AndroidCentral.com on Windows Phone

brat1475

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't say boring. I've switched to an Iphone 2G jailbroken on Tmo with the Tilt as my backup. After using the Iphone, I will say some things Windows Mobile can improve on. Integration of certain apps. What I mean is, when I'm browsing the web on my Iphone, if I go to Youtube for example, and click on a video, it opens in the Youtube player. I haven't had that feature on Windows Mobile. It has a youtube player, or if I use Skyfire I can view it, but some integration on that would be better. My other beef is updates. I can use cooked ROMs, I love cooked ROMs, but it would be nice if some older, yet still relevant devices would get software updates. Android is doing it for the most part, though I hate the fact that "new" phones are still running Android 1.5. Apple is doing it, though it is painful because of having to wait for a jailbreak and unlock. I wish Microsoft could find a way to do it, and have it be a seemless experience. I think my dream phone would be the "pretty" of Apple, the OTA updates and widgets of Android, and the versatility and power of Windows Mobile. At least there's dreams...

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?

I'm going to have to agree with most consumers now.. It just no longer can maintain relevency in it's current form. I'm on Windows Mobile 6.1, can I upgrade to 6.5? Likely not. 7.0? Nah. Microsoft needs to look to Apple, Google, Palm, etc. in creating an evolving platform on a stationary device.

Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees?

I use custom roms, but I can also see why those who dont, well.. don't. You don't really have a plethora of safeguards, and most of what people use is very back-alley-esque. Personally, I need it to make the phone do what I need it to do.

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I suppose I could see the average non-techy consumer being bored with Windows Mobile. After all, what percentage of users really take the time to seek out and install the various tweaks and mods that keep the OS looking and feeling competitive? The stock build, after all, isn't exactly eye-candy.

I can not agree with you more! I have seen more people who are running stock ROMs on their phones and have said they hate their phones only to be amazed when i tell them that the insanely awesome phone I'M using is running WinMo!!!!

djitch

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Im guessing everyone out there that isnot a blackberry fan is loving the fact that RIM had that giant email outage yesterday! huh?
it makes us blackberry people look stupid!

JackG058

Oct 31, 2006
www.LatterDayTruth.org
There's a conspiracy! ;)

All three of my comments over three days have been lost into the seemingly endless abyss of "moderator approval," crazy. Is there any way to get around this? I have much to share, but I don't want to take the time to write everything out if it's not going to be seen...

Thanks!

I've had the same problem, and they end up not being posted. Also I've pinged Big D5 the moderator who's posted on this thread, and I haven't heard anything back as to what is going on.

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
The biggest area that WM needs to improve in is app development and how polished the apps look. Let's face it, the general public (who will push a platform to the levels needed) likes pretty/polished apps. Right now there are a ton of them out there, but the apps that are put out are not as polished as what you see for the iPhone or Android. This is partially Microsoft's responsibility. They need to have better developer support and GUI recommendations or samples for developers to copy/use. Also, the fact that the app catalog just came along is part to blame. Now that there is an easier venue for developers to sell their apps in, it will push them go get "prettier" products out cause they will sell better!

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The biggest area that WM needs to improve in is app development and how polished the apps look. Let's face it, the general public (who will push a platform to the levels needed) likes pretty/polished apps. Right now there are a ton of them out there, but the apps that are put out are not as polished as what you see for the iPhone or Android. This is partially Microsoft's responsibility. They need to have better developer support and GUI recommendations or samples for developers to copy/use. Also, the fact that the app catalog just came along is part to blame. Now that there is an easier venue for developers to sell their apps in, it will push them go get "prettier" products out cause they will sell better!

I agree that the App world might help a little bit, but I guess, being an experienced user with WinMo, I've never had a problem searching for apps online nor had problems with apps being un-"polished"

Many apps that I used were effective and looked good on my Windows Mobile phone.

I guess for someone new to the system, however, it is a lot more of a learning curve than, say, an iPhone with the Apple App Store.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Lack of an app store is not a big deal. WinMo marketplace is terrible, by the way. Sites like freewarepocketpc have always been much easier to use than any app store.

We have the web, might as well use it and not limit ourselves to basic queries in an applications catalog. It's also difficult to set up beta testing in an appstore. You really need more information than such a system can provide.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Lack of an app store is not a big deal. WinMo marketplace is terrible, by the way. Sites like freewarepocketpc have always been much easier to use than any app store.

We have the web, might as well use it and not limit ourselves to basic queries in an applications catalog. It's also difficult to set up beta testing in an appstore. You really need more information than such a system can provide.

Yes, but at this point, much of the app catalog is successfully "The Internet: revision 2" since the web simply isn't yet designed for mobile devices.

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
People don't give it the credit it deserves. Windows Mobile was one of the pioneers in "mobile computing," giving you, at the time, a powerful, portable option in productivity. Wow.. that's a lot of P's.

Android is new, so I think I'll let it settle in first. We'll see what's on the horizon for Windows Mobile 7.0 before jumping ship.

dougsyo

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
Sad news about the HTC HD2 on T-mobile, most of the country is edge. They need a cdma version!
If it was ATT (which I have) or Verizon (which I would switch to) I'd be falling over myself for it (even though it doesn't have a physical keyboard). T-Mobile is a non-starter for me.

Doug

noobler

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
With the right phone/good carrier (is there such a thing) I would switch to Android or stay with WinMo. HD2 or the Bravo, give us some power and a capacitive screen. Maybe I'm too greedy.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
With the right phone/good carrier (is there such a thing) I would switch to Android or stay with WinMo. HD2 or the Bravo, give us some power and a capacitive screen. Maybe I'm too greedy.

It is nice to see Windows Mobile devices finally embracing capacitive touch screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb