Android bashing anyone?

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently carrying a nexus tablet around with me. Jelly bean is a great step in androids future. I love my Lumia 822 but it still has a few short comings. I still carry around my razr maxx mainly because of a few apps I need (square switchvox and my bank being the main ones) but it doesn't have the hold on me it used to ( going from jb back to ICs will make you sad) I love my wp8 but its not grown up enough to go and play by itself so I still depend on Android
just one question ... Why do you need so many devices on you do you carry around a backpack like the woz haha .. Just stick with wp8 because it is blowin up .. And will soon get all of the apps you need

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I actually picked up a Nexus 7 tablet yesterday after swearing I'd never buy an Android device again after my last horrible Android phone. Never thought I'd do it, but here I am. I wanted a tablet, the iPad mini is just grossly overpriced for what you get, the Kindle Fire just sucks and is gimped skinned over Android anyway. The playbook is a ghost ship. So what was left? Nexus 7 seemed like the obvious choice. Very cheap for the specs you get, its a Nexus device so at least there is no OEM crap ware and skins jamming up the works and it runs jellybean. So far I'm impressed honestly. Android is still too chaotic for me to want to use on a phone, but I'll say jellybean seems much improved since the gingerbread and honeycomb devices I had in the past. So far this thing hasn't seemed to lag perceptibly and its pretty fast.

Would have rather have bought a nice Windows RT tablet though... But not willing to shell out $600 on a big heavy tablet that's still kind of an experiment and has no apps yet. Android is at least...mature.

Hoping that in a year or two there will be something like this Nexus 7 but with Win RT and a sub $300 price tag. That would be amazing,
I debated myself to death to spend that 500 on surface. But after use mine surface for over a month now I gonna say it's the best 500 I've ever spent on an electronic device. It's now my only device on the go..not even use my 920 much after the honey moon with it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used just about every recent mobile OS - Android OS, iOS, Windows Phone 7 OS, Blackberry 7 OS, Blackberry Tablet OS, and webOS - so my bashing isn't based on liking or disliking specific companies, but on my personal user experience. Out of the operating systems I mentioned in the previous sentence, Android OS is my second-least favorite, ahead of only Blackberry 7 OS. (For whatever it is worth, I really like Blackberry Tablet OS and am looking forward to seeing Blackberry 10 OS in action.) Android devices just lag too much and have too many little annoyances with performance that they drive me nuts. Their performance starts degrading quicker than other mobile OS, particularly iOS and Windows Phone 7 OS, and they just don't work as well as they should, especially considering their specs relative to similar-aged devices with other operating systems. To be fair, I do think Android 4.x is a major improvement over Android 2.2/2.3, but even on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, a "pure" Android device, there are performance hiccups that are very, very annoying and more prevalent than most other mobile OS.

The Galaxy Nexus will be my last Android OS smartphone unless 1) Apple starts putting out a crappy product with iOS and 2) Windows Phone 8 OS doesn't gain mass traction in the market. I intend to get both a Windows Phone 8 device (not sure which one; I'm on Verizon so I want to see what Samsung puts out and if Nokia releases a Lumia 920-like variant in the next 2-3 months) and an iPhone 5 in the next few months.

P.S. Even though I don't like Android, I DO like what Google is doing with their Chromebooks. The recent Samsung and Acer chromebooks finally have gotten down to the price where those devices need to be to be attractive from a value to cost ratio perspective, and I think at $200-$250 or lower a laptop form-factor device with a very quick internet browser and some off-line capability is very attractive. I intend to buy the $249 Samsung Chromebook XE303 in the near future (in addition to buying a new Windows 8 touchscreen laptop, probably the 11.6" Asus VivoBook X202E.)

Fonof

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Long time Android user.

The OS is far from perfect but it does have its pros. I guess I am just really used to it. Really considering switching in a couple of months after being screwed by my manufacturer (updates wise. Was promised an update for my Atrix and never received it). Pretty much joined this forum to learn more about WP8.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I play with Android off and on, but I'm pretty much done with anything not Nexus. Between the carrier bloat ware and update issues, it's ruined the experience for me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was a huge Android basher, and with good reason. The force closes, lags, etc. made me feel I was still on PalmOS. But I recently used an HTC Sensation with a stock ICS ROM and I was truly impressed. Everything worked as it should and I didn't even bother rooting it to get the hotspot working without T-Mobile's permission as well as the BT PAN for connecting to my iPad 3. Unfortunately, even the best Android keyboards on the largest screens aren't as user-friendly as the WP7/8 VKB's. Heck, even the iPhone KB is better on a 3-1/2" screen. Fix the keyboard before MS puts in decent BT profiles and I may have a second look.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I was a huge Android basher, and with good reason. The force closes, lags, etc. made me feel I was still on PalmOS. But I recently used an HTC Sensation with a stock ICS ROM and I was truly impressed. Everything worked as it should and I didn't even bother rooting it to get the hotspot working without T-Mobile's permission as well as the BT PAN for connecting to my iPad 3. Unfortunately, even the best Android keyboards on the largest screens aren't as user-friendly as the WP7/8 VKB's. Heck, even the iPhone KB is better on a 3-1/2" screen. Fix the keyboard before MS puts in decent BT profiles and I may have a second look.

I had an iphone 4s for 6 months and currently own an HTC 8x and a high end Android phone. Swiftkey is by far the best touch screen keyboard ever made and the LG and Sony keyboards are pretty damn close to the IOS and Windows Phone keyboards. The HTC and Samsung ones suck though for some reason. I have no idea why Samsung keyboard sucks since they put a lot of emphasis on software and usually get it right. HTC though, it is HTC so they just suck. I have no doubt in my mind if they were allowed to change the WP8 keyboard they would have butchered it.

solveig17

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I had a Lumia 800 for 6 months and was constantly amazed by the number of things it couldn't do that my old E72 and a bottom of the range Android could.

From personalised text tones to being able to edit e-mail before forwarding, being able to set an sms to send automatically at a future time, being able to automatically turn itself to silent when I'm at work or if there is a calendar entry with the word " concert", being able to choose the snooze time, being able to access my online Bank account and any site using Mastercard secure code(as Android browser doesn't stupidly say their certificates are invalid the way Windows browser does)
Oh being able to use BBC iplayer, myplayer, ITV player for all UK television (ok I accept the E72 and cheap Android couldn't but Motorola Razr can)
Being able to set different volume levels for different functions.
And the Swype keyboard!

Lumia 800 was a ghastly phone. I was a loyal customer of Nokia's for around 15 years but we have parted unless they do go Android.
I really hate windows OS, felt like several steps back.

Last edited:

Paul627g

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Reading many of these posts I see some have probably gotten a poor example of the Android experience because of the devices they used. Many mid to low end range models which unfortunately you get what you pay for. They have lesser quality processors, bare minimum RAM and basic displays and graphics processors. They make them look impressive with lots of little perks and 3rd party extras and slap the best Android version that the device is capable of handling on it. Many times the limited RAM alone is the killer in this situation as it would be with any platform. Android does like RAM and it likes to use it up to keep flowing smoothly. Carrier/OEM bloatware does suck and many people turn to either rooting their devices to manually remove or getting into the Nexus "Pure Google" phones to get away from bloatware.

Waiting on carrier updates is probably the biggest killer for many.. Google releases the code for its Nexus lineup and then its off to the OEMs to do with as they please. They tweak it and toy around with it a bit and add their custom UI's and bloatware but the biggest hold up is the carrier's and their extensive internal testing that causes the biggest delays.

Android may not be everyone's cup of tea but the same can be said for any platform. Myself I love Android and have owned Palm (webOS) too.. Maybe one day I'll check out a MS/Windows based phone and see if the other side is indeed greener ;)

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Paul627g - you make some valid points, but I think the hole in your argument is that people had a poor Android experience because they were using low-end devices. At least prior to Android 4.x (really Android 4.1), just about all Android OS devices provided a poor experience after they were owned for a period of time, regardless if they were high-end or low-end. The difference between the high-end and low-end Android OS devices prior to ICS/JB was how long your smartphone would last before the poor Android experience would set in. In either case, the poor experience almost definitely set in within a year. (I say that last statement based on my experience with my Motorola Droid 2, which was a high-end Android device at the time it was released.)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree that before Android 4.0, Android was garbage and only excelled because it was pretty much the only iPhone alternative. However I also think the iPhone wasn't worth it till the iPhone 4. I recently switched from Windows Phone 7.8 (Lumia 900) to Android (Original Note), mainly because of apps that I really wanted to use and couldn't. It seemed like every week or two there was one more cool app I wanted to try and couldn't and I got tired of it. I love being able to use Pandora and Stitcher over my car's radio on my Note. I love having a notification center. Widgets, while not as good looking and organized as live tiles, can convey more information than live tiles. Windows Phone 8 has just as many short comings as Android, they are just different short comings. Neither is absolutely better than the other, it comes down to what an individual needs out of their phone. I'd even throw iOS into that previous statement.

milono77

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I started using WP phone just very recently, formerly of Symbian, and had used Android for some 2 years. My current WP phone is Nokia Lumia 520, replaced my old Blackberry. Does that mean that I've jumped ship from Android? NO! In fact I am still proudly keeping my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and still use it extensively, side by side with my Lumia. I wanted to buy a WP simply because it offers a refreshing looks (the live tiles for instance)...besides, it is always interesting to try something new.

To me personally Android is a quite nice and pleasant OS. It is not flawless though: occasional lags and sudden reboots did happen, but in general I feel very satisfied all Android devices I have had (from Galaxy Tab 2 to my current Note 8), and when someone bashes Android so bad by saying it crappy, laggy, garbage etc, I don't have any idea what he/she's talking about (If Android does look and feel THAT bad, there's no way that sixty per cent or so of world's mobile users who embrace Android could all make terrible mistakes, right?)
In fact, even though I want to love my WP so bad, there is no way I can live without Android, for one simple reason: I am an avid gamer. Needless to say, I want to play games anywhere and anytime I want. That's where Android fills in, where WP ecosystem just can't provide good enough, at least for the time being. and here I don't talk about the likes of Angry Birds or Temple Run. We're talking about the PS Vita/3DS-style, best-looking games to ever grace mobile screens, whose presence we only see minimal in WP Store, but abundant in Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store..
I couldn't help but wondering why major publishers seems reluctant in releasing their sophisticated games in WP platform, while they are flooding the competitions. Day after day we'd see games are "available now on IPhone/Ipad and/or Android" - the formula would usually be, Iphone/Ipad version comes first, then followed by Android ones. WP one, if any, usually comes last, or otherwise, is skipped entirely.

See? I don't see any point in bashing Android. It fills the gap where WP is unable to reach. But also there is such place WP gets where Android could not match. Why not take the best from both? Neither is anywhere near perfection.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
My thread's a few below this one, you can read my story there.
I don't feel like I'm endlessly bashing the platform, I have just had a very negative experience, and it seems that many others have too.
WP time soon, can't wait! :D

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Alright... I'm sick of this OS..

It stutters, it sputters, hangs, lags and chokes and just plain annoys me..

Countless instances mark you..not one...but the damn thing just won't work..
what have I not done..?
Used custom ROMs, used stock ROMs, used apps, deleted apps, killed apps...
Asked devs, asked noobs, asked friends and foes alike...

And add the "app drawer" to it...
A thousand icons and not one useful...equivalent of finding a needle in a hay stack...then there is the vulnerability to hackers and malware...

And then there is Motorola...who gives a tiny rat's backside for updates and support..

The hardware is good and the looks are killer..but the list ends there...

WP8...HERE I COME...

Sent from my XT910 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Did you try a factory reset and stay away from apps that require device admin permissions ? Also stay away from launchers.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Hahaha! I hope y'all learned your lesson. Buy a flagship phone, anything less and you'll be left in tears. WP is so far behind sadly. Its social apps are the worst.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hahaha! I hope y'all learned your lesson. Buy a flagship phone, anything less and you'll be left in tears. WP is so far behind sadly. Its social apps are the worst.

Get a flagship phone, thats exactly what I did and now I'm stuck paying the same price for a top flagship of today for a piece of junk phone from 2011...not very good advice I'm afraid.

It is for this reason I stay far away from flagships and even mid range phones.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I had a couple of Android phones on Virgin Mobile. It's been a while so they were ?clair and Froyo. OMG they drove me crazy. Weird reboots and such fairly frequently. Even though I liked Virgin Mobile, it saw no indication that they were going to get a Windows Phone so I jumped ship. I bought a new HTC HD 7 (however it had been released a year and a half earlier) and moved it to T-Mobile's old 100 min $30 plan.

I'm still running that HTC HD7 after a year and a half. I used a 810 for a little while but bought it during the period were you could hand it back in via the Washington State Attorney General case, and did exactly that. I can't (in reality, can) tell you how much more stable Windows Phone is than my old Android version phones were. Oh, I miss some of the apps and some of the customization, but no I will not go back to an Android phone.

I will likely buy a Nexus 7 tablet at some point as I wouldn't mind keeping my toe in the Android ecosystem. So I am not an Android "hater", I simply will not use Android on a phone...

Tomorrow I get an HTC 8x to update my HTC HD 7. Welcome back to Windows Phone 8. With luck I'll be able to sleep tonight....

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
just one question ... Why do you need so many devices on you do you carry around a backpack like the woz haha .. Just stick with wp8 because it is blowin up .. And will soon get all of the apps you need

The wait for features and apps on WP is too long with no confirmation in sight whether are not you would get the feature/apps you are looking for, I too bought a nexus 7 for the same reason.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I started using WP phone just very recently, formerly of Symbian, and had used Android for some 2 years. My current WP phone is Nokia Lumia 520, replaced my old Blackberry. Does that mean that I've jumped ship from Android? NO! In fact I am still proudly keeping my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and still use it extensively, side by side with my Lumia. I wanted to buy a WP simply because it offers a refreshing looks (the live tiles for instance)...besides, it is always interesting to try something new.

To me personally Android is a quite nice and pleasant OS. It is not flawless though: occasional lags and sudden reboots did happen, but in general I feel very satisfied all Android devices I have had (from Galaxy Tab 2 to my current Note 8), and when someone bashes Android so bad by saying it crappy, laggy, garbage etc, I don't have any idea what he/she's talking about (If Android does look and feel THAT bad, there's no way that sixty per cent or so of world's mobile users who embrace Android could all make terrible mistakes, right?)
In fact, even though I want to love my WP so bad, there is no way I can live without Android, for one simple reason: I am an avid gamer. Needless to say, I want to play games anywhere and anytime I want. That's where Android fills in, where WP ecosystem just can't provide good enough, at least for the time being. and here I don't talk about the likes of Angry Birds or Temple Run. We're talking about the PS Vita/3DS-style, best-looking games to ever grace mobile screens, whose presence we only see minimal in WP Store, but abundant in Apple's App Store and Google's Play Store..
I couldn't help but wondering why major publishers seems reluctant in releasing their sophisticated games in WP platform, while they are flooding the competitions. Day after day we'd see games are "available now on IPhone/Ipad and/or Android" - the formula would usually be, Iphone/Ipad version comes first, then followed by Android ones. WP one, if any, usually comes last, or otherwise, is skipped entirely.

See? I don't see any point in bashing Android. It fills the gap where WP is unable to reach. But also there is such place WP gets where Android could not match. Why not take the best from both? Neither is anywhere near perfection.

exactly. +1000

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Oh yes, the HTC sensation is a very nice device...you should have seen that device when it was running sense 3.0 and ginger bread 2.3...it was completely unmatched and felt like a whole different operating system.

I miss sense 3.0 and ginger bread.

Currently I'm using an HTC EVO 3D running sense 3.6 and ics (its basically an HTC sensation (same year, slightly higher price) with a 3D camera but is just not as reliable)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss