got it today. It is an ESN change, which equates basically to an exchanged device. The weird part is that when booting it up it has the T-Mobile FW still. So they either gave me a T-Mobile model for some reason or they themselves could not flash the right FW to this newer device. I am only hoping it is not locked to T-Mobile...

UPDATE: yep. Locked to T-Mobile. New case escalated...
    Last edited by Nate W; 05-26-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    fatclue_98 and RumoredNow like this.
    05-26-2017 03:27 PM
    Crazy... Good Luck @Nate W
    05-26-2017 06:31 PM
    Crazy... Good Luck @Nate W
    Irritating is the word I am seeing...but hey, their second official Windows 10 mobile phone. Hopefully by the third they have most of this figured out...
    Jonathanmr7, RumoredNow and TgeekB like this.
    05-26-2017 06:39 PM
    Irritating is the word I am seeing...but hey, their second official Windows 10 mobile phone. Hopefully by the third they have most of this figured out...
    I give you credit. I don't think I would have been this patient.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    libra89 likes this.
    05-27-2017 08:45 AM
    Not much choice. But I was vocal about the mistake.

It was a mistake in attention to detail. They have you send your proof of purchase in along with the device and RMA info. Which clearly shows what I sent. Plus if it was a T-Mobile variant to begin with, then I should have gone directly through the carrier for hardware/RMA support. Am I right? The bad part is, that whoever serviced it must not have read into the notes I gave, or misunderstood what a typed out as the problem.

The end result is that they decided to send a replacement unit. Yet sent the wrong match for what I sent in. To me they are responsible for that mistake. The part that got me inpatient though was that when opening a case for their mistake yesterday, I was told a resolution should be determined by Monday or latest Tuesday. It is clear what the resolution should be.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    05-27-2017 09:10 AM
    Not much choice. But I was vocal about the mistake.

It was a mistake in attention to detail. They have you send your proof of purchase in along with the device and RMA info. Which clearly shows what I sent. Plus if it was a T-Mobile variant to begin with, then I should have gone directly through the carrier for hardware/RMA support. Am I right? The bad part is, that whoever serviced it must not have read into the notes I gave, or misunderstood what a typed out as the problem.

The end result is that they decided to send a replacement unit. Yet sent the wrong match for what I sent in. To me they are responsible for that mistake. The part that got me inpatient though was that when opening a case for their mistake yesterday, I was told a resolution should be determined by Monday or latest Tuesday. It is clear what the resolution should be.
    Did you write the note in Chinese?
    raycpl, nate0 and editguy like this.
    05-27-2017 07:03 PM
    Did you write the note in Chinese?
    Can Edge do that yet?
    editguy likes this.
    05-27-2017 10:48 PM
    @Nate W

Did you tell Alcatel support you "installed"/flashed your device with the T-Mobile firmware?

When I contacted them, I told them that I "installed" the T-Mobile firmware. They stated "installing" a new firmware voided my warranty so all cost will be out of pocket.
    05-29-2017 06:38 AM
    @Nate W

Did you tell Alcatel support you "installed"/flashed your device with the T-Mobile firmware?

When I contacted them, I told them that I "installed" the T-Mobile firmware. They stated "installing" a new firmware voided my warranty so all cost will be out of pocket.
    I did, but they did not seem to understand what I was talking about. Or at least the individuals I spoke to did not seem to. The problem is that it can be flashed and the proper one can't. So, in some cases what are people going to naturally try? I have a whole email where they explained doing an RMA and sending the device back is the only for sure way to get it fixed.
    @Luke Rossini here is an excerpt...note the subject line and original message.

Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 10:16 AM
    To:
    Subject: RE: 156338880 6071W open market FFU for the Windows Device Recovery Tool

Dear Nathan , Thank you for contacting Alcatel Support. We understand your concern and will be happy to help you with the issue that you are having. At this moment it would be to send in the device into the repair center to get it repaired for you. This email contains all the information needed to process the Warranty Repair of your Alcatel device.

SUBJECT: 6071W open market FFU for the Windows Device Recovery Tool
    This is very disappointing. I cannot fix my phone with a full flash update since my phone's PLAT ID has a mis-match from what the FFU expects. If it worsens and I am stuck with broken software and OS issues, I will need to exchange my phone. Are there plans from Alcatel to address this issue? Please provide information and an update on this.

PRODUCT NAME: IDOL 4 & IDOL 4S
    05-29-2017 10:22 AM
    @Nate W

The other part of it is it's their approved Firmware, and not some off the wall custom FW they did not certify.
    05-29-2017 10:31 AM
    Appreciate the warnings not to try to install the T-Mobile firmware. I've opened a case w/ Alcatel following the greatness that was released last night and installed despite me pausing updates. Now stuck with an unusable 4s unlocked model and don't use T-Mobile so really reluctant to try to flash that firmware.
    06-02-2017 08:04 AM
    Appreciate the warnings not to try to install the T-Mobile firmware. I've opened a case w/ Alcatel following the greatness that was released last night and installed despite me pausing updates. Now stuck with an unusable 4s unlocked model and don't use T-Mobile so really reluctant to try to flash that firmware.
    Ya that is best for now. It is a hassle I know...for me I am ok with messing around with the phone since I have several I can use as a backup.
    06-02-2017 10:46 AM
    Ya that is best for now. It is a hassle I know...for me I am ok with messing around with the phone since I have several I can use as a backup.
    The tmobile FFU does flash to the open market device, the only issues I have is well its branded tmobile and it has messed up my apn setting for Canada. still cant get mms on the device. I don't think either MS or Alcatel give a crap about this.
    06-02-2017 08:56 PM
    I was reading your comments and I see that they have a very serious problem, I have an Alcatel idol S4 but is branded T-Mobile. I can not unlock it for other carrier. Recommend some page to unlock it? thanks, regards!
    06-02-2017 10:05 PM
    Alcatel reached out today to me on Twitter via DM after I publically wrote @Microsoft @dona Sakar @AlcatelUSA thanks for bricking my phone and thanks for the broken ffu on wdrt. We will see what they come back with.
    nate0, mark233 and anon(10197358) like this.
    06-03-2017 05:13 PM
    Alcatel reached out today to me on Twitter via DM after I publically wrote @Microsoft @dona Sakar @AlcatelUSA thanks for bricking my phone and thanks for the broken ffu on wdrt. We will see what they come back with.
    Please keep us updated.
    06-04-2017 12:13 AM
321 12345 ...