So who is getting an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL?

ou4me

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So, would you say that this is a marked upgrade over the 640, performance wise? I have a 635, which is largely similar to the 640, minus the front camera, and nicer rear camera and flash. I would hope to think that the doubling of RAM would help.

Thanks!

Marked upgrade, yes. Except for games. I can't resolve that in my mind, but yeah. Games seem to be an Achilles heel. Otherwise it's pretty snappy.

ou4me

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It has a charge light and the on button is above the volume rocker.

Pics taken outside are acceptable.

I DO dig the charge light, just wish it was a notification light too. And coming from numerous Nokia phones, the power button above the volume buttons is going to take some adjustment.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I DO dig the charge light, just wish it was a notification light too. And coming from numerous Nokia phones, the power button above the volume buttons is going to take some adjustment.

The power button seemed weird for a while.
Now when I clutch the phone the index finger lands right on it.

The 5.5 inch screen is a big plus for me on this phone enjoying the form factor here.
Be so nice if other makers join on with phones similar to this one for those of us that really don't need all that jazz.

jaceot

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a 640, i don't need this phone. I just want it. I am a budget phone collector. I just don't know if the 650 will be a better buy. I hate losing my games and the fact that this thing stalls ... more than the 640?

TheZeeMan

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
So I did find a non-corporate store that had them and I grabbed one. I do have a 950XL as my primary and unfortunately it's quite hard to compare.

It's a lighter phone, the screen is large and clear. The vibration isn't as strong as the 950, but the entire I reason I got it was to play with it. TMobile has it locked down. I couldn't update it via Windows Insider so it is stuck on .63. I also attempted to bypass it via WDRT, but MS hasn't updated it yet and it asks what kind of phone you have (lumia/HTC/LG) are your only options. I really do like the fixed buttons at the bottom though, it eliminates the interference the integrated ones cause. The blue back is a nice touch as well, it's more eye candy than anything but it works well, matches my MS mouse :p

The one thing I don't care for is the micro-usb port, I am so used to USB-C now and I already bent it lol but it still works.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody who knows me around here knows it wasn't going to take long for me to get this phone. My initial impressions are that it's a well built device with a nice display. I don't know if it's a bug but the start screen sometimes stays stuck on stupid with the dreaded resuming. Other times it won't load the start at all from sleep and will reboot. Picture quality has been stellar or abysmal, no middle ground yet. I got Windows Insider but the Configuration Update is all I got. No .107 yet 😠. The 2 gigs of RAM are quite evident when updating or installing new apps. Those 1GB devices like the 640 make updating an exercise in patience worthy of Sister Teresa.

All this experiment has been done without a SIM card so maybe the performance improves with a constant connection. I've seen it happen before. That's all for now.

Alex Zapata

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Anybody who knows me around here knows it wasn't going to take long for me to get this phone. My initial impressions are that it's a well built device with a nice display. I don't know if it's a bug but the start screen sometimes stays stuck on stupid with the dreaded resuming. Other times it won't load the start at all from sleep and will reboot. Picture quality has been stellar or abysmal, no middle ground yet. I got Windows Insider but the Configuration Update is all I got. No .107 yet 😠. The 2 gigs of RAM are quite evident when updating or installing new apps. Those 1GB devices like the 640 make updating an exercise in patience worthy of Sister Teresa.

All this experiment has been done without a SIM card so maybe the performance improves with a constant connection. I've seen it happen before. That's all for now.

Just picked one up today. I was super excited, got everything ready to start up as I've done many times before and when I got to the part where it asks me to sign in to a Microsoft account the sign-in button simply did not respond. Decided to log in later. The splash screen came up, the usual boot sequence, blah blah blah. Except the start screen never loaded, the action menu always retracted, and when I tried to access the settings it said I needed to go to the store to find an app. Several hard resets later and still no go. Doing a factory reset now, hoping for better luck.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

how is the rear camera on there? is it any good or at least comparable to the 640?

Sent from mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Later when I have a chance I'll put up a short tutorial about how to get 10586.107 on this phone.
19fd0dce59e214a1076203907682495d.jpg

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Picked up the Alcatel Fierce tonight from Tmo. After setting it up I am enjoying the very large screen and build quality of the phone. I have a L550 as a backup to my 950, but I wanted to try a non Lumia for once. Anyway, I will have to play around with the phone some before I can decide if I want to keep it or not.
So far it operates pretty smoothly. Camera is ok I guess for a cheap phone, but the phone itself feels well made.
Let's hope we see more OEM's come to the platform. I think I could become a serious fan of Alcatel if they stay with windows. Man after three years of using Lumia's, we need other players that are committed to the platform.
I really hope Alcatel goes the distance here. It would be so wonderful if we get the choices that android users have. Only time will tell.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They probably put the buttons in that area, since that's how most Android devices are designed, and they had an Android version available before the Windows version was released.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
They probably put the buttons in that area, since that's how most Android devices are designed, and they had an Android version available before the Windows version was released.

This makes a lot of sense.

I wonder if cases for the Android work for the Windows version?

ou4me

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'll be finding out shortly. I've got a case on the way from Amazon. It didn't say, specifically that it was for the Android version. However, I can't imagine there is a Win version out that quickly. It's just a clear TPU case. I'll report back.

As far as this phone goes, it's been a long, freezing and random reboot plagued couple of days. Many many instances of "Resuming...." at the homescreen. Long story really short, I've reset the phone and removed my SD card. This seems to have resolved the issues for now. The phone seems much more stable, and the games I reported not being usable are somewhat moreso now.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting on it I might buy it to check it out interested in how it performs and the battery life. Would this phone be able to join the insider program?

Sent from mTalk

We have one already running .107. The question right now is, has it been loaded onto the WDRT. I haven't got anything back from @NorthFaceHiker. Last conversation was, he was checking. But yes, apparently you can get the Insider Builds on it. I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs