09-14-2017 05:04 PM
99 1234
tools
    Wow. I had never heard of those. Not that Alcatel is a "huge" brand, but it certainly has some brand rep... It's a good thing that WinPho/Mo gets some more adoptees, but I'd be much more likely to get this Alcatel.. I think w/ any of these 3, you might as well not bet on getting any further mfg support for updates, etc. That Funker does sound pricey, though, for ~$348 US.

Thanks for informing me on those!
    We had a cheap Alcatel Evolve and it actually wasn't that bad considering how low end it was. The camera was actually quite decent too, so I would have no problem trying one of these if I didn't already have a Lumia 640.
    02-10-2016 09:02 AM
    I'm betting I can buy this from a T-Mobile store in this area right now.
    It will be interesting if this is indeed available in the actual stores and not just online. It will then beg the question, why would they not sell the Lumia 640 in their stores?
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    02-10-2016 09:39 AM
    I just ordered the Fierce XL. Total with taxes was $150. I did not get a case since the last two cases I got from Tmobile did not last for the 521 and The one from Amazon has been okay.

This will be a big upgrade for my personnel phone. Work gave me an Ipad and Iphone. Work basically lets me do whatever I want on my work devices other than questionable websites.

I might just go down to the 2GB lte plan it all depends since I do not have LTE on my current device (Lumina 521)

Tmobile wanted to give me $11 bucks for my current phone.....I will just keep it.
    RumoredNow, libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    02-10-2016 10:13 AM
    I just ordered the Fierce XL. Total with taxes was $150...

Tmobile wanted to give me $11 bucks for my current phone.....I will just keep it.
    Looking forward to hearing how the Fierce XL looks/feels/handles once you get it in.

There is a LOT you can do with a SIM-less 521 besides putting it in a drawer for a backup. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...t-five2oh.html
    02-10-2016 10:53 AM
    I may actually buy one Friday. I Want to see more info on it.
    02-10-2016 05:41 PM
    I work for tmobile in Sanford, Florida, and we just got them in! I use a 950xl. But the fierce xl is pretty nice! Looking to pick one up, come see me at the Seminole Towne center mall!
    02-10-2016 05:50 PM
    I may actually buy one Friday. I Want to see more info on it.
    Hide the women and children!! Micah's getting a non-Lumia!! Oh the humanity!
    02-10-2016 06:40 PM
    02-10-2016 06:42 PM
    Spill the beans Jim!!
    02-10-2016 06:59 PM
    Spill the beans Jim!!
    Small update :(

The phone runs fine.
    Looks like I'll need to take this one back to T-Mobile for a new one.
    The left side of the screen has light bleed.
    I can press down on it and it somewhat goes away.

The demo phone at the store was perfect in fit and finish.
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-10-2016 07:45 PM
    Hide the women and children!! Micah's getting a non-Lumia!! Oh the humanity!
    I'd much prefer it be a Lumia tbh ☺ but between a shattered Lumia 640 xl display and my verizon Lumia icon that I am using with tmobile now that doesn't have all the bands, I figured I'd give this phone a shot. Maybe😏
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-10-2016 07:48 PM
    Alright. I'll give some quick thoughts. Picked one up at my local T-Mob store. Walked in and asked about it and the guy looked at me like I had three heads. As he's rambling about no new phones, ESPECIALLY Windows Phones.... I look over his shoulder and what to my wandering eye should appear but an Alcatel Fierce XL smack in the middle of a bunch of Android phones. "Hmmm...." I say and walk over to start poking at it. Stammers, and apologies later, I'm out the door with a big white box, and 150 ish bucks less in my bank account. Standard phone store packaging. Better than ATT's crap boxes, but not as good as a flagship phone like a Samsung or iPhone. No headset. Charger, data cable and spare SIM. It uses micro SIM, BTW.

The phone itself is quite handsome. But that said, I'm a huge fan of Nokia Cyan blue. This is a nearly perfect re-do of that. Back pops off, MicroSD on left, SIM slot on the right. Battery is bolted in. I popped my 64gb MicroSD card in. It recognizes it. Don't know for sure if it can address all of it, since I haven't filled it. But it does see it and gives the correct size. Screen is nice. Actually, really nice considering the price. It gets very bright. The phone feels solid. It's a good weight for it's size. I've been using a Nokia 640 for some time but have been put off by stalls and "Loading....." text. This has very little of that. Except. Games. This is NOT a gaming device. Don't. Do. It. Candy Crush. Stall. Royal Revolt 2. Stall. Otherwise it's a nice, solid mid-low end phone. No idea about battery life yet. I really do like the screen. Haven't used the camera yet. Did I mention I liked the screen?

Questions?
    02-10-2016 07:49 PM
    Oh, installed apps are not able to be removed. IE: T-MobileTV.
    02-10-2016 07:57 PM
    It has a charge light and the on button is above the volume rocker.

Pics taken outside are acceptable.
    02-10-2016 08:00 PM
    As he's rambling about no new phones, ESPECIALLY Windows Phones.... I look over his shoulder and what to my wandering eye should appear but an Alcatel Fierce XL smack in the middle of a bunch of Android phones.
    That's the sad truth about help staff @ technology places.. It's hit or miss. Some people really know what they're talking about.. Sometimes, not so much...

I've been using a Nokia 640 for some time but have been put off by stalls and "Loading....." text. This has very little of that. Except. Games. This is NOT a gaming device. Don't. Do. It. Candy Crush. Stall. Royal Revolt 2. Stall. Otherwise it's a nice, solid mid-low end phone.
    So, would you say that this is a marked upgrade over the 640, performance wise? I have a 635, which is largely similar to the 640, minus the front camera, and nicer rear camera and flash. I would hope to think that the doubling of RAM would help.

Thanks!
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-10-2016 08:03 PM

What's acceptable? 640 acceptable or 1520.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-10-2016 08:10 PM
    What's acceptable? 640 acceptable or 1520.
    Mmmm...
    Kind of like "boot camp" acceptable.
    You'll take what we give you and you'll like it :)

I'd say close the 640 from what I see.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-10-2016 08:20 PM
    Mmmm...
    Kind of like "boot camp" acceptable.
    You'll take what we give you and you'll like it :)

I'd say close the 640 from what I see.
    Post some photos for us to see please :) in that other pic thread!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-10-2016 08:23 PM
    post some photos for us to see please :) in that other pic thread!
    k
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-10-2016 08:24 PM
    So, would you say that this is a marked upgrade over the 640, performance wise? I have a 635, which is largely similar to the 640, minus the front camera, and nicer rear camera and flash. I would hope to think that the doubling of RAM would help.

Thanks!
    Marked upgrade, yes. Except for games. I can't resolve that in my mind, but yeah. Games seem to be an Achilles heel. Otherwise it's pretty snappy.
    02-10-2016 09:00 PM

I DO dig the charge light, just wish it was a notification light too. And coming from numerous Nokia phones, the power button above the volume buttons is going to take some adjustment.
    02-10-2016 09:07 PM
    I DO dig the charge light, just wish it was a notification light too. And coming from numerous Nokia phones, the power button above the volume buttons is going to take some adjustment.
    The power button seemed weird for a while.
    Now when I clutch the phone the index finger lands right on it.

The 5.5 inch screen is a big plus for me on this phone enjoying the form factor here.
    Be so nice if other makers join on with phones similar to this one for those of us that really don't need all that jazz.
    Laura Knotek and Chef316 like this.
    02-10-2016 09:17 PM
    I have a 640, i don't need this phone. I just want it. I am a budget phone collector. I just don't know if the 650 will be a better buy. I hate losing my games and the fact that this thing stalls ... more than the 640?
    02-10-2016 09:53 PM
    So I did find a non-corporate store that had them and I grabbed one. I do have a 950XL as my primary and unfortunately it's quite hard to compare.

It's a lighter phone, the screen is large and clear. The vibration isn't as strong as the 950, but the entire I reason I got it was to play with it. TMobile has it locked down. I couldn't update it via Windows Insider so it is stuck on .63. I also attempted to bypass it via WDRT, but MS hasn't updated it yet and it asks what kind of phone you have (lumia/HTC/LG) are your only options. I really do like the fixed buttons at the bottom though, it eliminates the interference the integrated ones cause. The blue back is a nice touch as well, it's more eye candy than anything but it works well, matches my MS mouse :P

The one thing I don't care for is the micro-usb port, I am so used to USB-C now and I already bent it lol but it still works.
    02-10-2016 10:33 PM
    Anybody who knows me around here knows it wasn't going to take long for me to get this phone. My initial impressions are that it's a well built device with a nice display. I don't know if it's a bug but the start screen sometimes stays stuck on stupid with the dreaded resuming. Other times it won't load the start at all from sleep and will reboot. Picture quality has been stellar or abysmal, no middle ground yet. I got Windows Insider but the Configuration Update is all I got. No .107 yet 😠. The 2 gigs of RAM are quite evident when updating or installing new apps. Those 1GB devices like the 640 make updating an exercise in patience worthy of Sister Teresa.

All this experiment has been done without a SIM card so maybe the performance improves with a constant connection. I've seen it happen before. That's all for now.
    02-11-2016 05:47 PM
99 1234