Alcatel Idol 4s sounds metalic when talking

Jerry Tovar

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I just got an Alcatel Idol 4s Windows 10 phone. It's very nice.

I do notice one problem with the phone. When on a call, the person I'm talking to sounds metallic.

This metallic sound is worst when I'm at home. The other person voice also cuts out to where I can't make out what they are saying.

I have ATT as my carrier and my house does have poor reception, typically 1 - 2 bars. But my previous Windows 10 phones (640xl, 1520) worked great and never gave me the metallic sound.

The person I'm talking to says they hear me fine. This has happened several times.

When I'm in a good zone (5 bars), the other person sounds fine, but they still have a hint of metallic, though it's not much and is acceptable.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Is there a setting or a work around I could use?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Were your 1520 and 640 xl at&t branded or factory unlocked? This might be one factor.
Carrier branding is more than just branding. They are certified to work on the carrier specific to the branding. Meaning you might get VoLTE and other perks that make plain old phone calls work really well. The Idol 4s is not a bad phone, but if you were using AT&T branded Windows phones prior to it you'd notice some differences in that area....

You could try a hard reset after it updates to the latest build and OS version, maybe that might help. You could also try playing with Cellular/Internet APN. Other than that, unless it's a hardware issue there is not much you can do out of the box if it's just related to it not being officially Carrier supported by AT&T...

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got an Alcatel Idol 4s Windows 10 phone. It's very nice.

I do notice one problem with the phone. When on a call, the person I'm talking to sounds metallic.

This metallic sound is worst when I'm at home. The other person voice also cuts out to where I can't make out what they are saying.

I have ATT as my carrier and my house does have poor reception, typically 1 - 2 bars. But my previous Windows 10 phones (640xl, 1520) worked great and never gave me the metallic sound.

The person I'm talking to says they hear me fine. This has happened several times.

When I'm in a good zone (5 bars), the other person sounds fine, but they still have a hint of metallic, though it's not much and is acceptable.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Is there a setting or a work around I could use?

Jerry,i have this phone: Alcatel Idol 4S T-Mobile branded on T-Mobile network. I have this same problem only at home, works awesome every where else. I suspect its related to Wifi calling mode which I have to shut off & ATT uverse wifi router interference + weak signal in my brick house. So maybe try a cell signal booster, or switch off your wifi router temporarily and see if that helps.

Jerry Tovar

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
My only issue with the metallic sound is also when I'm at home. The phone sounds great everywhere else. Plus, at home, we usually only get 1-2 bars (weak signal). However, one thing I have discovered is that the speaker phone does sound pretty good. Also, if I use ear plugs and mic, the sound is perfect. The issue is only with holding the phone to my ear.

And yes, this is an unlocked T-Mobile phone. I do have ATT as a carrier and my other phones were ATT phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3