Creator Update & The Idol 4S

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Have the same issue its a bug with the creators update I believe or either Alcatel needs to push a firmware fix for this

Not sure why u had to pay $20 for a warranty replacement, it only costs $5

Sent from Idol 4s

I don't have the Device Protection plan so replacements costs $20 instead of $5.

The most annoying bug is the proximity sensor not working when taking calls, I keep mashing buttons or hanging up on people while on a call. This bug wasn't even new for me, I had it in AU 14939. Maybe I will go on fast ring to see if it still persists.

I do not expect that Alcatel will release a firmware update since I assume this phone did not sell well considering T-Mobile discontinued it shortly after release. Therefore, I hope Microsoft can fix these problem via software update, but I am not hopeful.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, if this makes anyone feel better. I'm moving back to my Idol full time for now.

My 'top tier' iPhone 7 Plus 128GB...that I paid cash for...locked up on Siri today when I asked for directions. SO...rebooted it...and all of a sudden I have 11 voicemails. 11! Some with tax questions I thought I had been ignored on.

Piece of crap. so...that'll be on ebay shortly. (oh..and bluetooth rarely auto-connects when I get in the car.)

Now...to read up on the current issues. Proximity sensor doesn't sound like fun.

Last edited:

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the proximity sensor issue...during phone calls, my screen goes dark when I put the phone to my face. I also haven't found/discovered any bluetooth issues? The Idol connects to my earbuds automatically when I turn them on, same for my Aux 'cord' Bluetooth device (an MPOW). So far, no issues on my Idol. We'll see how the battery life is today after a full days use.

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
damn now i see the proximity sensor issue, u put in the "face" the phone and if u move i dk "the phone" then screen back, yesterday using whatsapp see the issue

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the proximity sensor issue...during phone calls, my screen goes dark when I put the phone to my face. I also haven't found/discovered any bluetooth issues? The Idol connects to my earbuds automatically when I turn them on, same for my Aux 'cord' Bluetooth device (an MPOW). So far, no issues on my Idol. We'll see how the battery life is today after a full days use.

Mine goes on and off even when I'm holding the phone steady. It has lead to many calls dialed to the person that I'm already talking to. Very annoying.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine goes on and off even when I'm holding the phone steady. It has lead to many calls dialed to the person that I'm already talking to. Very annoying.

Well, that stinks. I've tested it multiple times today, calling my work number. I can pull the phone about 1 inch away from my face before the screen comes on. If I go closer...turns off. For once...my phone is solid.

Well...though it did only save 1 of the 6 prom pictures I took of my daughter tonight. :eck: Always something...why is it always something...

miraidave

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Well, that stinks. I've tested it multiple times today, calling my work number. I can pull the phone about 1 inch away from my face before the screen comes on. If I go closer...turns off.

I just tested the proximity issue by using my office phone to call my cell phone several times. I have identified that the problem only occurs if the proximity sensor is being covered at the time the call is received. Therefore, if you have your phone in your pocket, and you receive a call, the proximity sensor will not work for the duration of that call. On the other hand, if you have your phone face up on your desk and receive a call, it will work perfectly fine.

I tried to submit a feedback to using the Feedback App, but who knows if Microsoft will look into this.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have an issue where sometimes i will make a call and i can see the call connect on the other end but i cannot hear anything. I don't know if the other person can hear me as i never asked. I restart the phone and i can make calls like normal. It's really annoying as sometimes it happens a couple times during the day.

Other than this, the other issues i have are:

Proximity sensor
Can't use whatsapp web
Camera flashing black when opening
Video flashing black when rotating to landscape
Finger print scanner is hit and miss
Hey cortana hit and miss (never works when connected to my vehicle bluetooth)

Has anyone tried fast ring insider?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I have an issue where sometimes i will make a call and i can see the call connect on the other end but i cannot hear anything. I don't know if the other person can hear me as i never asked. I restart the phone and i can make calls like normal. It's really annoying as sometimes it happens a couple times during the day.

Other than this, the other issues i have are:

Proximity sensor
Can't use whatsapp web
Camera flashing black when opening
Video flashing black when rotating to landscape
Finger print scanner is hit and miss
Hey cortana hit and miss (never works when connected to my vehicle bluetooth)

Has anyone tried fast ring insider?

I've had the call thing happen to me also.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Simple things like the call issue ruins the experience for me.

I'm not big on apps and stuff like that but it's the little things that matter.

We have no inclination of a firmware update from alcatel and im seriously considering picking up the OnePlus 3T ... (or wait for the release of the One Plus 5 in June.)... I was thinking about waiting for the iPhone 8 but not sure if i can wait that long with a phone that i have to keep restarting to make a simple phone call.

Will probably keep the alcatel in a box and return at a later date...

When my Lumia 650 fell i was ready to jump ship but there is one app in the store (Money wallet) that i have been using for the last 4 years.. That is seriously the only thing keeping me tied to the platform. I spoke to the developer and he said he is working on a Web version so hopefully that comes out sooner that later...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile branded ROM or open market?

The reason I ask is I am on the T-Mobile ROM with CU, but I have enabled a couple of things (enhancements) since I am on AT&T, and had not experienced this yet.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In latesst mobile insider i see they made this fix... Tempting to jump on insider:

We fixed an issue where the Call audio did not move to speaker after removing the headset on some phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)