02-14-2018 12:30 AM
321 ... 56789 ...
tools
    yes the FFU and xml are in that directory.
    06-12-2017 08:56 PM
    I'm thinking I should move out of that directory to try, maybe the xml is read only or has some elevated privilege in that directory.
    06-12-2017 08:58 PM
    so what would you suggest to try?
    I can create a device layout xml file from the open market ffu and you can test it with the same command just add -skipffuflash at the end of it...
    06-12-2017 08:59 PM
    ok sounds good
    06-12-2017 10:24 PM
    06-12-2017 11:08 PM
    @Nate W @Iain_S

I think that shouldn't work.

thor2 -mode emergency -configfile "emergency_flash_config.xml" -ffufile "FullFlashUpdate.ffu"
    To me, this command is only for Sahara emergency protocol (with .ede and .edp files). Attached file is an example (from Lumia 640 Dual SIM RM-1077) of what emergency_flash_config.xml file contains.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DylanCochard; 06-13-2017 at 11:04 AM.
    nate0 likes this.
    06-13-2017 05:25 AM
    Finally got tired of waiting for Alcatel to send me a FedEx label and just sent mine off to the repair center. Good news is that it's 45 minutes from my house. Bad news is the reports of people getting back a T-Mobile ROM. I specified quite clearly that I wanted the open market ROM and that flashing the T-Mobile ROM is not "fixing" my device. Hopefully that will take and they'll either get it working or send me a new/working open market device. I included a link to this thread, though my guess is that they won't likely look at it. (not really surprised there, as it's not really part of their job, but I figured if anyone cared to look they might see the issues that people are having trying to get reset their legit open market devices)
    anon(10197358) likes this.
    06-13-2017 10:52 AM
    I found out why mine got confused and mishandled. There is a section on the customer return that is misleading. It has almost every top carrier in the US and outside the us listed in its drop down menu. Well I chose AT&T since that was my carrier. I did not even check for or notice the option for 'Unlocked'.

Make sure anyone, when you submit the RMA that you use the option for carrier as 'Unlocked'.

Ex. enter_customer_return.png
    06-13-2017 11:06 AM
    Good to know. I did choose "Unlocked" as the carrier. I didn't see an option for "Is Under Warranty", though I should have specified that I have the proof of purchase in retrospect. I'll see if I can update the ticket w/ that information. :-/ I put in as much detail as I could on the form and specified that I did not want the T-Mobile ROM as well as saying that I'd be happy to do this myself, but there's no working firmware for us to use.

Edit: contacted Alcatel support - apparently there's no way for them to tweak an RMA to indicate that I do have a PoP. They tried to assure me that they're working on providing a firmware for us to use, but I'm not really sure the support reps answering the phones understand the actual issue. The rep was quite friendly and my main reason to call was to ask about the PoP details. He said that was more to speed up verifying the warranty status than anything else so I should be good there. He seemed pretty confident that they'd be able to flash the appropriate ROM. I'm hopeful, but we'll see what happens. The good news is that I should get the phone back within a week if there are no issues and no backlog in front of me.
    Last edited by paschott; 06-13-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: addendum
    06-13-2017 12:31 PM
    Still no reply from Alcatel about the tweet and DM that I've sent them. Bad support
    Last edited by DylanCochard; 06-13-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    nate0 likes this.
    06-13-2017 02:59 PM
    @DylanCochard
    Unfortunately that does not surprise me.
    06-13-2017 03:11 PM
    @Nate W @Iain_S

I think that shouldn't work.

To me, this command is only for Sahara emergency protocol (with .ede and .edp files). Attached file is an example (from Lumia 640 Dual SIM RM-1077) of what emergency_flash_config.xml file contains.
    that's for Nokia's version for emergency flashing they don't use Sahara, it uses their own protocol which is firehose and is not compatible with the thor2 mode emergency.
    06-13-2017 08:53 PM
    Further the -mode emergency can be used to change the device ID from an FFU using the sahara protocol.
    06-13-2017 08:54 PM
    ok tested the file above comes back with same error as unable to load the xml file.
    nate0 likes this.
    06-13-2017 09:07 PM
    Further the -mode emergency can be used to change the device ID from an FFU using the sahara protocol.
    Change the device ID on the device? Or, what do mean exactly and how?
    06-13-2017 09:20 PM
    that's for Nokia's version for emergency flashing they don't use Sahara, it uses their own protocol which is firehose and is not compatible with the thor2 mode emergency.
    Ya, I figured it was worth a try just to see. It would be the emmcdl command binary that can run using a firehose or another flash programmer mbn file. I used the emmcdl command to generate that xml file.
    06-13-2017 09:23 PM
    Change the device ID on the device? Or, what do mean exactly and how?
    the -mode emergency -configfile -ffufile command is used to change the device id of the phone, normally you would add both the two id's to this and then after update with a retail image. So the emergency config file would contain both the 01 and NA device id's and it would flash the ffu with the new NA device ID and prepare it for future ffu updates with just the NA device id. But at this point I'm thinking we are locked out from this function.
    06-13-2017 09:39 PM
    the -mode emergency -configfile -ffufile command is used to change the device id of the phone, normally you would add both the two id's to this and then after update with a retail image. So the emergency config file would contain both the 01 and NA device id's and it would flash the ffu with the new NA device ID and prepare it for future ffu updates with just the NA device id. But at this point I'm thinking we are locked out from this function.
    Where is that info explained at? I want to read into the emergency mode functions since the IDOL4s can be put there. Since the only security around the FFU is the Device ID at this point there should be a way and maybe we just have not found it yet.
    06-13-2017 09:53 PM
    Where is that info explained at? I want to read into the emergency mode functions since the IDOL4s can be put there. Since the only security around the FFU is the Device ID at this point there should be a way and maybe we just have not found it yet.
    @Iain_S
    I found the info I need. Thanks.
    06-13-2017 10:26 PM
    @Iain_S
    I found the info I need. Thanks.
    I think I read it on the Microsoft website for people that develop the os for the actual devices., I don't know at this point if the config file has to be some specific or not for doing this or the actual phone has this function locked out somehow.
    06-14-2017 06:03 PM
    Just an update : Alcatel has replied to my DM today.

Sorry for the inconvenience this is causing. At this moment it would be to wait until they release an update for the WRDT that will be compatible with your device.
    Alcatel, or at least the guy who has replied to my DM, didn't understand the issue. I've replied this :

For you, what « they » does mean ? If it's Microsoft, so it's that you don't understand the issue.

WDRT is compatible with Idol 4S Open Market. It's *not* an issue related to WDRT (and not WRDT), it's *not* an issue that requires a WDRT's update, it's *not* an issue that must be fixed by Microsoft. It's an issue that must be fixed by you (Alcatel).

The RTM_IDOL4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU file, that you've developed, has an issue related to the Platform ID (as I said it above). You must proceed to an update of this file to fix this issue.

So, I repeat my questions : What's Alcatel going to do ? When ?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-15-2017 09:26 AM
    Just an update : Alcatel has replied to my DM today.

Alcatel, or at least the guy who has replied to my DM, didn't understand the issue. I've replied this :
    Thanks for that update.

Alcatel is end up with a bunch T-Mobile branded unlocked variants if they decide to keep waiting longer and longer...
    06-15-2017 09:58 AM
    Well, I see that my device is being sent back to me, but I can't log in to the finetw site right now to get any details about what might have happened. The device was received yesterday and marked as received this morning, but no clue what might have happened. I guess I'll know tomorrow when I get it back. I was explicit several times that I did not want a T-Mobile ROM as that wouldn't fix my device. Maybe they have some magic way to flash to the open market ROM or just sent me back a different open market device. Maybe they just flashed the T-Mobile ROM. No idea and not sure the RMA site would show me any details even if I could log in.... More details tomorrow sometime.
    anon(10197358) and nate0 like this.
    06-15-2017 01:27 PM
    Update, the last to me.

Our engineers are working on this matter, please stay tune for an update.
    Obvious statement.

@Nate W

Sure, unfortunately.
    nate0 likes this.
    06-15-2017 01:44 PM
    Update, the last to me.

Obvious statement.

@Nate W

Sure, unfortunately.
    another one "We are working hard on provide you the best experience. When an update becomes available, we will make sure to post it."
    nate0 and anon(10197358) like this.
    06-15-2017 05:16 PM
321 ... 56789 ...