AndroidCentral.com on Windows Phone

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?

While I am not completely satisfied, I am also not hating it. It would be nice to have a capable media player that doesn't choke on various formats, but that's a minor quibble for me.
WinMo gets the job done. I honestly don't understand the unbridled hate for the WinMo OS that I read on various tech sites. Not easy to use?? Really!? Hit the Start button and there is a list of installed programs. Click the Mail icon and there is your messaging section.
I have WinMo 6.1 and use the sliding panel homescreen. I customized it and all my main programs are assigned to various panels. It is not rocket science, maybe people are just afraid to actually use their brain or something.

Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?

It's very common. It's one of the main draws of WinMo in my opinion. Unfortunately, there are no cooked ROMS for my Moto Q9H, so I am chugging along on the stock ROM and using the sliding panels homescreen.

Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)

I am keeping an eye on Android's progress, but honestly, I love the sliding panel interface and think it's the best layout for a smartphone's homescreen. I am hoping that some variant of it exists in WinMo 7.

What do you like about Windows Phone that no other platform offers?

The level of customization.

Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile
Windows Mobile.

sharpja

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?

-For the most part, I'm satisfied.

2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?

-I have used custom ROMs in the past, but I'm not on my Treo Pro

3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)

-Not yet, though I'm watching it closely.

4. What do you like about Windows Phone that no other platform offers?

-Frankly, I really like the today screen. Every other platform reminds me of my old Palm OS devices where the applications were the focus (turn it on and you see the application launcher), whereas, with my WinMo devices my appointments, todos and emails/sms's are the focus. I like having all of that there at a glance.

5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile

-WinMo

noobler

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1) Waiting but not patiently.
2) Custom on wife's Touch Pro but had problems with my Vogue. Using SPB Mobile Shell.
3) Yes, but I'm really waiting on a great phone. HD2 or Bravo. The phone that comes out first will win me over.
4) I like that I know it and am used to it. I know the apps that I like.
5) Windows Mobile is fine with me.

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Casey-
To ask you a few questions. Where do you feel WM needs to improve on more; hardware, platform, app selection, or what. Do you feel that WM has been getting the better of the HTC hardware, do you wish Android had been the first to get a HD2 type hardware? What are the main strengths you feel Android has over WM?

JackG058

Oct 31, 2006
www.LatterDayTruth.org
1. I'm mixed on where Window's Mobile is right now. HTC makes enough customizations on the TouchPro 2 that the unease of use is mostly answered. But I do wait impatiently for WM7. WM is starting to feel so behind the times.

2. I am quite happy with the stock ROM on the Sprint TP2. Custom ROM's would be considered only if I were having performance issues with the stock ROM.

3. I actually carried the Sprint Hero for a day, and while I liked it, the battery life is too much of an issue for me. I gave the Hero to my son, and my brother also carries the Hero. While they both love their phones, they do run into low battery conditions pretty much every day, while my TP2 rarely hits 50% charge remaining. Granted our usage is probably different but even when my TP2 was brand new and of course I was on it all the time, my battery life was really quite good. So, Android is just a maybe for me.

4. I think WM is easily customizable with a good, active community behind it. Plus, I've already got a bunch of programs that I've purchased that function extremely well for me.

5. It should be obvious that I still call it Windows Mobile.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hmm.. The conversation seems to have died off--Let's fix that.

First, I want to recall a couple of my comments from yesterday with regards to Windows Mobile as a whole; I was on a roll with some of the negativity, and we all know how that goes. Anyway, I mentioned, "[Windows Mobile as a product] is honestly no longer relevant in today's ecosystem." I don't believe that. Microsoft has simply let the novelty of the user experience atrophy to the point where they'll be expected to present an OS overhaul in the coming months, but it's still very usable and has managed to retain relevancy by...

[wait for it]

...positioning itself as the OS behind the OS. Look at The HTC HD2 recently released, a beautiful, capacitive touchscreen screen and a fantastic Sense UI which is ideal in showing the flexibility of the OS. It contains all the flash and widgets the average consumer has come to appreciate in a modern smartphone as well as retained a compatibility with much of the programs die-hard Windows Mobile fans have come to require. It's not nearly perfect, but both the hardware and software have that much-needed "Wow!" factor.​

Now for something entirely different. How about we generate some questions to keep a civil debate going and keep educated those not in-the-know. Heck, I've heard some great advice so far, some even I didn't realize.

Perhaps I'll start with a couple for Casey:

1. As an Android User, what (if anything) do you personally find attractive in Windows Mobile over Andriod?

2. What are the must have apps, and how do you feel about centralized app repositories?​

route507too

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have to be honest here, I'm not a WinMo user. After watching the SPE Round Robin video on WinMo phones, I happily joined this community and will be following closely. I'll eventually be getting rid of the Storm...good thing I have months and months until I get out of my contract with VZW because I'll need all the time to decide on what OS I want and then what phone I want. Yikes!

In any case, looking forward to your video next week. :)

cdawg62184

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?

ALWAYS waiting for the next big thing in tech...I think Windows has a little catching up to do IMO

2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?

there are probably tons of people who just use it, unaware of the possibilities, but I do think that it is 'suggested' to use ROMs and the like...

3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)

I do think about it a lot, just a personal preference though.

familiarity.

5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile?

WinMo!

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Windows Mobile is a very successful OS that has been cultivated and nurtured to become what it is today WinMo6.5. Am I "satisfied" with how Windows Mobile is right now? I would have to say "Yes" and "No", here's why; For me the WinMo experience is defined by manufacturer customizations, my favorite coming from HTC, this is the "yes"! The "no" on the other hand is the OS itself....WinMo is in need of a serious refresh and possibly even new architecture. The current end user experience is often a painful one unless said user is actively involved/current with such forums as XDA developers where most devices get a second chance at their functionality and are often times taken beyond functionality into something thats fun to use! As to WinMo7, I cant wait! From the rumors, job hirings, and even Steve Ballmer himself, it sounds like WinMo7 is the superhero coming to save us from the sinking ship known as WinMo6.5!
For many people their lives are too hectic or they are too ignorant to realize that Window Mobile can be used beyond the "stock" settings or even "upgraded"! I have an HTC wizard that shipped with Windows Mobile 5 and with help from websites like XDA developers i have flashed custom firmware to it over the years and kept the device current as it is now running WinMo6.5 almost perfectly, save for a few hiccups here and there....but the biggest factor i believe in negativity generated in response to the release of WinMo6.5 was that the people giving negative feedback were using "stock" releases of 6.5 and not the "supercharged" versions available on the net!lol
Android has definitely caught my eye, as the devices coming out with android and even the OS itself keep getting better! Speaking of, I'm eagerly awaiting Android to be "ported" to the Touch Pro 2 by some of the XDA developers, and i know THOUSANDS are as well! Android is definitely an item of interest around the WinMo community and i believe it will be for some time to come!
I would have to say that the amount of customization that can be achieved on a WinMo phone is incomparable to any other platform as far as "user" customization goes. WinMo is adaptable and can be skinned, tweaked, and even modded! I have been a member of the Windows Mobile community for several years now, and let me say this, I have seen some crazy stuff!
In my experience there are several accepted terms that one can use to say Windows Mobile...WinMo, WM, Windows Mobile(duhhhh), Windows Phone( Microsoft re-brand to "modernize" the Windows Mobile name"), as well as some older terminology such as Pocket PC, and PPC(not to be confused with the Apple processor technology).:)

WinMoExp

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
1) Surprisingly enough, I'm actually very satisfied with Windows Mobile right now. WM6.5 is much faster and much more modern looking than previous iterations. The usability has also gone up from my perspective.

From what I see, all Microsoft needs to do is create a better Windows Marketplace, and I would be set.

2) Commonplace? Absolutely not. There are a huge number of people out there who owns WinMo phones and I'm pretty sure that the vast majority do not realize they can change the ROMs on their phones.

It's hard to give an exact number (or even an estimate) of how many people who just use stock ROMs, but I would imagine less than 10% of WinMo users change the ROMs on their phones.

3) I have thought of switching a few times (particularly during 2008-mid/late 2009), but the only OSes I've thought of switching to was WebOS and Maemo.

Android phones are surprisingly similar to WinMo phones (particularly in communities), but personally, I just don't like the way Android works. If I were to make the switch and lose all the apps/games/functionality that I'm used to, then I would prefer to switch to something that feels more modern and is a notable improvement over what I've been using.

4) The combination of moddability and available apps/games.

Windows Mobile has an incredible array of useful applications and great games (something I find to be rare on cell phones), but of course, the iPhone is also a huge contender in this field. However, what tipped the scale for me towards WinMo is how moddable it is. I love the idea of changing ROMs to something completely different and fresh or using newer version of WinMo longer before it is officially released.

5) I personally call it Windows Mobile, though I have seen a few call it Windows phone, which seems kind of silly to me in all honesty. The name sort of suggests one particular phone (and more importantly, the name has been getting in my head as a sort of potential iPhone-competitor Microsoft wants to release) as opposed to simply an OS used by various phones.

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hmm.. The conversation seems to have died off--Let's fix that.

First, I want to recall a couple of my comments from yesterday with regards to Windows Mobile as a whole; I was on a roll with some of the negativity, and we all know how that goes. Anyway, I mentioned, "[Windows Mobile as a product] is honestly no longer relevant in today's ecosystem." I don't believe that. Microsoft has simply let the novelty of the user experience atrophy to the point where they'll be expected to present an OS overhaul in the coming months, but it's still very usable and has managed to retain relevancy by...

[wait for it]

...positioning itself as the OS behind the OS. Look at The HTC HD2 recently released, a beautiful, capacitive touchscreen screen and a fantastic Sense UI which is ideal in showing the flexibility of the OS. It contains all the flash and widgets the average consumer has come to appreciate in a modern smartphone as well as retained a compatibility with much of the programs die-hard Windows Mobile fans have come to require. It's not nearly perfect, but both the hardware and software have that much-needed "Wow!" factor.​

Now for something entirely different. How about we generate some questions to keep a civil debate going and keep educated those not in-the-know. Heck, I've heard some great advice so far, some even I didn't realize.

Perhaps I'll start with a couple for Casey:

1. As an Android User, what (if anything) do you personally find attractive in Windows Mobile over Andriod?

2. What are the must have apps, and how do you feel about centralized app repositories?​

I'll admit that Windows Mobile at this point is better off being the coding piece while other companies make the GUI/visual interface. HTC has always been the best in my opinion and making Windows Mobile fun to use visually.

App wise, I personally love having TomTom on my Tilt. In terms of a centralized app repositories, it works well with Apple. For Windows Mobile and Blackberry (two other phones I use), finding them across the web works just as well in my opinion.

jedah

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
1. I'm cautiously satisfied for now. It could afford a little more eye candy and be more finger-friendly, but it does just about everything that I'd want it to do. Plus skins like the Sense UI and S-Class go a long way toward helping user-friendliness.

2. I read of alot of people who flash roms. I don't plan to yet. I have a Tilt 2 which already has 6.5. With the tweaks people have posted, my device runs pretty fast and looks good enough for me at the moment. I may consider it in the future to remove the AT&T bloatware or if someone perfects the HD2 rom to work w/ landscape.

3. Definitely tempted. I was deciding between a Tilt 2 and Droid before I got the Tilt 2. In terms of power and functionality, they seemed about even (slight nod to WinMo). My main concern was that developers were moving away from WinMo. However, I only have a few apps I really need, and I'm able to find them for WinMo (be it through Marketplace or other channels). The remaining thing Android seemed to have over WinMo was a prettier interface. That wasn't quite good enough for me to move away from the cheap family plan I had going on AT&T. If AT&T had the Droid however, I probably would've got it.

4. Customization and the open community. However, given a little time, I think Android will catch up to WinMo in this area. One of my fav apps on my phone is an arcade emulator some crazy developer out there was able to port to WinMo.. for free! The developer community is awesome. I'm fairly certain such an app would not be avail through iTunes. I think I saw a youtube vid somewhere where someone was also able to do this on Android, though.
Another thing I actually like about WinMo (which alot of people probably don't like) is that some of my old applications still work on 6.5. With WinMo being around for so long, chances are there is an app out there for anything you can think of (although you may have to google around for it).

5. WinMo!

BeeRad

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think Windows Mobile is in its version of "being int he desert" just like Palm did. Much like Malatesta said one time in a podcast, Windows can't afford to just disappear like Palm did, so they have to stick around and take a public verbal beating. I don't think its totally deserved. The OS still functions like a smartphone should, its just a dated UI which has been skinned beautifully by HTC, LG, etc. Should windows have just slapped a skin of their own on it? YES.

Well, thats going to definitely differ but it would heavily depend on which crowd you are directly the question to. I would assume that most people who are hanging around a site like this would be more of the enthusiast, so I would think there would be a lot of ROM flashers. I think thats still a huge perk of the WinPho platform is the tweakability.

I would say yes. I have nothing against WinPho. I had an Imagio and had to send it back. I actually loved the phone and WinMo, it just didn't work out. But if someone wanted something fresh and new and something that is the rage right now, I would say the switch to Android would be natural. The two platforms are somewhat structured the same.

Windows on your side, and community that shares everything along with eachother tweak the phone into what WE want it to be.

I still call it WinMo and WinPho.

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, seeing as my comment from yesterday seems to have disappointingly disappeared into the "approval" ether, let's give this another go...

1. People don't give it the credit it deserves. Windows Mobile was one of the pioneers in "mobile computing," giving you, at the time, a powerful, portable option in productivity. Wow.. that's a lot of P's.

2. Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with most consumers now.. It just no longer can maintain relevency in it's current form. I'm on Windows Mobile 6.1, can I upgrade to 6.5? Likely not. 7.0? Nah. Microsoft needs to look to Apple, Google, Palm, etc. in creating an evolving platform on a stationary device.

3. I use custom roms, but I can also see why those who dont, well.. don't. You don't really have a plethora of safeguards, and most of what people use is very back-alley-esque. Personally, I need it to make the phone do what I need it to do.

4. Android is new, I think I'll let it settle in first. We'll see what's on the horizon for Windows Mobile 7.0 before jumping ship.

5. Device choice! Whatever you want, there's likely something from HTC, Samsung, Palm, etc. that will suit your needs. Of course, Android is now getting into this game as well.

6. Windows Phone is new and weird sounding, like Wii.. people will get used to it.​

djitch

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It looks to me as if most of the people commenting on windows mobile are split right down themiddle when it comes to satisfaction. It seems the die hard people are for the most part satisfied and maybe some of the newbies are a bit more on the opposite side of that argument!

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys!

The Smartphone Round Robin is officially underway and that means we need your help to get us up to speed with all the goings of your platform! Don't worry, we have prizes galore for you guys (every day you make a post in the thread for the next week, you'll be entered to win a Windows Phone device, find details at www.smartphoneroundrobin.com) so be sure to speak up!

So obviously Android and Windows Phone have similar strategies in their platform--they want to be the OS behind the phone, not the phone maker (well, for now)--so there's so much for us Android users to learn from Windows Phone since it's been around for so long. With Android finally gaining more form factors, we're starting to deal with some of the issues that I'm presuming Windows Phone has solved (like apps for diff screen sizes).

Here are a couple of questions I have to get it started:

I'll definitely be back with more questions and am excited to hear what you guys say! Thanks in advance!

1. Yes and no. I am satisfied with the capabilities of windows mobile, but not with the 6.5 today screen or the old looking applications.
2. I use them. Right now I have the HTC branded rom on my Tilt because it seems the most stable and works with my Celio Redfly.
3. Maybe Android if it continues to gain features, but It is still hard to customize. WM still has them all beat there.
4. As many have said seamless integration with exchange, ease of customization
5. The OS is Window Mobile the device is a Windows Phone.

barbo

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm a new tiilt2 owner and I like it very much but it took me a while to figure it out - more time than I think most noobies would want to spend
I'm using the stock ROM and considering a flash
Android might be in my future - down the road a couple years
I like being able to customize stuff
Win Mo

jeeves5454

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
1) I am mainly satisfied with the functionality, open-ness, and availability of apps. Always happy to get the new stuff however :) Moved to Windows Mobile 6.5.x so fast made my phone spin
2) Custom ROMs are almost required to have a decent experience. Spent 2 years on a stock Windows Mobile 5.0 and regret every moment of it. However staying on the bleeding edge has its own dangers such that new functionality does not always work out of the box. Like any good Linux or Windows computer the phone requires constant tweaking to work, and there is always something new on the horizon
3) Yes, Android does appear to be the next logical choice IF and ONLY IF Windows Mobile fizzles out. In a 1:1 feature comparison, discounting UI and sparkles, Windows Mobile still kicks Android's **s in features and capabilities , which is kinda funny because Windows Mobile is from the closed source company, and Android is Linux.

However that doesnt mean that Windows Mobile can perform any of those features or utilize those capabilities all that well, not without a lot of hacking. So I suppose I will switch once all my favorite chefs and app creators move over, and I find a way to port all my data /apps over.

4) Windows Mobile is almost infinitely customizable, and if I want to do something chances are someone has thought about how to do it, has done it or can point the way to getting it done. I have some knowledge of .Net programming, and some VB scripting knowledge, so firing up a copy of Visual Studio is easy enough to do to build custom scripts, applications and even some random networking application to work with an in house automation suite not explicitly supported by the creators of a dozen different machines. Its true that Android can do the same, but it was too young to consider even 6 months ago.... but the tides are turning.

Although, built in tethering, built in file and folder management, built in Office Apps, and a desktop synchronization application kinda keep me happy compared to Android.

5) WIndows Mobile all the way...

A good comparison between Android and Windows Mobile that was made recently occurred close to home, and has made me carefully consider my die hard Windows Mobile attitude. On an Android or iPhone, there is an app out there that once downloaded will just work. No considerations about registry settings, no testing of network protocols, no resets, no pulling the battery out, and certainly no need to worry about the app being built for a different resolution. So nowadays, my stance is lets see what Android 3.0 brings (knowing that the same Windows Mobile infrastructure and design fragmentation is occurring, along with underpowered phones, low memory usage etc may equate Android to Windows Mobile sooner rather than later).

Besides all of the above issues, Windows Mobile Phones just neeeeeeeeed better Hardware. (and Hardware drivers, drat you HTC). What happened to the promised Tegra???

MaDMaN785

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
1. Well, I’m still running on good old 6.1 on my HTC Magician, so cant hugely say about 6.5. But I’m very pleased with what I have, but I would like to have Windows Phone 7, or whatever its going to be called.

2. I think using custom ROMs is fairly common place, from what I’ve seen its pretty easy so I’d say if you haven’t tried and your coming up to the end of a contact and wanting to change, give it a try! Custom UI stuff is very easy too with little to no worry about messing your phone up. So again, give it a go!

3. I’ve thought of it, but I’m not sure. There’s a lot of stuff on my WinMo phone that would be a bit of a pain to move across. But if the right phone comes along and I can find a way to move my stuff, I don’t see why not. 

4. Fits very nicely with other Microsoft products, nice easy ability to customise and lots of apps for it (unlike what some people think, you just have to search a bit to find ours ;-))

5. In my eyes it will always be Windows Mobile. There’s nothing they can really do to stop it being that either :p

Hopefully soon I can go up to a HTC HD2, ready and waiting patiently for 7 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos