09-14-2017 05:04 PM
99 ... 234
tools
    One thing I noticed was this device takes an unusually long time for the OS to "settle". Once it does, the resuming chills out and the scrolling is a lot less jittery. The camera still blows though, and that's a deal breaker. The HDR is a joke because although it helps with sharpening up the detail, it overexposes quite a bit and some subjects look cartoonish.
    "fatclue_98 is a genius!"
    I agree the camera is doodoo :(

The phone itself is hanging in there on .63
    Crashing is less now and updated apps are doing well on 10.
    fatclue_98 and RumoredNow like this.
    02-17-2016 05:17 PM
    I agree the camera is doodoo :(.
    The photos in the picture section didn't look too bad to me for a low end phone. What is the main problem with the capture?

Of course I realize users tend to post the best ones, not what the phone generally produces day to day, so would be interested in how it compares to the 640.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-18-2016 10:00 AM
    What is the main problem with the capture?
    The camera in auto for the most part produces very grainy pics at full resolutions.
    HDR mode overdrives deep colors.

Lowering the ISO (100-200) and shooting in well lit conditions improves things somewhat.
    I've been hoping an update for the phone might fix things.
    This camera just doesn't take sharp wide shot pictures.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-18-2016 03:46 PM
    Since it's exclusive to T-Mobile, no. I left Verizon to give the 950xl a try. Sold it and went back to my M8 on Verizon. Just fits my needs.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-18-2016 03:50 PM
    The camera in auto for the most part produces very grainy pics at full resolutions.
    HDR mode overdrives deep colors.

Lowering the ISO (100-200) and shooting in well lit conditions improves things somewhat.
    I've been hoping an update for the phone might fix things.
    This camera just doesn't take sharp wide shot pictures.
    On BLU with the stock camera it helps to force -2ev... Maybe try auto ISO and all... Then force a -1 or -2 ev in settings?

Sounds like overexpose is the root cause.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-18-2016 06:35 PM
    Sounds like overexpose is the root cause.
    Hmmm...
    Good tip...we'll give it a go.
    (thumbs up type emoji goes here____ )
    RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    02-18-2016 06:43 PM
    I bought one. Actually, compared to Blu, the difference really isn't too noticeable in speed and camera quality. Yeah a little jittery here and there, but it has Windows 10. I can now focus on some other items. The multitouch issue was really bugging the crap out of me with the Blu. I'd type and it would be like:
    Hey when I do an APA citatn do I pu nme & nme or name and nme.
    Blu never got back to me either =(. It got really annoying. So I figured what the heck. $150 is cheaper than what I paid for the Blu phone.
    02-20-2016 08:03 PM
    I finally got to play with an Alcatel in a corporate T-Mobile Store. I look a couple of test photos inside the store along with my Lumia 640 and I have to say the Alcatel didn't look that bad. I certainly preferred the Lumia 640 photos but it was hard to tell the difference in casual viewing. Now of course I am just judging them by how the average user would, not 'using a loupe' and taking a closer look or anything.

The one thing I don't like though is how in the EXIF data the device is listed as 'QCOM-AA' which I assume is a generic device name to do with the Qualcomm chip. I really wish they'd assign it the proper phone model name as you get with the Lumia 640. I thought you only got this with low end no name cheap digital cameras. Years later if I retrieve a digital photo it would be nice to be able to know what device I actually took it with!
    libra89, RumoredNow and Guytronic like this.
    02-20-2016 08:57 PM
    Sadly...
    In the wide view the Alcatel camera is very disappointing.

I'm convinced post processing along with slow auto focus in the default camera app contribute to the abysmal photo output.
    At the current firmware level the camera just can't perform at longer distance.
    Close ups are acceptable which may be the intended focus for the device.
    Shots of the Grand Canyon just ain't gonna cut it :(

Hopefully these downers can be fixed with updated software.

Here's a couple of close ups using Proshot:
    2016_02_19_21_54_19_proshot.jpg2016_02_19_21_55_48_proshot.jpg
    02-20-2016 11:29 PM
    So what you're saying, is that unless I have an SDHC class Micro SD card, it won't work with the OTF XL?

I currently use a Nokia 635 Win 8.1 phone, using a 64Gb GSkill Micro SDXC card. From your diagram, it appears the reader won't even see it. Some people have reported using high capacity cards, above what the SDHC standard can support, so I am a tad confused as to what the phone will accept.

I'll try my current Micro SDXC card and see what happens. In the mean time I've got a 32Gb Micro SDHC card on order with NewEgg, just to be on the safe side, if my current SDXC card has issues. Besides I've never used more than a third of my current card, so the drop from 64 to 32 Gb capacity, isn't a big deal.
    03-01-2016 11:11 AM
    So what you're saying, is that unless I have an SDHC class Micro SD card, it won't work with the OTF XL?
    I guess that's for me?

So, my estimate is that the number must refer to the reader type. It's been seen in many devices over the years that a larger card will be read from and written to than what the OEM states.

I would assert that the only difference would be speed. You wouldn't get the full speed the card is capable of and are limited to the speed the reader can provide.

However, I don't have any direct experience to show if reading and writing to the "extra" space on a higher class card will result in corrupted data and system issues. I generally don't go that large on my SD card sizes and that has lead me, through coincidence really, to have never gone out of class.
    Guytronic, TechFreak1 and papasurf like this.
    03-01-2016 12:54 PM
    Thanks. I was just worried that the reader would not be able to read SDXC cards at all.

I have had bad experiences in the past, notably my aging digital camera. It has a simple Micro SD reader, so the max I could get is 2Gb. I then got a 16Gb SDHC card and the camera did not even recognize that card when inserted. Remove the SDHC card, put the SD card back in and all is good again.

Was not to worried about speed of being able to use the full 64Gb, just that if the phone could use the card, period.

This link has some useful details:

kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd%2Fsdhc%2Fsdxc-specifications-and-compatibility

Looks like the card compatiablity is based on the host device, not media. So if the phone only has a SDHC reader then we, according to the webpage linked above, only use SD and SDHC cards.
    03-01-2016 03:10 PM
    Now that I've finally got my phone in the mail, took a chance and put in my existing 64 Gb SDXC card, from my old Nokia phone. So far the phone appeared to detect it and I can browse files on the SD card without issue.

I still have that SDHC card on order, so if the phone starts acting wonky, I'll use that card as it's within the document specs and see if it helps.

What is really annoying is there are NO SC card logos on either the phone or documentation, since the logo tells you the type of host device which in turn indicates what cards you can use.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-02-2016 09:02 AM
    Installed AIDA64 on the Fierce XL and found something interesting.

wp_ss_20160302_0002.png
    Look at the frame rate of the video camera.
    It's reporting 120 fps
    (AIDA64 shows a max of 30fps @1020x1920 for the 1020)

wp_ss_20160302_0003.png
    Scene modes are available but not a selectable option from the camera app.
    (I can't find them anyway)

Looks like the camera might be very capable so perhaps the OS may just be the downfall of the camera.
    I know the video resolution is low for this thing.
    The available frame rate for the rear video cam just surprised me.
    RumoredNow and fatclue_98 like this.
    03-02-2016 05:12 PM
    Got my wife one. She had a 640 that was nothing but problems...So far all good and no issues other than sms sync must be down because old messages not coming back. But so far all good.
    Guytronic and papasurf like this.
    04-08-2016 02:21 PM
    Coffee is good. Just for fun I walked into a MetroPCS store with my "Fierce XL with Windows 10" and the rep was dumbfounded. He didn't know it existed. But he wants to sell them.

Windows Central App
    Alcatel Fierce XL (Redstone)
    papasurf, RumoredNow and Chef316 like this.
    04-14-2016 08:41 AM
    Really like this phone! Amazing for a budget device! May upgrade to the Alcatel Flagship once it's released if T-Mobile gets it!

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10
    Using the Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL for Windows 10
    Guytronic and RumoredNow like this.
    04-17-2016 01:41 AM
    I shoot 100% of the time in HDR mode if I'm outdoors with good lightning. I go manual when indoors most of the time or when outdoors at night.

Posted from Windows Central for Windows 10
    Using the Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL for Windows 10
    04-17-2016 01:48 AM
    You guys still happy with your XLs?
    Chef316 likes this.
    04-18-2016 12:58 AM
    YES? you?
    04-18-2016 01:31 AM
    I picked one up on Friday to replace the 640 that faceplanted and shattered the screen earlier that day. No ATT gophone 640 to be found. Oh, and I picked the Android version, because $99 in a Walmart StraightTalk box. Holy crap, there's APPS! And even the few apps that exist, by name anyway, for Windows Phone are 5,400% more functional. Anyway, ordered a pair Samsung Galaxies for me and the wife, and we're out. No more "soon!" when everything already exists, just not for Windows Phone users. I had the HP Jornada 540, a bunch of XDAs, the T-Mobile Wing (also a HTC) and now I'm just out because after over a decade of "soon! for sure the next time we reboot the entire ecosystem!" I just can't anymore.
    04-18-2016 05:16 PM
    I just picked one up on EBay for $79.00. Brand new and sealed in the box. I have a T-Mobile Branded 640 which is great, but I'm not savvy enough to to the insider thing and I didn't want to wait for T-Mo to officially release the update for the 640. So for $80 brand new, I figured what the hell. I've only had the Fierce a couple of days so it's too early to really form an opinion. But for $80 it's a pretty cheap way to check out Windows 10 Mobile
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-07-2016 02:24 PM
    I didn't want to wait for T-Mo to officially release the update for the 640.
    Considering T-Mo's track record with dropping Windows Phone support, the fact that "their" 640 had such a short term of availability and they didn't get offered any of the new made for W10M Lumias... Smart call.
    oakdaleman likes this.
    05-07-2016 08:53 PM
    Bought TMO Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL in June 2016. Generally happy with the thing, like the straightforward sync with Windows 10 PC. Lately it has been doing reboots, mostly while browsing news stories within the MS aggregator apps -- MS News, MS Sports, etc -- but it occurs with other apps. Win10 mobile OS is current. I have consciously limited the number of open apps, so I don't think I'm overflowing the RAM. Anyone know of a way to view events -- like Windows Event Viewer -- so I can see what is going on? Issue is annoying but not critical -- yet. I have had one phone call interrupted by this.
    09-14-2017 05:04 PM
99 ... 234