CrackBerry Kevin Goes Windows Mobile, Smartphone Round Robin 2009

Fobok

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I never really even paid much attention to the Zune. Maybe I'll need to look up some videos about it, see what its' UI is like.

saymes

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
WinMo has always seemed like a PDA with phone features added on. Let's hope that 7 makes it a phone with PDA features added on.

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
WinMo has always seemed like a PDA with phone features added on. Let's hope that 7 makes it a phone with PDA features added on.

I disagree. At least the latest versions have been pretty well integrated with all parts. And to be honest, isn't that what a smartphone is? An all-in-one device for everything? And a PDA is an all in one device minus cellular connectivity. Palm Tungsten and LifeDrive have Wifi, so you could get browsers, email, etc.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Merry Christmas everyone! ..And I hope you've had a happy Hanukkah too, if you celebrated it!

Ah, it's a good season.

Last edited:

NPR_Aficionado

Mar 18, 2008
Visit site
Strengths & Weaknesses - I am going to pick the same item for both the strength as well as weakness. The ability to customize pratically everything in the OS is a great strength. The need to customize pratically everything in the OS is it's biggest weakness. I like messing with my devices, so I love flashing ROM'S and setting everything up just how I like it today. My wife does not want to have to do that, and the plain WM look and setup is blah. After having a Palm WM device for a year, she switched to the Pre and is much happier straight out of the box. I on the otherhand am loving my TP2. WM requires more work to love and enjoy than other platforms, but that is what many like.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm on a Droid Eris now. I am never coming back to WinMo unless 7 brings some radical change (which I doubt). WinMo isn't Microsoft's bread and butter. It works great in conjunction with Windows and that is good enough for them. It really seems like they only care about catching up. Getting ahead likely costs more.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm on a Droid Eris now. I am never coming back to WinMo unless 7 brings some radical change (which I doubt). WinMo isn't Microsoft's bread and butter. It works great in conjunction with Windows and that is good enough for them. It really seems like they only care about catching up. Getting ahead likely costs more.

You're being too pessimistic. I think everyone now realizes how important mobile computing has become to the lives of people everywhere. Smartphones are the new notebooks, notebooks are the new desktops.. in a sense. Having seen the fairly dramatic UI usability changes in many of Microsoft's recent offerings (Zune, Office, Windows 7, Currier Concept), it's clear that Microsoft is beginning to focus on refining their platforms in terms of both flash and substance--they're just a battleship when it comes to changing course in a mistake.

Anyway, I wouldn't count Windows Mobile out just yet. Clearly there's a large gap between Windows Mobile today, and the other leading platforms, including iPhone, WebOS, and Android... but Windows Mobile hasn't seen its extreme makeover yet... and with Microsoft's resources and partnerships, there's great potential.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

I know it's not especially fair to be singling you out, but I'm not sure it's terribly in-line with the spirit of the contest to simply post daily, one-word replies in order for you to meet a contest entry quota. While I might not necessarily be an absolute shining example, many others--on this forum and especially the rest--have been actually trying to contribute to a meaningful dialogue.

KU Kitch

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I personally feel like these are both excellent platforms with different strengths of course. I feel that BlackBerry OS is by far the strongest messaging platform out there, however the entire UI is dated and needs to be revamped. WM seems to be perfect for a person in an Exchange environment, and is highly customizable for those who like to tweak things... I also feel that it is way outdated and desperately in need of WM7 to be a real update, or 6.5.x for that matter. The level of customization of comps like HTC helps mask that need and bring WM to the current day though, and that's a plus in my book despite the whole "lipstick on a pig" part of it. I'm just looking for an awesome touchscreen phone, and the HD2 is in the running for me. If the Storm 2 was on another network, I might look at it a little more closely, as it seems to be pretty solid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers