So who is getting an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL?

StanP50

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I picked up an XL from the TM store a couple days ago, and I like it. Like, quick and excellent screen. I can also report that at least in my case, the phone will take a 128GB micro flash card. I had one in my 635 and moved it to the XL, found it, mounted it, all of the music and data I had on it is there and available...no problems at all. The only decision I have now id weather or not to root it and update it to .107. May wait a bit and see how this goes before attempting it.

mplsdoug

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
I bought this last week and coming from a Lumia 635 the difference is night and day. The 2GB RAM helps significantly. Web pages load with very few problems. App switching is fast and the Start screen loads quickly every time. And the screen is much nicer than I'd expected as long as you set brightness manually. I also found that the text is sharper after going to Settings/Disply and adjusting the Size slider to 175%. That gets you an extra column of tiles on the Start screen and also gives you twice as many app previews in the app switcher.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I picked up an XL from the TM store a couple days ago, and I like it. Like, quick and excellent screen. I can also report that at least in my case, the phone will take a 128GB micro flash card. I had one in my 635 and moved it to the XL, found it, mounted it, all of the music and data I had on it is there and available...no problems at all. The only decision I have now id weather or not to root it and update it to .107. May wait a bit and see how this goes before attempting it.

Thanks because I have a 128gb in my 640 I was worried about the Alcatel

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The "up to" size that these OEMs list in their spec seems to just be an indicator of what class of reader it is, IMHO. SD/SDHC/SDXC/SD UHS-I/etc.

So for the Fierce at "up to 32 GB" that would mean it is in the SDHC class and may even be an SDHC UHS-I or II reader. Only testing an appropriate card would let us know for sure...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Capture01.pngCapture02.png

This seems to be a good App to test your read/write speeds on phone: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...d-card-r-w-test%2F9wzdncrfjqv2&token=dJLIVrhq

Last edited:

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
"I also found that the text is sharper after going to Settings/Disply and adjusting the Size slider to 175%. That gets you an extra column of tiles on the Start screen and also gives you twice as many app previews in the app switcher."

mplsdoug: Thanks very much for suggesting this- it really improves the phone!

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I picked up a new Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL for my daughter this evening. I have to say, coming from a Lumia Icon, it's not a bad phone at all. It's a great "smartphone starter", even though her whole school uses iPhone. She was extremely stoked about the size of her new phone.

I have yet got her fully setup with the phone. I do want to get Skype ready for her and to use. I told her what iPhone has to offer and that her phone has the same thing. We can video chat, chat through skype, share files on OneDrive and a ton more. Her school gives her Office 365 but I haven't been able to link that up with her Outlook account yet.

Otherwise, it is a nice phone for the price and a great phone for my daughter to start with.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks because I have a 128gb in my 640 I was worried about the Alcatel

Sent from mTalk

I just picked one up. Haven't been able to get any Insider updates yet, except for a configuration.
We got WDRT support with it's last update, so I'd expect builds to be available soon.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I bought this last week and coming from a Lumia 635 the difference is night and day. The 2GB RAM helps significantly. Web pages load with very few problems. App switching is fast and the Start screen loads quickly every time.

I was by the T-mo store today, and blessedly, they had a OneTouch XL as a working display model. I hate to rain on the parade, but I have to say, based on my 15 minutes of in-store testing, I was underwhelmed by its performance. It's definitely on par w/ my L635, and might be somewhat more responsive, but I beg to differ on it being night and day. Doug, did you have a 512MB RAM 635? I have the 1GB version.

Also, am I the only one who feels that the scrolling on Windows 10 could still use some work? For the most part, the scrolling tracks well w/ my finger, but with frustrating regularity, it scrolls at hyper-speed, even though I scrolled w/ my finger at the same rate. I had the same problem w/ Insiders' Preview on my L635.

I'm going to hang onto my 635 for now, and will take a wait-and-see approach.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed was this device takes an unusually long time for the OS to "settle". Once it does, the resuming chills out and the scrolling is a lot less jittery. The camera still blows though, and that's a deal breaker. The HDR is a joke because although it helps with sharpening up the detail, it overexposes quite a bit and some subjects look cartoonish.
Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
One thing I noticed was this device takes an unusually long time for the OS to "settle". Once it does, the resuming chills out and the scrolling is a lot less jittery. The camera still blows though, and that's a deal breaker. The HDR is a joke because although it helps with sharpening up the detail, it overexposes quite a bit and some subjects look cartoonish.
"fatclue_98 is a genius!"

I agree the camera is doodoo :(

The phone itself is hanging in there on .63
Crashing is less now and updated apps are doing well on 10.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree the camera is doodoo :(.
The photos in the picture section didn't look too bad to me for a low end phone. What is the main problem with the capture?

Of course I realize users tend to post the best ones, not what the phone generally produces day to day, so would be interested in how it compares to the 640.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
What is the main problem with the capture?

The camera in auto for the most part produces very grainy pics at full resolutions.
HDR mode overdrives deep colors.

Lowering the ISO (100-200) and shooting in well lit conditions improves things somewhat.
I've been hoping an update for the phone might fix things.
This camera just doesn't take sharp wide shot pictures.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Since it's exclusive to T-Mobile, no. I left Verizon to give the 950xl a try. Sold it and went back to my M8 on Verizon. Just fits my needs.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The camera in auto for the most part produces very grainy pics at full resolutions.
HDR mode overdrives deep colors.

Lowering the ISO (100-200) and shooting in well lit conditions improves things somewhat.
I've been hoping an update for the phone might fix things.
This camera just doesn't take sharp wide shot pictures.

On BLU with the stock camera it helps to force -2ev... Maybe try auto ISO and all... Then force a -1 or -2 ev in settings?

Sounds like overexpose is the root cause.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion