webOS User Back on Windows Phone - Say Howdy to Dieter

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Hey Everybody!

I've passed the torch to Phil for representing WinMo full time this year, but you and I both know that WinMo is an old friend for me. So while I get the OS, I'm more curious about where you think things are and where they're going, specifically:

- Do you use something like sense or touchwiz? Are the NECESSARY for WinMo these days
- Do you miss WinMo standard? Does anybody use it anymore?
- Do you think Microsoft is behind? What do they need to do to catch up?
- What's one feature you'd steal from webOS? From Android?

Fobok

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't actually yet have a Windows Mobile phone, so afraid I can't do much to answer the questions. I do know, though, that they definitely have some catching up to do to keep up with the other phone systems available just in attractiveness to outside customers.

Right now, I really want the HD2. Other than that, though, there really isn't anything specific attracting me as a customer to Windows Mobile phones. Android has app support and Google integration, Blackberry has great messaging, iPhone has massive app support and a great browser, Nokia has great cameras and multimedia support, and so on. There's nothing that's really grabbing about Windows Mobile.

tms78

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey Everybody!

I've passed the torch to Phil for representing WinMo full time this year, but you and I both know that WinMo is an old friend for me. So while I get the OS, I'm more curious about where you think things are and where they're going, specifically:

- Do you use something like sense or touchwiz? Are the NECESSARY for WinMo these days

1)Not really...those other UI's look nice, but most take away from performance
2)Winmo standard is good for messaging, but not for the "wow" factor.
3)Microsoft is behind in all the "fun" stuff & sexiness, but waaaaaaaay ahead in the stuff that makes a smartphone "smart". Function is still preferred over form in my book.
4)I'd steal the "cards" for multitasking. It's simply the best feature of WebOS (altho it wasn't enough to keep me with WebOS).

tms78

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't actually yet have a Windows Mobile phone, so afraid I can't do much to answer the questions. I do know, though, that they definitely have some catching up to do to keep up with the other phone systems available just in attractiveness to outside customers.

Right now, I really want the HD2. Other than that, though, there really isn't anything specific attracting me as a customer to Windows Mobile phones. Android has app support and Google integration, Blackberry has great messaging, iPhone has massive app support and a great browser, Nokia has great cameras and multimedia support, and so on. There's nothing that's really grabbing about Windows Mobile.

Actually, Windows phones have tens of thousands of apps as well. In addition, google integration has been possible ever since Google added exchange support. Microsoft Exchange push email >RIM's buggy messaging and frequent server failures. Iphone has a superior browser, but everything else in their closed ecosystem leaves lots to be desired.

In short, each OS has it's benefits and detractions. However, none are really as "smart" as Winmo, yet.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey Everybody!

I'm u help ya out Boss. Where ya been glad ya stopped by. :D lol

-I like to use sense when I am not at work. Sense has some great eye candy and the location weather is handy but sense isn't necessary at times I prefer Windows default.
-I switch from sense to Windows default during work hours its much easier to navigate when I am in a hurry. Nope don't miss it because I use it every day.
-I am in the minority here but I like the continued progression of the WM platform. I am worried that if Microsoft tries to do to much with 7 it could be bad for us all. I guess I personally don't feel that Windows phone is bad it could be better and with some juicy marketing Windows Phone could beat out all the others. As far as catching up goes Microsoft needs to integration between there other devices like XBOX and then tell people about it. Come on Microsoft take a hint already!!!
- When I first got my Pre I sat down to figure out how to get my 250+ contacts loaded. Of course I used my Gmail address during the initial setup which in turn loaded all my contacts seamlessly to my surprise the next time I checked my contacts they were all there that was cool. Android I don't need anything from Android from what I have seen it looks like an older version of WinMo.

I hope that helps!

Dave

asciiwar#WP

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
MS is definitely behind and WM7 isnt going to help that much. I think the folks with custom ROMs have done more than MS to advance WinMo as a platform lately.

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the windows mobile community (even if it is temporary) Dieter

I am using TouchFlo3d on my Tilt2 it's not necessary but it is a nice interface

Never really used it but I heard there were some nice features in it.

Absolutely, they need to integrate their other systems and service (zune, xbox, live services) with a class leading interface

From android a web kit browser, from webos seamless multitasking

Last edited:

joecatskill

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey Everybody!

- Do you use something like sense or touchwiz? Are the NECESSARY for WinMo these days - No I haven't used a cooked ROM for my Omnia. I've thought of it but the UI for the Verizon Omnia is very easy to use and after a month I could do everything and more than I could with my trusty Treo 700p. I am however looking at the Pre Plus with much lust...
- Do you miss WinMo standard? Does anybody use it anymore? Nope. I do love the flexibility to use basic WinMo functions but I'm good with what this does and some of the improvements that I've thrown on my device.
- Do you think Microsoft is behind? What do they need to do to catch up?I don't think its behind, I think the functionality is as good anything out there. I think Microsoft looking to integrate its desktop and media functions into the phone like Apple and Google can only help the phone experience. Doing so in a way that lets you still get to apple/google/yahoo and other products/content is an advantage for WinMo.
- What's one feature you'd steal from webOS? From Android?Love the cards from WebOs and the ability for all of your contact information from various databases to show up on one contact card. As far as I can see android doesn't really have anything that I can't do with my WinMo v 6.1. But I'd LOVE A NEW PRE PLUS!!!

xd1936

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Welcome back, Dieter!

I like using Titanium, actually. 6.5's built-in home-screen plugin. It's not the flashiest thing out there, but it's prolly the most functional.

Never have, never will.

Yes. Yes they are. They've changed very, very little since Windows Mobile 5 (besides looks). Better battery life, a homescreen plugin, and some aesthetic changes is all that's changed in 5 years. The rest of the good stuff we need to thank HTC and others for.

WebOS? The multitasking, of course. :D
Android? I'd have to say, the homescreen system. It's simple, yet more modern, than the today screen.

jedah

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
1. I switch between TF3D and Titanium. If Titanium had a better calendar (like the Sense 2.5 UI and a superscript to let me know I have another appmt coming up) and a panel with shortcuts to fav apps (natively.. since the app in the store that does this causes errors in my phone), then I'd probably use it more often since TF3D does use up significant resources.

2. I do miss standard. I had a Blackjack before my Tilt2 for 3 years, and it was awesome. But MS (and most platforms for that matter) are clearly steering toward touchscreens.

3. I'd say WM is behind in their UI. Its functionality seems on par or above most platforms. They made some strides w/ 6.5, but they need to go even deeper. They seem to have the pieces to blow everyone out of the water if they integrated everything (Xbox, Office, Zune, Bing, etc), but they just haven't come close to realizing their potential. Also, although they have a ton of apps, it's very disjointed. Apple demonstrated what could happen if they centralized all the apps. Perhaps, if MS made Marketplace into the mother of all stores (like working w/ Handago, OpnMarket, etc.)?

4. I'd also steal the cards, notifications system, and synergy from WebOS. TF3D does well in integrating Facebook, but it's not nearly as nice as WebOS. From Android.. perhaps google navigation (Bing.. c'mon!!!)

nemo0405

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey Everybody!

1) yes i do use sense 2.1 but personally i don't think it is necessary because titanium is also a great finger friendly use interface especially with weather integration and custom tabs but sense UI is still prettier to look at :D

2) Do i miss WinMo standard? Not really because i think WinMo is jsut as easy to use on both touch screen and non-touch screen devices. Does anyone use it anymore? i still pick up my blackjack 2 here and there and use it especially on long trips because of better battery life because my touch pro 2...eh i can drain the battery pretty quickly especially because im ALWAYS doing something and trying out new things on it...

3) I do think Microsoft is behind and what they really should have done is integrated a Marketplace much much much earlier...like when Apple released its App store or even before that...i think this way our software... especially gaming...would have been way more advanced but as far as the "smart" part of the phone i don't think other platforms are even close to WinMo because of all the great apps...

4) i would steal quick multitasking from WebOS because its much better then having to go to the home screen everytime to switch between applications and the ONLY feature i really really really wish i had from Android is the task manager bar wo turn bluetooth wifi ... on and off...If i could i would put one right about the clock in Sense UI...the WiFi switch from the marketplace works great but i still need one for bluetooth but other then that i couldn't be happier with any other platform...I Love WinMO!!! :)

xalias51

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
I have tried them on a 6.5 flashed Omnia and I can take it or leave it. In my opinion, functionality trumps pretty.

I still use it because I prefer it to the touchscreen. It feels simpler to use and is almost every bit as functional as pro. I have found with the Omnia that touchscreens are not for me. I have to have a front facing keyboard. Slide-out keyboards like I had on my TYTN just get annoying after awhile, and soft keyboards just cause me no end of frustration and I find them very slow to use. One handed use is a must.

I am probably alone in this but from a functionality standpoint I would actually say they are ahead of everyone else. The others have pretty interfaces and lots of eye-candy but that doesn't necessarily add to functionality. The pie browser leaves a lot to be desired, but I prefer Skyfire anyway. I think the incremental upgrades they are providing are moving them in the right direction. Everyone is excited about WinMo 7, but I approach such a drastic change with trepidation.

Never having used either of these, I will defer my answer except to say that I would really like to see a better task manager out of the box. I think WinMo is a good multitasker (I often run multiple apps at once) but, out of the box, app switching is not the easiest thing to do.

Although WinMo, in my opinion is an excellent OS, I find that it can be slow at times. There is an abundance of apps available (app stores are for sissies!) and I have been using it since Windows Mobile 2003 so I can find my way around fairly well. In addition, I have yet to find any other smartphone OS that is a flexible and customizable as WinMo. With the right tweaks, you can get it to do just about anything your little heart desires.

And let's not forget the excellent exchange integration.

sharpja

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site

I've played with Sense but I keep coming back to the standard UI (using WinMo6.1) While I like the look of the alternative skins, I find that the standard today screen provides me with the info that I need NOW with the fewest clicks.

I've never used it. I prefer touch screens.

I think that they are behind in usability, but not in capability. I can do everything that I want to with my Treo Pro and I don't find the application availability lacking. The Marketplace isn't as full as I'd like, but there are many, many other sources for applications, so that is really sort of irrelevant.

I'd steal nothing from Android, but I'd take the cards from webOS.

I really think that if microsoft chases after the flash of the other OSes, it might be the worse thing that they could do. What they have going for them is variability, options, and info at a glance. They need to really capitalize on the info at a glance aspect. Sure there are widgets for Andoid, but I've not seen as clean an integration with the PIM as the today screen is/can be.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am still using a winmo6.1 treo pro thinking about the tilt2 or maybe an ATT pixi or pre or an android offering from AT when they show up. The tilt2 is probably at the top of the list but the reports of Telstra getting the HD2 is most intriguing since the Australian 3G GSM is the same as the US. Cost is the big question.

EDIT: forget to say Howdy to Dieter!

Last edited:

Fobok

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Actually, Windows phones have tens of thousands of apps as well. In addition, google integration has been possible ever since Google added exchange support. Microsoft Exchange push email >RIM's buggy messaging and frequent server failures. Iphone has a superior browser, but everything else in their closed ecosystem leaves lots to be desired.

In short, each OS has it's benefits and detractions. However, none are really as "smart" as Winmo, yet.

Thank you! I didn't have any idea about any of this. This really puts WinMo back on the radar for me.

jankyhanky#WP

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

Unfortunately most of Windows Mobile's apps are terrible. I had WinMo 5, WinMo 6, and WinMo 6.1 and half of the apps I found reliable were to just fix shortcomings in the OS.
-FingerSuite
-Some Task Manager
-Calendar+ homescreen plugin
-Tasks+ homescreen plugin
-iContact
-TotalCommander
-OperaMobile / Skyfire
-Stopwatch

I cooked my own rom just to have a more stable, faster OS. Everyone I work with has felt their WinMo crash, freeze, and act up horrendously. WinMo was cool 3 years ago, but now just about any of its competitors can do whatever you need them to do.

Admittedly, WinMo has THE BEST copy & paste, just like a desktop. 6.5 also mostly eliminates the need for finger-friendly UI modding apps.

WinMo and most of its apps still need a stylus. No one wants to pull out a stylus whether in the car, at the mall, or even at work.

Fdo35

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't actually own a device (Excitedly waiting for Windows Mobile 7!), but if I did I would say that things like Touchwiz and Sense are necessary

No, I really don't miss Windows Mobile Standard.

Well, that depends. If you're counting Windows Mobile 7, then no, and if you aren't, then yes. Yes, because Windows Mobile mainly needs better window management for multiple windows, and the default API interfaces are a bit ugly, although Microsoft has been working on that a lot in 6.5.3, with theme support too (nice!).

From WebOS, it would be its app window management, and from Android it would be its desktop-like homescreen UI.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
i use TouchFlo 3D 2.1, but it's not necessary. The biggest advantage of these interfaces is that they make everything more finger friendly. Even with some of the hacked ROMs floating around, the stock UI can be difficult to use with a finger at times, especially on devices like the Touch Pro which have a small screen.

All of my WinMo devices have been touchscreen devices so i rarely got a chance to use standard.

They're definitely behind on UI design and things like unified APIs for built-in hardware. It's really nothing that WM7 can't fix. WM7 won't instantly turn things around for Microsoft, but it'll get them going in the right direction.
Constant updates from WebOS, although i don't think i would make them mandatory. i'd mimic the system from Windows; allow the users to have updates automatically installed, notified when updates are available, or not notified at all. i'd also like a slicker metaphor for app switching. i don't want to steal the card metaphor from WebOS since it's so decidedly Palm, but From Android i'd say the notification when you install apps. It's really cool that the OS tells you what hardware each new app taps into. Android also shares information between apps more intuitively than Windows Mobile does currently, so i guess i'd steal that too. :)

Kassad

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site

I use TouchFlow3D2.1, I tried Sense on my HTC Touch Pro2 but the phone seems to slow for it, I value speed to eye-candy and TF3D2.1 runs perfect on my TP2.

I tried for a couple of months but tried it after I used touch-screen WinMo phones for years so I couldnt get used to it. What i definitely liked is the ability to browse the system with the number keys (menus etc)

I don't really think they're behind, the have a huge advantage over the other systems and that is the ability to customize your phone. If you dont like the standard home screen you can use plugins (SPB rules here). If the homescreen isnt for you, use Mobile Shell by SPB, use TouchFlow3D by HTC, use Sense, use any other replacement and custimize it any way you want. Sure the WinMo menus look a little old but who really gives a cr*p, how often do you use those? WinMo is, imho, still a stable, fast, customizable and versatile OS.

I must admit I havent tried either...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb