The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-07-2012 10:04 AM
29 12
tools
    Live feed here: Amazon Kindle Event | Mobile Nations

Most importantly - preorders immediatly and shipping on Oct. 1st AND prices are staying the same or dropping!

THIS is how an announcement event should be done people!
    09-06-2012 01:19 PM
    Oh god. Amazon's only tablet, created and distributed by them, that doesn't have to get a carrier's input on pricing, can of course put a price and actual date. Out of control
    theefman, Reflexx, Mitlov and 2 others like this.
    09-06-2012 01:24 PM
    Oh god. Amazon's only tablet, created and distributed by them, that doesn't have to get a carrier's input on pricing, can of course put a price and actual date. Out of control
    I appreciate the differences in the products being marketed thanks.

I'm just one of the many who feel that the rationale of carrier involvement is a poor excuse for no pricing and availability.

If Nokia & MS were/are serious about WP8, they aren't doing a very good job of getting the consumers excited about it. They should have already got pricing and availability in the bag for a product that's looking at potentially launching in a couple of months.
    09-06-2012 01:29 PM
    I'm reading the liveblog and it's definitely a kick-*** presentation.
    09-06-2012 01:44 PM
    Also, the Kindle Fire is using a dated, heavily-skinned version of Android...not a next-gen OS that Microsoft apparently is still developing. Can't blame Nokia for MS not having WP8 ready.

On the other hand, having had lots of first-hand experience with the "Carousel" skin of Gingerbread on the Kindle Fire...you don't want to own one. Seriously. I have massive buyer's regret over my Fire.
    eric12341 likes this.
    09-06-2012 01:48 PM
    Also, the Kindle Fire is using a dated, heavily-skinned version of Android...not a next-gen OS that Microsoft apparently is still developing. Can't blame Nokia for MS not having WP8 ready.

On the other hand, having had lots of first-hand experience with the "Carousel" skin of Gingerbread on the Kindle Fire...you don't want to own one. Seriously. I have massive buyer's regret over my Fire.
    Have you even seen the specs for the new Fire HD they just announced? That thing ROCKS and is only going to be $299!

As a content consumption device it's very, very good value - they didn't even mention Android in the presentation because guess what - no one cares!
    Last edited by woodbane; 09-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    09-06-2012 01:50 PM
    Wp8 has always been scheduled for late October. Microsoft/nokia could have waited till then and done an apple-esque launch, and just left apple and android a field to themselves for 3 months.

Microsoft could release a half finished product early, that wouldn't be any better.

There is no right answer, Microsoft can't just rush things to beat apple to the punch.

Even better, Microsoft have a small window where they could potentially match some iPhone 5 software features before launch should they so chose.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    aubreyq and larrynj like this.
    09-06-2012 01:56 PM
    Wp8 has always been scheduled for late October. Microsoft/nokia could have waited till then and done an apple-esque launch, and just left apple and android a field to themselves for 3 months.
    So then that's what they should've done, right?

Microsoft can't just rush things to beat apple to the punch...have a small window where they could potentially match some iPhone 5 software features before launch should they so chose.
    More reason to hold off announcements and surprise people like you mentioned above.
    09-06-2012 01:59 PM
    I agree, this is kind of exciting. Nokia's speakers where awful. These people have me excited and I don't even want a new Kindle.
    woodbane and aubreyq like this.
    09-06-2012 02:00 PM
    I agree, this is kind of exciting. Nokia's speakers where awful. These people have me excited and I don't even want a new Kindle.
    ^^THIS, THIS!! THIS is why MS/Nokia keep failing people - right from the horses mouth.
    09-06-2012 02:02 PM
    I probably won't buy a Kindle but man, the product lineup and prices are unbeatable.
    09-06-2012 02:06 PM
    Moreover, you can preorder one with 4G for Nov 20 delivery. Gee, why didn't Microsoft or Nokia think of that?
    09-06-2012 02:33 PM
    Have you even seen the specs for the new Fire HD they just announced? That thing ROCKS and is only going to be $299!

As a content consumption device it's very, very good value - they didn't even mention Android in the presentation because guess what - no one cares!
    I don't dislike my Fire because the processor is too slow and because it lacks enough RAM (what they've changed). I dislike my Fire because the UI is profoundly frustrating, because the onboard applications are awful (from email to the Silk browser), and because Amazon locks you out of the Google Play store and most of the Android apps people actually want aren't on the Amazon App store.

So yes, I've seen the unveil, and it doesn't change anything. I'd never buy another Fire until they fundamentally revamp the UI, the bundled software, and the available apps.
    09-06-2012 02:36 PM

Microsoft could release a half finished product early, that wouldn't be any better.

There is no right answer, Microsoft can't just rush things to beat apple to the punch.

Even better, Microsoft have a small window where they could potentially match some iPhone 5 software features before launch should they so chose.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    The worlds largest software company could have easily applied more resources to move things along. The 3 year Windows cycle doesn't work in the mobile space. And CC, the Surface isn't subject to carrier input either, it (if it actually exists) was announced last June, has been barely seen and still has not been touched by anyone outside of MS.
    09-06-2012 02:40 PM
    Microsoft should take lessons from Amazon then because they are creating and distributing their Surface tablet and we have no definitive release date or pricing.
    09-06-2012 02:45 PM
    Well I will agree with the OP on one point... if you're going to present you have to be enthusiastic, you have to actually provide full details, and you have to make it exciting to the consumer. Amazon has done that, clearly.

Where I disagree is the comparison of the tablet that is exclusively designed and controlled by Amazon to a phone that has multiple parties involved.
    09-06-2012 02:46 PM
    I agree with this fully. I hope they take a good look at this overall presentation and emulate it, this is how to present products. Excitement, confidence, specs, real details, prices, release dates, order today, great software and services to back product. Simple easy to read slides with talking points and photos. Amazingly well done and fun to watch.

Yes, there are company differences, but the presentations are not even close. I actually came to post a thread with the exact same title lol.

At Nokias we could have got prices on the speakers at least, there are no carriers involved there, but we got a big fat nothing for info most people wanted. How about what carriers will actually carry it? Even just a few with "more to come" would have been better than nothing at all.

Ah well life goes on, but Amazons presentation gets me excited about products I'll never even own lol! Good job Amazon, closest presentation to an Apple presentation I've seen in a while.
    09-06-2012 03:06 PM
    Microsoft should take lessons from Amazon then because they are creating and distributing their Surface tablet and we have no definitive release date or pricing.
    that I agree with, but let's not carry that over to phone releases
    09-06-2012 03:16 PM
    ^^THIS, THIS!! THIS is why MS/Nokia keep failing people - right from the horses mouth.
    His avatar picture looks like a normal guy to me. I haven't seen a talking horse since Mr. Ed.
    09-06-2012 03:53 PM
    His avatar picture looks like a normal guy to me. I haven't seen a talking horse since Mr. Ed.
    *comedic drumroll ;)
    09-06-2012 03:54 PM
    that I agree with, but let's not carry that over to phone releases
    Yes, the two classes of devices have different logistics requirements, but the critical point remains -- that if Microsoft and Nokia want to start competing with Apple and Samsung, they'd better start getting these details wrapped up before they announce a phone. Apple does it. Samsung did it with the S3. Why can't Microsoft and Nokia do it?

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    09-06-2012 04:48 PM
    I totally agree that Amazon knocked it out of the park.

Consider the state of Windows Phone right now.

Microsoft announced in June that WP7 devices were essentially EOLed and would receive only one more (insignificant) update and then essentially be functionally frozen. We go through all of July and August with no real news. Early September, we see new WP hardware with no ship date or pricing.

Meanwhile, friends ask me about my WP. "Should I get one?"

I ask them what they're looking for. Most want active app development, most plan to keep their phone for at least a year.

I'm stuck. I cannot recommend a WP7 device, since they're unlikely to see many new apps once WP8 ships. I cannot recommend a WP8 device, since I don't know when they're shipping, how much they'll cost, or what carrier they'll be on. I can encourage them to "stick with what you have for now and wait another month or two," but that's barely long enough to get to the WP8 announcement (if the late October rumor is to be believed).

By that time, there will be a huge squadron of interesting new Android (including Amazon) and iOS devices out. Those friends want to buy now, and if they're going to wait, they want to know when the new stuff actually ships and how much it will set them back. They don't care about excuses or rationales.

Amazon gave people a demo, a date, pricing and the ability to pre-order. Brilliant move. They can release later and still cash in on up-front customer interest.

Nokia gave people a demo, no pricing, no date and no ability to pre-order. Not-so-brilliant move, especially when one considers that they and Microsoft essentially advised the market not to buy the present handsets, which are facing functional EOL.
    09-06-2012 05:28 PM
    I totally agree that Amazon knocked it out of the park.

Consider the state of Windows Phone right now.

Microsoft announced in June that WP7 devices were essentially EOLed and would receive only one more (insignificant) update and then essentially be functionally frozen. We go through all of July and August with no real news. Early September, we see new WP hardware with no ship date or pricing.

Meanwhile, friends ask me about my WP. "Should I get one?"

I ask them what they're looking for. Most want active app development, most plan to keep their phone for at least a year.

I'm stuck. I cannot recommend a WP7 device, since they're unlikely to see many new apps once WP8 ships. I cannot recommend a WP8 device, since I don't know when they're shipping, how much they'll cost, or what carrier they'll be on. I can encourage them to "stick with what you have for now and wait another month or two," but that's barely long enough to get to the WP8 announcement (if the late October rumor is to be believed).

By that time, there will be a huge squadron of interesting new Android (including Amazon) and iOS devices out. Those friends want to buy now, and if they're going to wait, they want to know when the new stuff actually ships and how much it will set them back. They don't care about excuses or rationales.

Amazon gave people a demo, a date, pricing and the ability to pre-order. Brilliant move. They can release later and still cash in on up-front customer interest.

Nokia gave people a demo, no pricing, no date and no ability to pre-order. Not-so-brilliant move, especially when one considers that they and Microsoft essentially advised the market not to buy the present handsets, which are facing functional EOL.
    Exactly, all Nokia did was pie their own faces.
    09-06-2012 06:22 PM
    Truth. I think the mystery of pricing and availability from Nokia is disappointing. Even announcing a month would be great, let alone an exact date. The kindle 4G lte won't even ship until November 20th! But that doesn't stop amazon from announcing its availability nearly 3 months in advance. And even then, they make pre orders available immediately.

Definitely a big difference between the product announcements from Nokia and amazon. And let's not forget Motorola also announced their product which is basically available in a week or so.
    09-06-2012 06:58 PM
    Yes, the two classes of devices have different logistics requirements, but the critical point remains -- that if Microsoft and Nokia want to start competing with Apple and Samsung, they'd better start getting these details wrapped up before they announce a phone. Apple does it. Samsung did it with the S3. Why can't Microsoft and Nokia do it?

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    My conclusion: Microsoft has everything lined up for October ans doesn't want anything extra to leak, especially for other platforms to steal. Nokia (and probably Microsoft) wanted to create some type of noise before the iPhone 5 launch, probably the main thing being the camera, so it can sway the customers.

IMO, I think if that was their plan, the camera wouldve made an impact even after the iPhone announcement, but would've been better with pricing and availability. What I don't like is continuing to come to this forum for almost two years to see countless threads and posts harping on negativity. I just don't. I believe it's been like this since the original wp7 launch. I'm not saying opinions shouldn't be voiced because people have great points, but the redundant members without anything constructive seem to be the loudest here. I've never had a moment here where I felt like I could enjoy posting about a platform that I like
    09-06-2012 11:19 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD