Left Windows Phone for Android

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
QUOTE=brmiller1976;1779806]Android is king outside the States.

Right, and Symbian was king before that.

Updates are available beyond a single generation. A flagship phone isn't abandoned.

Really? I need to learn more about these mythical non-US Samsung Galaxy S IIs, Nexus S and Nexus One devices that receive miraculous Android updates long after the EVUL CARR'ERS kill 'em in the States.

The apps ecosystem is awesome.

Good point. As Kapersky notes, the number of Android malware apps has surged from only 936 in Q3 of 2011 to almost 15,000 as of Q2 of this year. That means that malware is now the largest single application category on Android. At current growth rates, a majority of Android apps will be malware by Q2 of 2013! Very exciting. ;)

Android Under Attack: Malware Levels for Google's OS Rise Threefold in Q2 2012

Direct downloads without Zune is possible

They're available on Windows Phone too. Perhaps you should pick up your mythical device that you "have" and try it out sometime. ;)

My WP freezes and reboots about once a day

Riiiiiight. This is the Windows Phone that "cannot download without Zune" I assume? Is this device the legendary HTC Bullpuckey, perchance? :winktongue:

adamopinheiro

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Riiiiiight. This is the Windows Phone that "cannot download without Zune" I assume? Is this device the legendary HTC Bullpuckey, perchance? :winktongue:
Did you need an update to keep your Titan from crashing, freezing every few minutes, or lasting on the battery for longer than 7 hours with the stock OS?

Yes, I needed an update to stop my Titan from rebooting and having connectivity issues. My friends wouldn't whatsapp me anymore because I it always freezed and I never got the messages. The phone used to reboot from time to time. I had to have a car charger because the phone wouldn't stand a full day of use.

In the other hand, my newly bought Android flies, is totally fluid and did not crash once until now. The battery is waay better compared to the Titan. And it is not even a flagship phone.

spazzmaster is totally right, I bought my phone bloatware free, unlocked. My sister's SII got updated as well, no complaints about that.

spazzmaster

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
All my points still stand. I now own a Lumia 800 after owning a Galaxy S2. My android handset was customisable and updated to ICS. Jelly Bean is being rolled out to it before the year ends. My lumia is poor in comparision. I cannot direct download videos, music and books onto it.
No equaliser for the player.
And as a healthcare worker the lack of apps is disappointing.
I really think that you need to experience an unlocked Android handset before making false accusations.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If the GS3 was as bad as it was made out to be in this thread I doubt it would have sold as many millions as it has. I really love WP8 but I think the latest android software is more polished than WP at this time.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If the GS3 was as bad as it was made out to be in this thread I doubt it would have sold as many millions as it has. I really love WP8 but I think the latest android software is more polished than WP at this time.
"Polished" is definitely not a word I would use with Android, after having two years, 4 devices and Eclair - JB, however it has come a long way and JB is quite good.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
"Polished" is definitely not a word I would use with Android, after having two years, 4 devices and Eclair - JB, however it has come a long way and JB is quite good.
Polished refers to ice cream sandwich and up. I've tried out a Galaxy S3 on ics and a Note 2 on jellybean and they are pretty nice. Actually they are much nicer than my HTC Rezound that's just a year old. I still prefer WP though, it's just very enjoyable to use.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Android is definitely more customizable, but it's also not as fluid, clean looking, and simple. It's a good option for those who are tech savvy, even though I consider myself tech savvy and appreciate WP more.

RyanR47

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
How one can be so ignorant and disrespectful to others view is beyond me!

How about try being nice? Some people in this community needs to grow up!

iPwnza

Banned
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I made an app for windows phone 8, that integrates with the speech API. Every time I ask it something about android, it says Android.... THAT SUCKS.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I for one am glad I left Android. The program as a whole has been so perverted from its initial intent that I can't even recognize it anymore. WP8 offers me all of the core applications I need for my day to day lifestyle and then some. Android and Apple have huge app markets, but when you subtract all the iterations of talking hippos and cats, you really aren't left with THAT much. On top of that, even JB still has some major connectivity flaws, overflows and memory leaks.

unit_three

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I had an Android before Wp8 (HTC one S) and it was very smooth. But then again HTC had modified it so it never really multi-tasked which explains that. I would imagine it would have slowed down after a while with all the apps running in the background.

But it still had it's moments of lag. It would occasionally lag in the Dialer and would lag sometimes just going to the homescreen. And the default browser and keyboard are the worst! You want to see lag just open the default browser and use pinch to zoom. So I downloaded Chrome but that has major lag when browsing in desktop mode. Try looking at an article on The Verge that has hundreds of comments and watch your Android come to it's knees. I replaced the keyboard with SwiftKey and it was very good but was glitchy when it came to typing in forums like this one. All this stuff works fine on my 8X.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I needed an update to stop my Titan from rebooting and having connectivity issues. My friends wouldn't whatsapp me anymore because I it always freezed and I never got the messages. The phone used to reboot from time to time. I had to have a car charger because the phone wouldn't stand a full day of use.

In the other hand, my newly bought Android flies, is totally fluid and did not crash once until now. The battery is waay better compared to the Titan. And it is not even a flagship phone.

spazzmaster is totally right, I bought my phone bloatware free, unlocked. My sister's SII got updated as well, no complaints about that.

Your Note is bloatware free huh? So it's running vanilla Android without Samsungs nasty Touchwiz UI laid over top?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That's the convenient excuse I always heard every time my GS 3 would crash.

"Oh, that's not REAL Android, the cause of the crash is the TouchWiz UI."

Of course, "real" Android handsets represent less than 2% of all Android devices out there. Go figure.

And no, I'm not going to apologize or stop criticizing Android's MANY failings to "be nice." If you want an atmosphere free of criticism of Android, Android Central is over there -------------------->

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99