Glad I didn't go Blackberry....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am also sad. I left BlackBerry for Windows Phone, but I still have fond memories of my BlackBerry devices.

More choices available to consumers cannot be bad.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If i were Microsoft, i would see if it was possible to get some business type WP8 devices out ASAP, forget about all the app compatilibity and consumer stuff initially, get all the enterprise stuff in a business phone, and get it out now, to start trying to pull in the Blackberry deserters.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there is room in the market for both bb10 and windows phone. Smart phones have always been a three horse race. It used to be palm, blackberry, and windows mobile. Windows mobile and palm both died and black berry is largely irrelevant. I think either WP or bb10 will rise up to around 20% market share, iOS will take 20%, and android will hold the other 60%. I don't think a platform is compelling enough for long term developer interest unless it has 15% market share, and given the number of ios and android devices already out there, that only really leaves room for one more player. I think it will be windows phone and I think rim would be smart to ally itself with Microsoft. Between Nokia, ms, and rim, WP could be a force to be reckoned with.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think rim would be smart to ally itself with Microsoft. Between Nokia, ms, and rim, WP could be a force to be reckoned with.

What would Microsoft get out of it?

At the moment, Microsoft control the OS, manufacturers make the hardware, and provide some basic apps. Where would RIM fit?

If i were Microsoft, i'd buy RIM when they hit rock bottom (or get Nokia to do it), keep all the patents, integrate any interesting tech into WP8 and bin/sell the rest. Then get Nokia to build a Blackberry-esque business phone.

I've not used a BB in ages, but my understanding was the best parts where the data compression (which is now in WP8), integration with office (which should be easy for Microsoft), and the BB phone form factor (which i'm sure anyone can copy).

Is there something obvious i'm missing?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
As bad as BB is they're in better shape than Nokia. Think they will surprise people so eager to write them off by surviving and slowly starting to come back next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium