Creator Update & The Idol 4S

Danial Hilow

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
When you are the author of something you know it inside and out better than anyone. Hence a Lumia running less HW is as good or better than the newest flag ship...that is one of the reasons I picked up a 950XL recently.

Yes, that is true but to a certain point I believe. The 950 XL was performing slower than the 950, but after the first firmware update, Rich Woods from Neowin showed how it's performance nearly doubled.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, that is true but to a certain point I believe. The 950 XL was performing slower than the 950, but after the first firmware update, Rich Woods from Neowin showed how it's performance nearly doubled.
It takes knowing your product to push a fw bit that almost dbls performance. I own the xl too. It's a quick lil thing. Gets warmer than the idol but it shows for it.

bigblip00

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Upgraded to CU on my unlocked Idol on ATT, worked fine for a few days, but now having horrible sound problems when using the built in phone speakers. Sounds like the speakers are being over-driven. When listening through bluetooth, it is fine. Happens with phone calls, ringtones, Groove, Audible audiobooks.... Arrrrrrgggghhhh! (Yes, I posted to Feedback hub.)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I had that happen to me but it did it before the OS loaded during the boot screen which I believe blew the speakers (probably not the same issue). It was odd, but then when I played sound at low volumes it was distorted badly. Mailed it back to their Depot as an RMA and when it came back has worked ever since. Not sure what they did to fix it.

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Upgraded to CU on my unlocked Idol on ATT, worked fine for a few days, but now having horrible sound problems when using the built in phone speakers. Sounds like the speakers are being over-driven. When listening through bluetooth, it is fine. Happens with phone calls, ringtones, Groove, Audible audiobooks.... Arrrrrrgggghhhh! (Yes, I posted to Feedback hub.)

Yes be careful, when I installed the CU on the fast ring a few weeks ago, my speakers blew and i had to get it replaced. Seems like i'm not the only one. That's why i have yet to update. Watching this thread closely lol

Danial Hilow

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I had that happen to me but it did it before the OS loaded during the boot screen which I believe blew the speakers (probably not the same issue). It was odd, but then when I played sound at low volumes it was distorted badly. Mailed it back to their Depot as an RMA and when it came back has worked ever since. Not sure what they did to fix it.

Oh wow, that's a weird thing to happen. I had that too, but I thought it was because i pressed power+volume down and it may have caused it. It's fine for me so far but it was scary haha.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone with CU on alcatel been able to acticate WhatsApp web?

When I try to scan the qr code on web.whatsapp.com , it just keeps refocusing and refocusing. i'm not sure if this is a problem is a CU problem because I didn't use my alcatel on 14393

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I updated to CU last week and I've had nothing but problems. Even after a hard reset with no backup restore, I still get a blank screen for about 5 sec when I start the camera. When I play videos, from Edge or from myTube, my screen goes blank or flashes for a few secs. One or both speakers stops working occasionally until a restart. I also get constant disconnect from LTE IMS registration, so I don't get Wifi Calling or VOLTE.

I am going to use WDRT to go back to AU until official release of CU from T-Mobile. I hope I am not the only one with these issues, because that means my phone likely has hardware issues. Does anyone else with a T-Mobile Idol 4S on 15063.251 having issues similar to mine?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Oh wow, that's a weird thing to happen. I had that too, but I thought it was because i pressed power+volume down and it may have caused it. It's fine for me so far but it was scary haha.

Yes it was. After multiple hard resets it was still the same. Good now though after the repair of whatever it was.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone with CU on alcatel been able to acticate WhatsApp web?

When I try to scan the qr code on web.whatsapp.com , it just keeps refocusing and refocusing. i'm not sure if this is a problem is a CU problem because I didn't use my alcatel on 14393

its a problem of whatsapp servers

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I am going to use WDRT to go back to AU until official release of CU from T-Mobile.
Unless I've misunderstood, carriers won't be handling OS updates. Those will come directly form MS. The only thing the carrier would be involved with is a firmware update.

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
What version is it? As far as I know Mobile is not getting a true Creators Update. It's still in the 15xxx correct? Alcatel needs to provide firmware updates but doubt that'll happen. Not enough sold. Bad Microsoft, bad!!!! I had a 4s and had to return it. SIM card reader stopped reading LTE hence no internet without WIFI and it stopped seeing the SD card as well. SAD :eek:( It could have been a nice phone but internals need help.

Danial Hilow

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I updated to CU last week and I've had nothing but problems. Even after a hard reset with no backup restore, I still get a blank screen for about 5 sec when I start the camera. When I play videos, from Edge or from myTube, my screen goes blank or flashes for a few secs. One or both speakers stops working occasionally until a restart. I also get constant disconnect from LTE IMS registration, so I don't get Wifi Calling or VOLTE.

I am going to use WDRT to go back to AU until official release of CU from T-Mobile. I hope I am not the only one with these issues, because that means my phone likely has hardware issues. Does anyone else with a T-Mobile Idol 4S on 15063.251 having issues similar to mine?

I have the unlocked version, but i have similar issues to you.
I have read that in Italy, some people got an update that is later than 15063.251, i cannot remember the number exactly. I hope we will receive that this coming patch tuesday.

bigblip00

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Trying to rule out the CU update as an issue for my speaker problems, I just tried to use WDRT 3.11.34101 to reset my unlocked Idol 4S (running on ATT). No joy.
Chose "IDOL4S - T-Moble" and then it let me pick "IDOL4S - Open Market" (wierd).
It say the device firmware version is unknown, and the server firmware version is 1052.16.09031.50700. That is actually the same firmware version that is installed on the device already.
I then got it into Flash mode (after multiple retries),
and it immediately gave the illuminating message "Operation ended with failure. Software installation failed. Please try restarting your device and try the software installation again...."

Oh well.
What is the best way to get Alcatel warranty RMA on an open market device? How long have you folks had to wait to get your device replaced? What kind of paperwork was required? I really cannot go without a phone, so I'm trying to decide how to proceed. Suggestions?

tboling

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I have the CU on my Lumia 950. The only problem I've come across is the Glance screen doesn't keep time correctly. This is a big issue for me, since I use my phone as my alarm clock. How did they miss this one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett