AndroidCentral.com on Windows Phone

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have my fingers crossed for the HTC Incredible since the HD2 and Nexus1 are both landing at T-mo. Sad days for the two largest networks.

I would bet on the HD2 finding its way over to other carriers eventually.. and I don't think anything is for certain on the Nexus One Android phone, but, if not, the new HTC does look pretty interesting.

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I would bet on the HD2 finding its way over to other carriers eventually.. and I don't think anything is for certain on the Nexus One Android phone, but, if not, the new HTC does look pretty interesting.

I really wouldn't think so as the debut of the HD2 is likely to be overshadowed by the mysterious 4th generation iphone that is "probably" coming out in june....as much as i would love to see the HD2 on ATT, i just dont think it's gonna happen...:(

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I really wouldn't think so as the debut of the HD2 is likely to be overshadowed by the mysterious 4th generation iphone that is "probably" coming out in june....as much as i would love to see the HD2 on ATT, i just dont think it's gonna happen...:(

It's suppose to from what I've heard, but as with every HTC device on AT&T, it will never be advertised and be overpriced by 2x what it goes for on other carriers.

lukegarratt

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I guess a lot of this discussion is applicable to the US only with the limitations of the various networks.

In Australia (smaller populaiton base yes) they all pretty much use the 900/1700/2100 frequencies, with 850 reserved for ultra-fast but ultra-expensive plans by the national carrier Telstra. I'm glad we don't have the headache you guys in the US have when it comes to deciding on device v network (until 4 band chips become more common place)

With respect to the OP:

1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)? - Based upon what friend's have shown me with their devices - I'm waiting to see what WP7 brings. As it is now, it's just too computery-looking and the HTC devices look lovely, but the whole sense UI integrations looks sporadic.
2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)? - Don't know anyone who runs custom roms - and I don't think anybody in any OS/device combo should be expected too.
3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =) - The most logical destination would be based upon why you are leaving WinMo. A better day-to-day phone - S60 Nokia. Polished simplicity - iPhone. More control over the device but with baby fed open source - Android. Want to be different - Maemo.
4. What do you like about Windows Phone that no other platform offers? - Much better 3rd party support without the anal-retentive shutdowns that Apple impose. Security and mail support are a boon too
5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile - WinMo

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It's suppose to from what I've heard, but as with every HTC device on AT&T, it will never be advertised and be overpriced by 2x what it goes for on other carriers.

Well that's sort of true. Tilt 2/TP2 is selling on AT&T for $299.99 but HTC has its own rebate of $100 if you trade in any smartphone (good chance to toss those BB Pearls?). It's a ripoff normally, but that HTC bonus makes it a great deal.

If they keep up these rebates on future WinMo phones, they'll be competitive.

dougsyo

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
At this point, next phone will be:
- Tilt/Touch Pro 2 (or successor) - multiple carriers, I may say with ATT
- Droid (Verizon)
- Imagio (Verizon - although WHY did they leave out a flash?)
- HD2 (if it comes to Verizon or ATT)

I really DO like WM, and I'm starting to do development for it. The primary reason for those phone choices is finger-friendliness.

Doug

Last edited:

fishzle#WP

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
The story in australia is just so different. App store access isn't the same, and the fact that many phones are EDGE is just so old-hat. The major networks here are 3G(UMTS)/HSDA. Telstra has announced 21Mbps to the phone, but there are no phones yet. Where are the phones to make use of the network?

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Well that's sort of true. Tilt 2/TP2 is selling on AT&T for $299.99 but HTC has its own rebate of $100 if you trade in any smartphone (good chance to toss those BB Pearls?). It's a ripoff normally, but that HTC bonus makes it a great deal.

If they keep up these rebates on future WinMo phones, they'll be competitive.

Ha, hey know, I have a Pearl, it's a great little phone. But yeah, I've learned my lesson after dropping $350 on my Tilt when it first came out and had the screen problem with it 2 weeks later (with AT&T saying not our problem).

For HTC phones on contract, Amazon Wireless....you really can't beat some of their deals.

Fobok

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I know I'm a little late getting into the contest on this site, but hope I'm not too late. :)

Windows Mobile, I think, has a couple of really cool specific phones. My problems with them have to do with software, having seen a demo of the interface it doesn't seem very well designed in the modern market.

Still, if the HD2 came/comes to Rogers, I'll be seriously tempted to extend my contract to upgrade.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
At this point, next phone will be:
- Tilt/Touch Pro 2 (or successor) - multiple carriers, I may say with ATT
- Droid (Verizon)
- Imagio (Verizon - although WHY did they leave out a flash?)
- HD2 (if it comes to Verizon or ATT)

I really DO like WM, and I'm starting to do development for it. The primary reason for those phone choices is finger-friendliness.

Doug

Isn't there supposedly a touch-friendly version of Windows Mobile 6.5(.1?) gearing up to be released? Pair that slight UI bump with HTC's Sense UI and you might have a recipe for removing most all of the terribly dated design elements of Windows Mobile in advance of Windows Mobile 7.

..Not to mention how the HTC HD2 seems to meet all the minimum requirements for an eventual Windows Mobile 7 upgrade.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

Well, Isn't there supposedly a touch-friendly version of Windows Mobile 6.5(.1?) gearing up to be released? Pair that slight UI bump with HTC's Sense UI and you might have a recipe for removing most all of the terribly dated design elements of Windows Mobile in advance of Windows Mobile 7.

..Not to mention how the HTC HD2 seems to meet all the minimum requirements for an eventual Windows Mobile 7 upgrade.

P.S. It seems I'm getting that "Moderation" comment that others have mentioned too.

Tacos

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
With all that's been said, I'm still a pretty big fan of the HD2. It has some of the best specs (on paper) of any smartphone I've seen.

Good contest. And good luck!

Last edited:

Bassmanbob

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't Windows Mobile have a touch-friendly version of 6.5(.1?) on the horizon for release? That, paired with HTC's Sense UI, might successfully remove most all of the remaining 'old' and 'unfriendly' UI elements in order to make it more appealing to consumers.

WinMo has been "more" touch friendly since the release of WM6 but mostly due in part to the patented TouchFlo software implemented by HTC....

JackG058

Oct 31, 2006
www.LatterDayTruth.org
Hey, does the posts repeating the same thing count toward the contest? If so, I'm surprised that this conversation has stayed focused on the topic as it has thus far.

WinMo without the aid of HTC or SPB would truly be drab compared to the newer OS's such as Android or webOS. But with the TouchFlo 3D (now SenseUI) or SPB's mobile shell, along with the functionality of WinMo, I think we have a great combo here.

pischk

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
My love affair with Windows Phone

Here are a couple of questions I have to get it started:

1. Are you guys satisfied with where Windows Phone is right now? Or are people simply waiting (im)patiently for Windows Phone 7 (or whatever it's called)?
I love the improvements in Windows Phone 6.5.3; it just gets better and better. It is so finger and gesture friendly, especially compared to version 6.5. With all that I see in 6.5.3, I am so excited about version 7, but I'm definitely not a lame duck until then!

2. Is using custom ROMs and the like commonplace on Windows Phone? How many people just use Windows Phone (no skin, ROM, UI, etc)?
I believe Custom ROMs is why Windows Mobile/Windows Phone has not died. For years, the phone carriers have bogged down some great hardware with their bloatware and made many phones unusable or almost unusable. With Custom ROMS, people remove the bloatware and the beauty that is Windows Phone can come out and do its thing!

3. Anyone ever think of moving to Android? Is that the most logical destination for Windows Phone refugees? =)
Android is still too much in its infancy for me to depend on it for ongoing business and personal needs. While I really love some of the cool apps being developed on it, many I would not use but once or twice. However, Google is taking advantage of the Microsoft's delays to push out a great platform that will have many usable apps in the near future.

4. What do you like about Windows Phone that no other platform offers?
Complete compatibility with Windows-based environments, whether home or work (e.g., Exchange, ActiveSync, Microsoft Office, etc.). I know of people who still lose information when they sync "cross platform" to another phone, whether its notes or additional Contact information.

5. Does anyone really call it Windows Phone or is it Windows Mobile
I actually use "Windows Phone" when I refer to my OS. Having grown up with Windows CE, Windows Mobile and now Windows Phone, I can truly enjoy the significant changes and productive changes through the years.

I hope that Microsoft can do something to get Windows Phone 7 out the door before 4th quarter 2010 and into the hands of consumers before its too late!

JackG058

Oct 31, 2006
www.LatterDayTruth.org
I have checked out the Droid and Hero. They seem a bit snappier than my HTC TP2, but all in all, I like the configurability of WinMo.

Really on the Hero? I carried it for a day to try it out, deciding whether to keep my Touch Pro2 or the Hero. I ended up giving my son the Hero and keeping the TP2. I find my TP2 quick (on par with the Hero) and with a more complete experience for my needs. Plus, the battery life on the TP2 exceeds what usage I found on the Hero. A big point for the TP2 in my book.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb