I think Windows Phone caught a huge break.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Google really didn't do anything at Google I/O.

They fixed some bugs for their tablet OS.

Announced a sort of combination between Honeycomb Gingerbread.

But really Android didn't up it's consumer game much at I/O giving Microsoft more time to catch up in features.

What do you guys think? Is iOS and Android approaching maturity to the point where in a year the lack of features just wont' matter. I was harsh on Microsoft assuming the Google and Apple would still majorly shake some things up. But unless Apple overhauls the design of iOS...Microsoft may very well be in the clear to drop Mango and gain some major mind share momentum. No longer will it be the phone OS of can't do...but does much better.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
As Microsoft has repeatedly said... its still early in the game. We're barely into the second quarter, in football parlance. The masses still don't have smartphones, and they probably aren't going to buy iphones at apple's premium. That leaves the majority of the market to microsoft and google.

The next step for MS is to get some exclusively wp7 next gen devices that have that "ooo" factor. I figure this is where nokia will come in.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I agree, devils advocate. I love my iPhone and focus, but if I had to chose between the two because of price, it would be the focus.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What's the iPhone premium?

The iPhone sells for more than just about anything comparable. When I bought my focus, the iPhone3GS cost more, nevermind the iPhone4.

Most of Apple's products have some price premium that you pay over a competitors product. Sometimes the premium is justified, sometimes not, but I'd bet that the masses go cheap... not premium. Especially if you're out there today and still don't have a smartphone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My iPhone cost $199. My BlackBerry Bold was $199. My Focus was $199. [I didn't pay 199 for my focus, I traded for it, but at the time, it was $199 from ATT]

I've had a domed iMac and a Mac Book Pro. Now looking back, I paid a premium. But as far as phones are concerned. Seems like you're getting what you're paying for.

Last edited:

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Android in general is a lot more liquid in terms of UX than the iPhone, and I forsee it making some changes over time as Google tries to bring in the reigns and bring the UX closer to iPhone and Windows Phone. I think iOS is much closer to the point that Windows is at on the desktop, where UI changes risk alienating long term users. I do expect some interesting features and changes (*ahem* notifications) on iOS 5, but they really have to walk a thin line with any sort of major overhaul and I don't see that happening, especially not in response to Windows Phone. It's just too soon, and frankly, they don't need to at this stage.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The phone is the least of the premium aspect. I pay about the same price for TWO smartphones on Sprint with unlimited data/texting compared to the same price for one iPhone plan on AT&T. (Although Sprint has started to raise prices and is getting less competitive)

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone cost $199. My BlackBerry Bold was $199. My Focus was $199. [I didn't pay 199 for my focus, I traded for it, but at the time, it was $199 from ATT]

You bought them all at the same time? ;)

But seriously, the Focus was $199 for all of 5 minutes. I got mine in mid November 2010 for 1 cent. My iPhone was $299 two years ago, so you got a better deal than I did. ;)

You pay a premium for features, quality, or sometimes simply because of brand/demand, but the actual cost to make similar devices isn't all that different. The no contract price of a Focus when I bought was $399 through ATT if I recall. The same for iPhone was $599.

That's a premium.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
16G iPhone 4. was never $299. Well, not in the USA.
You bought them all at the same time? ;)

But seriously, the Focus was $199 for all of 5 minutes. I got mine in mid November 2010 for 1 cent. My iPhone was $299 two years ago, so you got a better deal than I did. ;)

You pay a premium for features, quality, or sometimes simply because of brand/demand, but the actual cost to make similar devices isn't all that different. The no contract price of a Focus when I bought was $399 through ATT if I recall. The same for iPhone was $599.

That's a premium.
It's not a premium, it's just a better complet product. Not a better OS, but the build quality of the iPhone is much greater than the Focus. You'd have to find some BOM online. But I'm sure all this plastic on the Focus didn't run the BOM up too much. :) You're not comparing *sigh* apples to apples.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
16G iPhone was never $299. Well, not in the USA.

16G? I'm talking 8 gig. I bought 2 8 gig iPhone 3G's in 2008 for about $600.

But that's okay... don't take my word, hey, I could be misremembering... but go to AT&T's site right now and you'll see my point. Some of the price is justified in features, but certainly not all of it. Some of it is justified by brand/demand/desireability.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
16G iPhone 4. was never $299. Well, not in the USA.

It's not a premium, it's just a better complet product. Not a better OS, but the build quality of the iPhone is much greater than the Focus. You'd have to find some BOM online. But I'm sure all this plastic on the Focus didn't run the BOM up too much. :) You're not comparing *sigh* apples to apples.

Granted, but I'm taking that into account, unless you think the focus isn't better than an iPhone 3GS.

And if we're comparing product features/quality/completeness, is the iPhone 4 really 300% better than a Focus? Because that's the price difference ($49 vs $199).

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh, you're buying unsubsidized. I only by via ebay and craigslist. I'm I know someone who paid $600 for the original iPhone.
16G? I'm talking 8 gig. I bought 2 8 gig iPhone 3G's in 2008 for about $600.

But that's okay... don't take my word, hey, I could be misremembering... but go to AT&T's site right now and you'll see my point. Some of the price is justified in features, but certainly not all of it. Some of it is justified by brand/demand/desireability.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
OS wise, no. Build quality, yes. That's including 16G onboard, FFC, and a very nice build quality. I traded my iP4 for my Foucs. I think it's a better OS, but I dislike the build quality. I don't think it's cheap. But it could be better.
Granted, but I'm taking that into account, unless you think the focus isn't better than an iPhone 3GS.

And if we're comparing product features/quality/completeness, is the iPhone 4 really 300% better than a Focus? Because that's the price difference ($49 vs $199).

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
What's the iPhone premium?

jaja OMG dude u can be such a payaso sometimes. it's no secret that any of crapple's products cost more than the competition on average. look anywhere iTunes cost more than Zune marketplace,the iPods cost more than Zune or any other digital player for that matter. Macs cost more than PCs etc.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sth up. The iPhone is priced at or below other high end phone. You sheep mentality makes you say things such as crapple. ITunes has very similar prices, ipad is cheaper than a zoom, and ipod touch is in the same range as Zune players. Get a life.
jaja OMG dude u can be such a payaso sometimes. it's no secret that any of crapple's products cost more than the competition on average. look anywhere iTunes cost more than Zune marketplace,the iPods cost more than Zune or any other digital player for that matter. Macs cost more than PCs etc.
Stop strokingMS "ego"

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Sth up. The iPhone is priced at or below other high end phone. You sheep mentality makes you say things such as crapple. ITunes has very similar prices, ipad is cheaper than a zoom, and ipod touch is in the same range as Zune players. Get a life. Stop strokingMS "ego"

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

stop spreading FUD and defending Apple. this is WPC I should be able to say as much mierda about crApple, the rusting robot ,and webPOS as much as I want without having to be called sheep or anything similar as I've said already a couple of months ago.

with that said iTune$ prices are no where near similar to those of Zune simply for the fact that YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR EACH AND EVERY SONG there's no streaming, no downloading, and no credits. with Zune for a simple monthly fee u get everything iTune$ lacks, so its much cheaper if one listens to lots of music. macbooks and the iPad cost more than the galaxy tab and midranged laptops so there.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
OS wise, no. Build quality, yes. That's including 16G onboard, FFC, and a very nice build quality. I traded my iP4 for my Foucs. I think it's a better OS, but I dislike the build quality. I don't think it's cheap. But it could be better.

I'm not a ****** by any means, and I agree the iphone's build quality is better than a focus (mostly because the focus backing feels cheap in comparison to iphone glass), but I certainly don't think that justifies a 300% markup over the focus.

The entire build quality issue to you I imagine, is resolved if samsung went with an aluminum panel for the Focus' backing rather than plastic.

You mention the xoom being more expensive than an ipad, but the xoom hardware also outspecs the ipad... and when I checked, it was only $100 more. 20% more than the inferior spec'd ipad2... and with no sales volume / economies of scale established, like the ipad has.

I expect the iphone 4 to cost more for having the features it does, but not $150 more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb