Creator Update & The Idol 4S

Gabriel Ortiz1

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I installed the Creators update last week on my Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL and it worked great, except for the sound being crackly. Then, all of a sudden this past Monday afternoon my phone began a dreaded bootloop and would not stop. I tried soft resets, hard resets and the bootloop continued. I next tried to restore my device to factory via the Device Recovery Tool. For a brief moment the problem seemed to be resolved. Then, it began again. Having already gone passed my devices warranty and it now being a useless, endlessly rebooting paperweight, I smashed it and had to purchase a new device. My advice is to wait before installing this update on any phone. MSFT really screwed us with this update.

Per Kjellqvist

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I got CU on my 950 yesterday. Much disappointed. Home screen is flashing a few seconds every time you come back to it. Selecting a WiFi station gets stuck in search mode even though it actually does connect. Pressing on/off buttons in settings is often very sluggish. Wish I could back to my previous version because I can't find one single thing in this release that is better than before.

DaHardhouse

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's a day late but who cares? I must say this has been the quickest update to come through beginning to end and the least troublesome. Kudos to Microsoft for a painless update experience.

Now comes the fury.

What in the name of all that's good did Microsoft do to Outlook Mail? To open a PDF you have only one choice and it's Edge. This is woefully unacceptable and I'll leave it at that.

You can save it first then open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I installed 15036.251 on the 4S today. I tested antutu v6 and basemark os II.
The weird think is that in antutu, the 950 XL has higher ux i/o performance score.
In basemark os II, the 950 XL had double the web score, slightly higher system score, similar memory score and lower graphics score.
Even in speed, the 4S is not faster. I think Windows 10 Mobile is not yet optimized for the 820 chip or alcatel needs performace optimisation firmware

Not saying this is wrong, just that I don't trust these types of benchmarks. I trust more real life usage.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can save it first then open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If I wanted to go through multiple steps to open a PDF from my mail I'd stay with my iPhone.

We're so used to workarounds that the line between not having a particular function and a broken one has been blurred beyond recognition.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
If I wanted to go through multiple steps to open a PDF from my mail I'd stay with my iPhone.

We're so used to workarounds that the line between not having a particular function and a broken one has been blurred beyond recognition.
If you install Adobe, there are optiins when you click on pdf file. Just click on Acrobat reader,it wilk open. No need to download or save file.

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Trying to rule out the CU update as an issue for my speaker problems, I just tried to use WDRT 3.11.34101 to reset my unlocked Idol 4S (running on ATT). No joy.
Chose "IDOL4S - T-Moble" and then it let me pick "IDOL4S - Open Market" (wierd).
It say the device firmware version is unknown, and the server firmware version is 1052.16.09031.50700. That is actually the same firmware version that is installed on the device already.
I then got it into Flash mode (after multiple retries),
and it immediately gave the illuminating message "Operation ended with failure. Software installation failed. Please try restarting your device and try the software installation again...."

Oh well.
What is the best way to get Alcatel warranty RMA on an open market device? How long have you folks had to wait to get your device replaced? What kind of paperwork was required? I really cannot go without a phone, so I'm trying to decide how to proceed. Suggestions?

RMA took me about 1 week (5-7 days). Go to this thread for info we are seeing regarding the FFU issue. Alcatel ultimately needs to address this IMO.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
My hunch is that Alcatel is preparing a FW update. It is the only way this makes sense (FFU flashing failing on the Open Market NA model). All we can do is wait and see for now.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You didn't read my first post on this subject, the Creator Update has broken this function. Edge is your only option to open attached PDF files.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, PDF attachments can only be opened with Edge. The option to open with other apps is gone. Hopefully an update fixes this soon.

After a hard reset same result? bummer. Wonder if it is that new ebook store thing that messed it up? I bet next cumulative will fix if a hard reset did not.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Things I've noticed with mine:

Finger print scanner is hit and miss... more miss than hit.. becomes annoying after a while
"Hey Cortana" is also more miss than hit, even after I "Trained" her to learn how I say hey Cortana.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire