AndroidCentral.com on Windows Phone

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I will add to this discussion the one thing I do not like about WinMo is that integration with Macs (my primary computer) is pretty much non-existant. Yeah, I know Boot Camp does the trick, but sometimes I wish it would be better.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
1) I have been playing around with WM for the last what like 15 years. I started with a Windows CE 1.0 device it had a monochrome screen. Every device and every software/ROM update has made the device-software combination better. Could Windows Mobile be better sure it could but I for one am happy with the progress that has been made.
2) Sprint cant make a decent ROM they just cant I have installed custom ROM's on all my devices just as soon as they became available. To say its commonplace not really these devices are expensive and just the thought of messing up is enough to scare most people. The process is really so easy most people would not have a problem so try it you wont regret it.
3) One word... Yawn...;)
4) Flexibility and multitasking. Other devices can but not at the level that most WM devices can.
5) Windows phone is new a way for Microsoft to create a buzz I think, you know, change the name and people will think everything has changed. WM 6.5 is different but not that different all your old stuff still works not like Palms old stuff where you need an immolator to run it. Its Windows Mobile but its also Windows Phone especially if you are talking about the new devices running 6.5. Example I have a Windows Mobile Touch Pro2 running WM6.1 when Sprint releases its 6.5 ROM update is my TP2 now a Windows Phone? According to Microsoft it is.

brat1475

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Casey, welcome to the forum. I am curious of your opinions on Windows Mobile since there is a lot of similar situations between Android and WinMo. Here's my answers:

1. Relatively satisfied. Waiting on Windows Mobile 7 before I completely jump ship.

2. I was a ROM flashaholic for a while, however not so much now. I run an old ATT Tilt, and I think there is not to much new, fun, and shiny left for this old workhorse. Might feel a little different with a device with better processor, RAM, and screen resolution.

3. Android has been on my mind lately. I like the apps, OTA updates concept, and surprisingly I like the widgets, call me weird.

4. I like the outlook integration, versatility of the devices, and having lots of ready info on my today screen, even when using touch flo 2D. I can get a lot of that from Android, my concern is the functionality of the device when I am unable to get a signal or wifi, since I am in the situation often with my job. Also, there's familiarity with the platform for me, I have apps I like, and I know what they can do.

5. Can't get used to Windows Phone. It started out as PDA, Pocket PC, and Windows Mobile. Windows Phone just doesn't sound as good to me as Windows Mobile.

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey... is it just me or have both of my comments during the last two days been sent to the endless abyss of "moderator approval," eh? Is there any way to get around this? I have more to add, but dont want to take the time to write everything out if it won't be seen...

Crazy, it works today. In that case, from before...

1. People don't give it the credit it deserves. Windows Mobile was one of the pioneers in "mobile computing," giving you, at the time, a powerful, portable option in productivity. Wow.. that's a lot of P's.

2. Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with most consumers now.. It just no longer can maintain relevency in it's current form. I'm on Windows Mobile 6.1, can I upgrade to 6.5? Likely not. 7.0? Nah. Microsoft needs to look to Apple, Google, Palm, etc. in creating an evolving platform on a stationary device.

3. I use custom roms, but I can also see why those who dont, well.. don't. You don't really have a plethora of safeguards, and most of what people use is very back-alley-esque. Personally, I need it to make the phone do what I need it to do.

4. Android is new, I think I'll let it settle in first. We'll see what's on the horizon for Windows Mobile 7.0 before jumping ship.

5. Device choice! Whatever you want, there's likely something from HTC, Samsung, Palm, etc. that will suit your needs. Of course, Android is now getting into this game as well.

6. Windows Phone is new and weird sounding, like Wii.. people will get used to it.

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Something's odd...

There's a conspiracy! ;)

All three of my comments over three days have been lost into the seemingly endless abyss of "moderator approval," crazy. Is there any way to get around this? I have much to share, but I don't want to take the time to write everything out if it's not going to be seen...

Thanks!

nofunnyhats

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Windows Mobile

I hate the term Windows Phone, it tell me Microsoft want to be like Apple. I think they should have just kept Windows Mobile, because it is not just Windows on your phone.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I am glad MS decided to call their phones Windows Phones. The 'mobile' word was simply superfluous. Of course these 'mobile phones' are the mobile version of Windows.
Calling all 6.5 devices Windows Phones simplifies marketing and makes the devices instantly more appealing. MS has been bogged down by overly wordy or technical names that ruin a lot of first impressions.
Companies lose the first impression when they give products awful names. Remember the days when the names all phones (especially Verizon) were just a brand followed by a model number. I had an LG VX7000 or something and the rest of my family had LG VX3600 and VX3800 or some garble to that effect. In recent memory I owned an htc phone branded as the [UTStarcom] Verizon XV6800. Tell me that is not an off-putting name compared to the likes of phones now like the Rogue, Razzle, Imagio, Touch Pro 2, and Droid. People don't get excited about developer model numbers; they get excited about brand names.
I digress a little, but you can see that simplification is better.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
There's a conspiracy! ;)

All three of my comments over three days have been lost into the seemingly endless abyss of "moderator approval," crazy. Is there any way to get around this? I have much to share, but I don't want to take the time to write everything out if it's not going to be seen...

Thanks!

I don't see any moderated posts from you maybe it was just a glitch. The last 2 are up so it seams to have resolved its self so keep posting and thanks for all your help.

motty69

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've used WinMo (yes, it's WinMo) for about 2 years and have been happy with the progress it has made since I started using it. I'm currently on a VZW TP2 and I love this phone. While a bit underpowered overall it's a good stopgap phone for me. By that I mean that the moblie market is due for a some fairly big changes in the next few years (before I can upgrade again) and this is a solid phone to sit back and watch it all happen. 4G is on the way (new hardware for all), Snapdragon is looking good but Tegra 2 is coming as well (new hardware again), WinMo 7 in a year (new hardware yet again) and Android is moving in the right direction (to early to say new hardware, but my NE2 isn't till 2011). I've jumped the gun a few times in the past, and I'm determined to sit back and watch how things unfold this time. I would love for my next phone to be dual-boot Android/WM7, with a 1GHz processor and true 3D video drivers (I'm looking at you HTC) on a 4G network. It's the future baby, anything could happen!

As far as custom roms go, gotta have them right now. The stock 6.1 rom on the VZW TP2 was suprisingly good, but once you flash a 6.5 rom with sense 2.5 there's no going back.

SandersJC1964

Jan 2, 2009
Visit site
1. Right now? Not entirely satisfied, but using a 6.5.1 ROM on my Treo Pro has been a mostly pleasant experience, which brings me to;

2. I have tried various UIs and skins (Spb MS, UL, Manila 2D), but usually would revert back to the stock setup, until the Treo Pro got unlocked, that is. Having never messed with custom ROMs before, I was a little hesitant, but I am glad I flashed to WM 6.5.1. Now I'm not an every day flasher, at least not once I find a ROM that works well for me.

3. I've definitely considered a transition to Android, especially after playing with a Samsung Moment and the HTC Hero at the Sprint store. However, for the time being, I am sticking with my WM Treo Pro.

4. Having been a WM user from my days with the Dell Axim x3i, I've grown accustomed to keeping my device and desktop synced, but since Google started enabling syncing via Exchange, and with the advent of Microsoft MyPhone service, I've been getting my info into the "cloud", so an OS transition wouldn't be as tedious as previously.

5. I just call it my phone.

djitch

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So are you aware of anytihing that windows is going to be coming out with anytime soon that is going to be a "kick butt" phone? I was satisfied with my windows phone at first too... then i was turned onto the other formats that exist. And I only saying that windows really needs to step up their game if they want to stay in the game as a major player!

mvierling

May 19, 2008
Visit site
- Custom ROMS are very problematic. Viigo does not work on most of them, including the very popular Energy ROMS.

- I would like to say that I'm waiting for Windows Mobile 7, but the truth is, it is apparently a resource hog and requires a 1Ghz processor to run it. Those of us using Touch Pro 2/Tilt2 won't be able to run it, at least officially. Sure, there will be cooked roms, but it will be so slow that it won't be very functional.

- Microsoft has been working on Windows Mobile 7 for over 3 years and still can't get it released. Google and Apple have been able to create a new OS for a phone in less than half that time.

My past two phones have been Windows phones, but Microsoft is either unwilling or unable to create an finger friendly OS for a phone. It is very hard to justify continued use of their outdated OS.

DaNeener

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Android would be my go-to after WinMo

1. It's definitely better than it was 1.5-2 years ago, but I'm looking forward to the WinMo7/Zune software that will be out in a year. Maybe on a HD3?
2. I've flashed a few ROMs on my Fuze, but do it seldomly.
3. If it was not for my gf being on my plan, and her love of all things iPhone, I'd have a Hero or Droid (more likely) in my hands right now.
4. I'm having a REALLY hard time coming up with a definitive answer for that question these days.
5. WinMo

bahbah

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I was on WM 6.1 and while I liked it I was concerned that the platform was not progressing nearly as quickly as others. I recently converted over to the Droid and have been very happy with the experience. Droid is much faster and I find it easier to customize using the marketplace and settings on the device.

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So are you aware of anytihing that windows is going to be coming out with anytime soon that is going to be a "kick butt" phone? I was satisfied with my windows phone at first too... then i was turned onto the other formats that exist. And I only saying that windows really needs to step up their game if they want to stay in the game as a major player!

I have one thing to say.....US HD2= kick butt!!!:D

itz425

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I am currently looking to jump ship at least until Windows Mobile 7 comes out. I really want to try Android, however, I have Sprint and both their Android devices do not excite me. If they would carry the Droid or a device like the HD2 loaded with Android, I wouldn't think twice. WM is boring me right now.

noobler

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
WM Boring?

I'm not sure how you can be bored with WM. So many things to do. Tweeks, new ROMs, it's all out there to find and do.

I would like to try android myself but to say WM is boring is not correct.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure how you can be bored with WM. So many things to do. Tweeks, new ROMs, it's all out there to find and do.

I would like to try android myself but to say WM is boring is not correct.

I suppose I could see the average non-techy consumer being bored with Windows Mobile. After all, what percentage of users really take the time to seek out and install the various tweaks and mods that keep the OS looking and feeling competitive? The stock build, after all, isn't exactly eye-candy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium