Windows Device Recovery Tool disaster

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I agree that Alcatel's nonexistent support is a big part of the problem here. This problem could easily be solved by them today with minimal effort. It's inexcusable.

I also agree with you that it's not Microsoft's job to write Alcatel's .ffu. However, it is Microsoft's job to make sure that their utility works as intended instead of serving up an .ffu that they know can't be flashed. Could you imagine if other professions took this same approach to their job?

Aircraft mechanic: "Yeah, I know this engine doesn't work properly, but it's not MY responsibility to make sure that the factory assembled it correctly. Oh well. I'll just install it and lie to the pilot."

I'm not expecting Microsoft to do Alcatel's job and resolve the problem. But I do expect Microsoft to level with me and not serve up a file that they know won't work. I wouldn't have bought this phone if I had known that WDRT didn't work on it. It was Microsoft who lied to me about that. If Alcatel provided a non-working .ffu, then just be honest and say so instead of offering a false safety net. Trying to recover your bricked phone is a real ****ty time to learn the truth.
Alcatel support seems to have no clue about Windows phones. For one. The other issue is they are dragging their feet to fix this dilemma. They've known about this for more than a month I'd say. Maybe longer.

Last edited:

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
My wife runs an HTC 10. Same processor, same RAM. And it puts the Idol 4S to shame. It's so much faster than the Idol 4S that I was hugely disappointed when I unboxed the 4S. The HTC is snappy and switches between apps effortlessly every time. Browser...to excel.....to word...unzip an archive...mark up a pdf.....open camera...bam. Buttery smooth transitions. And then on my 4S, just scrolling through menus causes perceptible lag in many cases, and it gets worse when you try to do any real work on it. WP8 was crisp and responsive, but W10M just ain't. Which is part of the reason why I'm not super enthusiastic about W10 on ARM.

You basically just described how my Idol performs. You just got a lemon

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@aj173
You just flashed the T-Mobile fw correct?

Make sure you update to the latest build for production. Then do a hard reset. If nothing else works then as you have, make sure Alcatel gets aware of this...

I would not restore a backup either.

Last edited:

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Nate, you are indeed correct. The non-working open market .FFU is old news. However, since I never needed to worry about it before yesterday, it was new to me. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know, and that is especially true when it comes to predicting one-off freakish disasters.

I did flash the T-Mobile ROM just to get the phone to a usable state. You're on to something about not restoring a backup; the battery life on the phone is atrocious now, obviously as a result of the T-Mo firmware not liking something it sees. I could probably start fresh and live with the phone if I could only get the MMS working. At least I got it cheap on the Amazon sale, so it's not a life-altering loss.

I might just stick it in the closet for a few months. Rumor has it that the open market version is hitting Germany soon, so maybe there's hope that we can get a working .FFU. T-Mo literally only supported this phone for a few weeks, so Alcatel should just release a single open market ROM for everybody and liberate the small handful of T-Mo users from the stupidity of carrier branding. T-Mobile obviously doesn't care about the phones, and the ones on contract would still be carrier locked regardless, so I don't see what the big deal is.

In the meantime......back to the 1520. Three new phones over two years, and I always end up back here. I might as well just buy a few more of them on eBay and run them until I die. The universe obviously prefers it that way.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@aj173
Here is a link to an XDA post where I list some basic instructions and file to import to correct the mms issue if using AT&T. I have a feeling a few people more might need this. So I went ahead and wrote up something for now.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Appreciate it, brother. I'm actually on Cricket, but if you got AT&T working, then I would assume that Cricket would work as well.

Also, I think it should be illegal for carriers to use software to cripple a phone. If I paid for the phone, it's MY phone, and it's ridiculous that a third party is allowed to degrade the capabilities of it without my consent (or even knowledge). I know that nobody cares, but that's my two cents, and I'm going to rant about it until I die.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sure thing. It should work. The only difference might be the AT&T short code for sms to smtp. If you want to try it out and let me know.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I can't get Interop Tools working. I installed all the dependencies, but still can't browse or edit the registry. Any idea what I might be missing here? Do I need to be running a specific W10M build?

abhinavsaprey

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I can't get Interop Tools working. I installed all the dependencies, but still can't browse or edit the registry. Any idea what I might be missing here? Do I need to be running a specific W10M build?

Go to the interop unlock menu in Interop Tools and turn on the NDTKservice button. Restart your phone. And it should let you edit the registry.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Tried it, but the button doesn't stay on, and restarting doesn't help. I guess I'm missing something in the dependencies. I'll have to sit down and go back over it tonight.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Alctatel actually got a hold of me via twitter DM after I publically posted to microsoft, dona sakar and alcatel about the ****up with the bad release on Thursday and the fact that none can use wdrt for the open market because the ffu is ****ed also. Waiting on their reply now.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@aj173
What do you mean when you say you cannot browse the registry? The app crashes? Maybe you installed it from the store? The store app is still under development and takes a different route to enable the same features. If that is the one you installed uninstall it.

To make it quick and simple find the latest dependency packages and appx zip files from that thread and use those. If you need more assistance let me know.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, that would probably be my issue. I didn't read through the entire (lengthy) threads about it, so I figured the store app was the best way to ensure that I was getting the most current version.

As an aside, I'm kind of surprised that MS approved such an app at all, given their propensity to restrict developer access to many aspects of the OS.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that would probably be my issue. I didn't read through the entire (lengthy) threads about it, so I figured the store app was the best way to ensure that I was getting the most current version.

As an aside, I'm kind of surprised that MS approved such an app at all, given their propensity to restrict developer access to many aspects of the OS.

The developer notes this as well, thanking Microsoft for making it possible to be able to even access the registry, let alone edit it. I am sure they have their reasons.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I guess when you are unable/unwilling to devote much resources to squaring away problems, you might as well peel off the child safety cap and let the community try to address issues on their own. I just wish MS was this open and dev-friendly five years ago when Android was still getting its legs underneath it. Things might have played out differently for us.

fishsniffer2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Great, I have the same problem with my two 4's, one is T-mobile and the other unlocked open market version, finally managed to flash from a windows 10 machine, would not flash from my window 7 machine even though my Nokia's are flashing fine. Anyway downloaded both versions of ffu on my windows 10 machine but when flashing the T-Mobile ffu got flashed onto both 4 s'? Totally confused now as some app's crashes constantly on the open market version but not on the T-Mobile branded one. I wan't to get my open market version back on it as it supports more LTE bands and does not crash apps. Please update and keep pressuring for fix.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Did the FFU (Full Flash Update) file issue ever get situated? Did Microsoft/Alcatel iron this one out finally?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs