CShell and the Idol 4s

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
After watching the video and reading the article on the main page where they were demo-ing CShell on an HP elite x3 (Snapdragon 820 processor) I was wondering if when released we would be able to upgrade our phones to the new OS. I know CShell is slated for a snapdragon 835 processor, but if they have it running that well on an 820, I would think it should be possible to put it on the Idol 4s. The video looked really cool, and it would be nice to be able to upgrade without getting new hardware (for the short term at least).

any thoughts?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While I would love to say yes and that it's technologically feasible and likely to happen, I would bet against it.

Past demos on older hardware do not mean much of anything going forward as the early Continuum demo on the 1520 demonstrates.

Also, given Microsoft's abandonment of most of the remaining Windows 10 Mobile phones with the Creator's Update (and past behavior) does not make me confident that doing what is "possible" is a priority.

(The Snapdragon 800 in the 930 is certainly more powerful than the 400 in the 640 but nope! 830 with identical specs and chipset as the 640? Nope!)

Now if they came out and explicitly announced that existing hardware like the 4s would be getting this new functionality, I would still wait until it's out on production phones before believing it.

(MS still sold BLU Win Jr phones in stores/online, labeled as getting the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade both before AND for some time AFTER announcing that it will not.)

In short, I would not buy a Windows Phone, or any phone in fact, based on the prospect of future features.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
In short, I would not buy a Windows Phone, or any phone in fact, based on the prospect of future features.

This. I know many people would argue with me, but you really have no right to expect anything other than what exists in the product at the time that you bought it (unless the manufacturer specifically states that there will be additions and upgrades later) other than bug fixes and needed firmware updates.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
This. I know many people would argue with me, but you really have no right to expect anything other than what exists in the product at the time that you bought it (unless the manufacturer specifically states that there will be additions and upgrades later) other than bug fixes and needed firmware updates.

Agree 100%. If it happens its icing on the cake, but be sure you like the device AS IS when you buy it.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
All W10 Phones (phones that did not start as 8, 8.1) should support the next version.

...but the next version that includes the C-shell might not be the same sku as W10M. At this point the X3 was demoing test software, and could be only released on W10M if it is, for aiding in its (C-Shell) refinement.

PFSP

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
...but the next version that includes the C-shell might not be the same sku as W10M. At this point the X3 was demoing test software, and could be only released on W10M if it is, for aiding in its (C-Shell) refinement.

I hope there is some support for some level of older hardware in C-shell (read Idol 4s, HP elite X3). Certainly Microsoft can choose to support that hardware in the next version or not, but continuing to thumb your nose at your customer base is not a good business practice in my opinion. Some of us (read at least me) spent 470 on an Idol this year. I am not on replacing that phone for another two years (barring losing or breaking it). And while I have no guarantee that it is upgradable to C-Shell (and I can accept that), Microsoft has no guarantee that I won't move on to Android or Apple with my next phone.

The bottom line is, while it is their prerogative to allow upgrades, a little loyalty to your loyal customer base goes a long way.

anon(9809330)

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I hope there is some support for some level of older hardware in C-shell (read Idol 4s, HP elite X3). Certainly Microsoft can choose to support that hardware in the next version or not, but continuing to thumb your nose at your customer base is not a good business practice in my opinion. Some of us (read at least me) spent 470 on an Idol this year. I am not on replacing that phone for another two years (barring losing or breaking it). And while I have no guarantee that it is upgradable to C-Shell (and I can accept that), Microsoft has no guarantee that I won't move on to Android or Apple with my next phone.

The bottom line is, while it is their prerogative to allow upgrades, a little loyalty to your loyal customer base goes a long way.

Me too!

Balooney

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Originally posted by Nate W
Originally Posted by Balooney
All W10 Phones (phones that did not start as 8, 8.1) should support the next version.

Cshell will be the next mobile update.
It won't make non-continuum Phones support continuum.
You'll get an updated UI.
We have feature2 and were told that it will roll into the main branch when ready.
Now we have an idea what ready looks like.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Cshell will be the next mobile update.
It won't make non-continuum Phones support continuum.
You'll get an updated UI.
We have feature2 and were told that it will roll into the main branch when ready.
Now we have an idea what ready looks like.
I hope you're right for W10M sake and the remaining continuum supporting phones.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe this will come to any phones running a SD820. I also think the feature2 branch is likely our swan-song like WP 7.8 was... They're working on the new 'mobile' UI for sure...but its for the SD835 and up. That's the future...we're running on legacy hardware now.

I've love to be wrong, but I've been fooled 3x now. I don't believe anything MS says anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2