Deals on Idol 4s... from $109

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Big time spatial disorientation. I've flown on instruments under the hood for flight training and it didn't faze me one bit. I guess virtual depth perception takes some getting used to.
Yeah,I get what you're saying,it didn't really make me sick but I got dizzy,10-20 years from now it should be on point,maybe sooner,but as of now it's not my thing

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think my Idol 4s speakers blew again on a cold reboot. This has happened to me twice now. Both times I was on an insider preview build. I just put this one on the newest indider build this afternoon, and I rebooted it when I lost LTE and the speakers roared during the Alcatel Idol 4s with Windows 10 splash screen. Eh, you get what you pay up for...

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm definitely not going to get another Alcatel. My speakers blew like almost everyone who's had it for a while. Sent my unlocked version in for repairs and now received a TMO SIM locked version. They had to do an ESN change for some reason (for a speaker repair??) and now I can't use my phone. If I pay to get it unlocked and need to send it in again after the speakers go later (which it will since it still hasn't been fixed), I'll be needing to unlock once again?! Terrible software/firmware support and non existent service. Good luck to the people in the EU with the phone being released there.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
They are better off getting an HP on Ebay for the same price...Is the Elite X3 on sale in the UK/EU for 400 too or around there on Microsoft's site?

mrsatellite

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Great News. I was looking to get this phone since my 1020 is dying out. Wondering if i get this unlocked phone will it not work on Rogers here in canada.
$110 is a great deal but if it barely works then what a waste.Can you manually add info into the phone settings so mms and other features work.

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I had it working on Fido without problems. Data and calls worked fine (didn't try out MMS though). The problem is getting the TMO version unlocked since no one so far has successfully done it aside from going to TMO.

mrsatellite

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I had it working on Fido without problems. Data and calls worked fine (didn't try out MMS though). The problem is getting the TMO version unlocked since no one so far has successfully done it aside from going to TMO.

Thanks . Just got off the phone with rogers and there saying it is possible to get everthing working.Going to buy it .
Will keep the forum posted. Just in case It doesnt ,can one buy a TMO sim online and then unlock ????

aleunge

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks . Just got off the phone with rogers and there saying it is possible to get everthing working.Going to buy it .
Will keep the forum posted. Just in case It doesnt ,can one buy a TMO sim online and then unlock ????

Keep in mind that Rogers wouldn't know if the phone would work or not, nor do they care I think... if it doesn't work and you go back to them, they'll just give you the "it's an unsupported device YMMV". People have reported difficulties in getting MMS working on the TMO version since they locked it down via firmware. Might want to check that out if MMS is important to you.

As for unlocking it, as far as I know, it'll cost at least $100 if you want to get the minimum prepaid plan from TMO for it to qualify for unlocking. Otherwise, they recommend a third party website for unlocking but that and any sites users have found can not unlock it yet. So just be ware getting it.

The biggest issue for me is that Alcatel has not fixed the firmware on the phone yet. You'll repeatedly blow your speaker out due to a bug in which sound is blasted through the ear piece speaker on some boot ups. If it's under warranty, you can get it fixed, sure. But when it's repaired, the phone will be relocked again. This is what happened to me and I'm not going to bother anymore. I'm staying clear of Alcatel from now on due to their terrible service.

9ja

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Nate W, I will like to know how you got HD Voice/Volte enabled, if you don't mind plz. I have the unlocked idol 4S. Along the thread of blown speakers, it may be better to leave updates in the insider release preview until Alcatel wakes from its slumber to provide the appropriate WDRT flash for restoring the unlocked versions. Maybe with the launch of the idol 4pro in Europe, that may be forthcoming

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Nate W, I will like to know how you got HD Voice/Volte enabled, if you don't mind plz. I have the unlocked idol 4S. Along the thread of blown speakers, it may be better to leave updates in the insider release preview until Alcatel wakes from its slumber to provide the appropriate WDRT flash for restoring the unlocked versions. Maybe with the launch of the idol 4pro in Europe, that may be forthcoming
I enabled it for AT&T. But you need a ATT Lumia 950 IMEI to register it with. Since that is the only Lumia currently with w10m and volte on at&t. I made a small guide on xda. Not sure how it all provisions but it's for at&t US only.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I enabled it for AT&T. But you need a ATT Lumia 950 IMEI to register it with. Since that is the only Lumia currently with w10m and volte on at&t. I made a small guide on xda. Not sure how it all provisions but it's for at&t US only.
Here is the link to how I did it. This works on the T-Mobile one too once sim-unlocked. I also got volte/hd voice to work on the 950xl but an extra file has to be added to the phone.

9ja

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Nate. Will certainly try it n c what happens. I have a tmob sim card tho. Maybe that'll help some. I do appreciate your response.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Nate. Will certainly try it n c what happens. I have a tmob sim card tho. Maybe that'll help some. I do appreciate your response.
I doubt it will work for a t-Mobile sim but give it a shot. Remember to back up the files you replace.

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Hello,I'm just curious as to wth y'all are doing to your phones when you talk about "flashing" or "de-brand" that ones kinda obvious but does it optimize em or something? Very interesting stuff but i have no clue what the "stuff" is,i might wanna do mine like that,i know it involves dev tools and all that but that's the jist of my knowledge of that

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
They really did. I remember buying a Verizon 8x when it was brand new for dirt cheap at $160. Only to find out I couldn't MMS from it because Verizon decided the firmware should remove the APN customization.

CDMA phones almost always omit APN settings because CDMA phones are designed from the ground up to only work on one carrier. CDMA is antiquated garbage technology that was implemented for no other reason than to **** US consumers back when telecom was rapidly expanding in the 90s.

GSM is *supposed* to be immune from that by allowing carrier unlocking and APN changes. This is the first GSM phone I've ever owned in my life that blocked basic messaging functionality when using it unlocked on another carrier. I've always unlocked when necessary, set my APNs, and used LTE/MMS with no problem whatsoever.

If you were actually a Verizon subscriber when your 8x failed to MMS properly, it was because they never provisioned it correctly. The US carriers' hardware sales divisions exist only to push Galaxy and iPhones, so they half-*** your activation otherwise. You weren't worth their time because they weren't getting their incentive from Apple or Samsung. I had the same phone on Sprint; they called it the 8xt. The young girl setting it up at the store was visibly annoyed and bitched the whole time that it was a pain in the *** to provision. She was probably just mad that she was missing out on her commission since she couldn't push me into a Galaxy or iPhone.

Needless to say, I paid the early termination fee a year later and never walked into a carrier store or signed a contract ever again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss