Left Windows Phone for Android

adamopinheiro

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay guys, after a year with my HTC Titan it broke (one week after my guarantee ended, anyway).

Here where I live WP8 isn't comming until next year, so I decided to buy an Android phone to fill the gap. Oh boy I'm digging it.

First, I used to have severe conectivity issues which I blamed the network. Ever since I changed to the RAZRi 3G and Wifi have never been better. (Not related to android but ruined my experience with WP)

Second, I was used to not having apps. I came to Windows Phone from Symbian, so I never had an iPhone or Android. Man, if I knew what I was missing I'd have changed earlier. Here in Brazil, live scout, tell me and a few other features are not supported, which aggravates badly the feature list of Windows Phones. Simple things like my bank app, an app to buy movie tickets, the verge and others were missing for me.

Third, notifications. Live tiles do a very poor job on this. I love how Android notifies me of everything that is happening on services and inside the phone (downloads, etc) in the notification bar and keeps it persistend until I swipe away.

That's it. I've been around here for a year checking daily for news, and now I'll be much less around. I hope this OS succeed, it is the sexiest around, but for me isn't cutting right now as it is.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You know you can simply go in the setting and change you location to United-States and boom you have local scout and all the US only features right?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It seems like you didn't know that... regarding apps... well the verge will be on WP soon enough and other mainstream apps like Instagram announced they were working on an app for WP8... The thing is that WP8 is not on their priority. So I'll simply enjoy my WP8 while those apps that I wont use come out.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no doubt android is way better than the current state of WP8. Jelly bean is super smooth and the lag is over
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

adamopinheiro

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You know you can simply go in the setting and change you location to United-States and boom you have local scout and all the US only features right?

I know that, but what's the purpose if there is no content for my city? Meanwhile, Google Local has everything with plenty of reviews and all.

I've already been waiting for apps for a year. I've asked my bank many times for an app.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I know that, but what's the purpose if there is no content for my city? Meanwhile, Google Local has everything with plenty of reviews and all.

I've already been waiting for apps for a year. I've asked my bank many times for an app.

Well WP's app store is likely to grow fast, but if you are not into the waiting thing, then it's nice for you to be happy with your Android phone.
But I think most people here are very happy with their windows phones

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
"OK, OK, well Jelly Bean DOES still crash and lag and stuff, but they've fixed that with Kandy Kake! Or maybe it will be fixed in Licorice. Well anyway, if you get a Nexus, you'll get the updates instantly! Well, unless your Nexus is a Nexus One, Nexus S, or Galaxy Nexus, in which case you'll never get the update. But you can install a custom ROM!"

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ha! This is true. I remember ICS was supposed to be the version sent from heaven, and now with jellybean Android users are saying, "This version is perfect. This time we mean it."

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had all kind of phones and os and the true is that the galaxy s3 running jelly bean is near perfection. I love the Lumia 920 but hate wp8 lack of apps.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 with JB is wonderful if you like lags, freezes, crashes, and an email account that "forgets" to check your Exchange server ever few days (leaving you with a pile of 100+ unread emails).

Oh, and battery life is appalling. I could never get more than eight hours without plugging in... That is about the same as my 2009 Palm Pre. *shudders*

robstunner

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy S3 with JB is wonderful if you like lags, freezes, crashes, and an email account that "forgets" to check your Exchange server ever few days (leaving you with a pile of 100+ unread emails).

Oh, and battery life is appalling. I could never get more than eight hours without plugging in... That is about the same as my 2009 Palm Pre. *shudders*

Battery life on the galaxy s3 is amazing but the problem is you literally need to go on each app and close or disable stuff.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's not "amazing battery life." That's "crap design."

Android has been out for almost FIVE years now. You'd figure that at some point, they'd have figured out how to develop a task manager that prioritizes tasks for battery life. Even Symbian and Palm OS Garnet had those.

Expecting the average user to go in and close every "nonessential task" in a propellerhead task manager is just not right. Lousy user experience.

adamopinheiro

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
"OK, OK, well Jelly Bean DOES still crash and lag and stuff, but they've fixed that with Kandy Kake! Or maybe it will be fixed in Licorice. Well anyway, if you get a Nexus, you'll get the updates instantly! Well, unless your Nexus is a Nexus One, Nexus S, or Galaxy Nexus, in which case you'll never get the update. But you can install a custom ROM!"

Are you really going to talk about updates? Bought the Titan thinking that since Microsoft had just rewritten their OS from scratch, they wouldn't screw over and would update my phone.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Did you need an update to keep your Titan from crashing, freezing every few minutes, or lasting on the battery for longer than 7 hours with the stock OS?

(Incidentally, your Titan received a major update in 7.6, and will receive another in the form of 7.8 -- I'd be stunned if the GS 3 gets a version of Android beyond 4.1.)

spazzmaster

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
QUOTE=brmiller1976;1779806]Did you need an update to keep your Titan from crashing, freezing every few minutes, or lasting on the battery for longer than 7 hours with the stock

Fortunately outside the USA we can buy unlocked phones that are bloatware free. Android is king outside the States. Updates are available beyond a single generation. A flagship phone isn't abandoned. The apps ecosystem is awesome. Direct downloads without Zune is possible, control over the UI is available. My WP freezes and reboots about once a day, so I don't see what the purpose of a locked down OS is. In contrast my Note 2 always delivers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise