Amazon Kindle event is showing Nokia how it SHOULD be done!

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
that I agree with, but let's not carry that over to phone releases

Yes, the two classes of devices have different logistics requirements, but the critical point remains -- that if Microsoft and Nokia want to start competing with Apple and Samsung, they'd better start getting these details wrapped up before they announce a phone. Apple does it. Samsung did it with the S3. Why can't Microsoft and Nokia do it?

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree that Amazon knocked it out of the park.

Consider the state of Windows Phone right now.

Microsoft announced in June that WP7 devices were essentially EOLed and would receive only one more (insignificant) update and then essentially be functionally frozen. We go through all of July and August with no real news. Early September, we see new WP hardware with no ship date or pricing.

Meanwhile, friends ask me about my WP. "Should I get one?"

I ask them what they're looking for. Most want active app development, most plan to keep their phone for at least a year.

I'm stuck. I cannot recommend a WP7 device, since they're unlikely to see many new apps once WP8 ships. I cannot recommend a WP8 device, since I don't know when they're shipping, how much they'll cost, or what carrier they'll be on. I can encourage them to "stick with what you have for now and wait another month or two," but that's barely long enough to get to the WP8 announcement (if the late October rumor is to be believed).

By that time, there will be a huge squadron of interesting new Android (including Amazon) and iOS devices out. Those friends want to buy now, and if they're going to wait, they want to know when the new stuff actually ships and how much it will set them back. They don't care about excuses or rationales.

Amazon gave people a demo, a date, pricing and the ability to pre-order. Brilliant move. They can release later and still cash in on up-front customer interest.

Nokia gave people a demo, no pricing, no date and no ability to pre-order. Not-so-brilliant move, especially when one considers that they and Microsoft essentially advised the market not to buy the present handsets, which are facing functional EOL.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree that Amazon knocked it out of the park.

Consider the state of Windows Phone right now.

Microsoft announced in June that WP7 devices were essentially EOLed and would receive only one more (insignificant) update and then essentially be functionally frozen. We go through all of July and August with no real news. Early September, we see new WP hardware with no ship date or pricing.

Meanwhile, friends ask me about my WP. "Should I get one?"

I ask them what they're looking for. Most want active app development, most plan to keep their phone for at least a year.

I'm stuck. I cannot recommend a WP7 device, since they're unlikely to see many new apps once WP8 ships. I cannot recommend a WP8 device, since I don't know when they're shipping, how much they'll cost, or what carrier they'll be on. I can encourage them to "stick with what you have for now and wait another month or two," but that's barely long enough to get to the WP8 announcement (if the late October rumor is to be believed).

By that time, there will be a huge squadron of interesting new Android (including Amazon) and iOS devices out. Those friends want to buy now, and if they're going to wait, they want to know when the new stuff actually ships and how much it will set them back. They don't care about excuses or rationales.

Amazon gave people a demo, a date, pricing and the ability to pre-order. Brilliant move. They can release later and still cash in on up-front customer interest.

Nokia gave people a demo, no pricing, no date and no ability to pre-order. Not-so-brilliant move, especially when one considers that they and Microsoft essentially advised the market not to buy the present handsets, which are facing functional EOL.

Exactly, all Nokia did was pie their own faces.

hbananas

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree, this is kind of exciting. Nokia's speakers where awful. These people have me excited and I don't even want a new Kindle.

Truth. I think the mystery of pricing and availability from Nokia is disappointing. Even announcing a month would be great, let alone an exact date. The kindle 4G lte won't even ship until November 20th! But that doesn't stop amazon from announcing its availability nearly 3 months in advance. And even then, they make pre orders available immediately.

Definitely a big difference between the product announcements from Nokia and amazon. And let's not forget Motorola also announced their product which is basically available in a week or so.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the two classes of devices have different logistics requirements, but the critical point remains -- that if Microsoft and Nokia want to start competing with Apple and Samsung, they'd better start getting these details wrapped up before they announce a phone. Apple does it. Samsung did it with the S3. Why can't Microsoft and Nokia do it?

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

My conclusion: Microsoft has everything lined up for October ans doesn't want anything extra to leak, especially for other platforms to steal. Nokia (and probably Microsoft) wanted to create some type of noise before the iPhone 5 launch, probably the main thing being the camera, so it can sway the customers.

IMO, I think if that was their plan, the camera wouldve made an impact even after the iPhone announcement, but would've been better with pricing and availability. What I don't like is continuing to come to this forum for almost two years to see countless threads and posts harping on negativity. I just don't. I believe it's been like this since the original wp7 launch. I'm not saying opinions shouldn't be voiced because people have great points, but the redundant members without anything constructive seem to be the loudest here. I've never had a moment here where I felt like I could enjoy posting about a platform that I like

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Oh and it seems people are beyond pissed that the lock screens on the kindles will have unremovable ads. See what I mean?

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The redundancy of members who complain about negativity is tiresome to a lot of members too. You can usually tell whether a thread is going to offend you by the title, so don't read it, there are plenty of 'happy' threads in the forums. Stick to those and save on the ulcer you've aggravated by repeatedly hitting threads like this.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The redundancy of members who complain about negativity is tiresome to a lot of members too. You can usually tell whether a thread is going to offend you by the title, so don't read it, there are plenty of 'happy' threads in the forums. Stick to those and save on the ulcer you've aggravated by repeatedly hitting threads like this.

Normally I'd buy that but the top topics in more than half of the forums are negative. So that means I should stop coming here and that's what not going to happen. Personally, i don't care if people are tired of me saying I'm tired of their font. I actually ignore a good amount of people. What I am saying is that people make it hard to enjoy announcements and releases because of their foolish expectations

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. You can certainly tell that I am one of the members that doesn't care for Microsoft's glacial pace of development. My happiness with new products isn't diminished by slow pace. I think the Lumia 920 is wonderful, gives me exactly what I want in a Windows Phone and I'm going to buy it off contract when it finally is released. Members who want more, or faster or better should also be allowed to speak up without hearing "you don't need that", "nobody wants that", "that's unreasonable". I don't believe Microsoft can survive in the mobile space by always releasing new features last. I believe their stockholders are beginning to wonder if they would be better off as an enterprise company and leave the mobile space to others. I like the Windows Phone platform and don't want that to happen, so I will continue to have the 'unreasonable' hope that they will kick it in the butt and keep up. Peace, friend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs