So who is getting an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Seems like a pretty decent device for the price. Kind of like a big brother to the Lumia 550 but on T-Mobile for about the same price or a bit less.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting on it I might buy it to check it out interested in how it performs and the battery life. Would this phone be able to join the insider program?

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would this phone be able to join the insider program?

Currently, Insider has a device check at the doorway. If there is no recovery image in WDRT for a device, Insider will not let it pass. Last time I checked only the HTC One (M8) for Windows Phone [seriously, could they shorten that up just a few hundred syllables?] is the only non-Lumia inside that club house.

Only time will tell... My guess. Not happening.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can never have enough coffee so don't blame it. Confusing an Android for a Windows phone is a sign of a more serious problem. Perhaps you need less sugar in your coffee.

Wait, are you telling me they are not the same?!

let... let me take off my rose tinted glasses...

....no, that's not better at all! :evil:

Kidding aside, I admit I have been some what haphazard as of late but much better now lol.

Nothing a little detox from the internet doesn't fix :winktongue:, now where's my tin foil suit and top hat.....

Or maybe I will just get a alcatel onetouch fierce xl WM10 version when it releases to atone for my mistake lol (as it would be less awkward than walking around in a tin foil suit :grin:).

Mikeandhis8x

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It's pretty cheap and better than the 550 in every way even looks (arguably). It's either this or a 640xl, depending on how performance is like on it when it releases. Also, gotta love that full T-Mobile support. Either way, my HTC 8x is getting real old real fast. It's very rude in that it tells me "goodbye" mid-use randomly and shuts down ;) It's a shame, though. I've dropped the thing so many times on it's face and it only has minor scratches. It's honestly one of the most expertly designed devices of it's time.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
That's the Android version. I don't think the Windows version is available yet.

That tripped me up to... I saw a release date of 11/1/15 on a page (IIRC). Then I saw a very recent article here on WinCentral that it's rumored to come out soon.. :shocked:

OK... So, I've been surprised that no one has mentioned this yet...

Am I the only one who has noticed that this Fierce XL has DOUBLE the RAM and DOUBLE the internal storage of most every current/upcoming non-950 "flagship" phone?

I have a Lumia 635 on Boost Mobile (still running 8.1), and I'm... OK w/ its performance, except for when web browsing. It's a bit of a dog. I was thinking that more RAM might help.

Every phone I've seen has got the same (arguably) mediocre specs... 1GB RAM and 8GB internal storage, for anywhere between $40-200. Granted, I've only been looking at Lumias, as it's nice to have that official MS support. To me, this thing looks like a steal!! It has definitely piqued my interest, but T-mo reception kinda sucks where I work, so it's a non-starter...

Side question: Were there any models aside from this and the HTC One M8 that had identical hardware, but had an Android and WinPho/Mo variant offered?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who has noticed that this Fierce XL has DOUBLE the RAM and DOUBLE the internal storage of most every current/upcoming non-950 "flagship" phone?

There is a wave of devices coming from Non-Lumia brands that seem to pushing 16GB storage and 2GB RAM as the new standard. And very welcome, IMHO.

Fierce XL for one.

Coship Moly X1 and the Funker W5.5 Pro both seem to be the same device and may be a badged offering these companies picked up from a White Label ODM. They up the ante, with 13MP rear shooter, Snapdragon 410 and a Full HD display in 1080p.

Leave it to T-MoUS to find the new lowest common denominator. :winktongue:

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Coship Moly X1 and the Funker W5.5 Pro both seem to be the same device and may be a badged offering these companies picked up from a White Label ODM. They up the ante, with 13MP rear shooter, Snapdragon 410 and a Full HD display in 1080p.

Leave it to T-MoUS to find the new lowest common denominator. :winktongue:

Wow. I had never heard of those. :grin: Not that Alcatel is a "huge" brand, but it certainly has some brand rep... It's a good thing that WinPho/Mo gets some more adoptees, but I'd be much more likely to get this Alcatel.. I think w/ any of these 3, you might as well not bet on getting any further mfg support for updates, etc. That Funker does sound pricey, though, for ~$348 US.

Thanks for informing me on those!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think w/ any of these 3, you might as well not bet on getting any further mfg support for updates, etc.

That's the beauty of Win 10 Mobile. Microsoft is pushing the updates for the OS. Only firmware matters and if the firmware is set, you are golden.

Very likely the Fierce will never get an update on firmware from T-MoUS. That's what they do, get phones in and let them languish. Not just Windows phone either. They do it with their branded Android handsets too. My wife's T-Mo Note 2 never went past 4.2 Jelly Bean and other branded versions have 4.4.2 KitKat. The Nexus 6 has a ROM for T-Mo so it gets their WiFi Calling and that has no Marshmallow 6.x yet.

Windows 10 Mobile looks to be a way around such shenanigans.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Very likely the Fierce will never get an update on firmware from T-MoUS. That's what they do, get phones in and let them languish. Not just Windows phone either. They do it with their branded Android handsets too. My wife's T-Mo Note 2 never went past 4.2 Jelly Bean and other branded versions have 4.4.2 KitKat. The Nexus 6 has a ROM for T-Mo so it gets their WiFi Calling and that has no Marshmallow 6.x yet.

I came from Android, and yes, that was one of my complaints. Ye ol' fragmentation and lack of updates - namely, security updates, a la Stagefright. Well that, and crappy battery life. Sigh.

Honestly, I think WinPho/Mo is a technologically superior product that's hampered by a lack of apps and ecosystem. And, well, in the case of Win10Mo, a bad case of the flu (lots of bugs, still :excited:). I can't wait until they get it quite a bit more baked.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
A technologically superior product that's hampered by a lack of apps and ecosystem. Sounds like webOS.

Although that is true, I sure hope Windows Mobile doesn't have a similar fate... :sweaty: MS has a lot more $ to throw around than Palm did, though... Fingers crossed. A two horse race is not something I look forward to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99