Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Why are you guys acting like this Netflix app is SUCH a big deal.

Geez.

Read between the lines... its not that netflix by itself is a big deal... its that devs are considering bbos a big enough deal to already be developing... netflix is just a hint, or clue, to this.

Netflix is a fairly popular application and streaming service... you may want to ask why its not on your platform of choice already, because that is kind of a big deal.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Read between the lines... its not that netflix by itself is a big deal... its that devs are considering bbos a big enough deal to already be developing... netflix is just a hint, or clue, to this.

Netflix is a fairly popular application and streaming service... you may want to ask why its not on your platform of choice already, because that is kind of a big deal.

I have a Netflix app on my lumia 920 and my windows 8 laptop. Not sure what you are talking about but it IS on my platform of choice.

abass

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a Netflix app on my lumia 920 and my windows 8 laptop. Not sure what you are talking about but it IS on my platform of choice.

But it's bigger for BlackBerry seeing as Netflix was NOT ever on BlackBerry before, but now they see the potential of BB10 and are actually developing an app for it. The whole point is that BlackBerry finally has some big app devs on board, which hasn't been that way for.. like ever.. So it's huge to see this.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
But it's bigger for BlackBerry seeing as Netflix was NOT ever on BlackBerry before, but now they see the potential of BB10 and are actually developing an app for it. The whole point is that BlackBerry finally has some big app devs on board, which hasn't been that way for.. like ever.. So it's huge to see this.

Grab the confetti.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I understand that we are all one site now at MobileNations, but this now feels like someone got into a fight from a kid from the other school, and now all his friends from the other school are coming to join in.

WP8 will be just fine when BB10 launches.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Sailfish, Firefox and Tizen OS's are all coming to join the party too.

I'm expecting BB10 to be in the top 3 but the others will remain around. No one will get killed off.

Why just have 3?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
when I saw. bb10.i saw absolutely no innovation at all. The gestures are good. But the UI is basically a copied from wp8, ios and android.

shefiu

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
What started off as a decent discussion (whether back or forth) always ends up in a p**** length contest... we have BB fans and WP fans.. pros and cons approach would be nice and as objectively as possible (within our individual ****** minds:p).

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I am actually interested in BB10, is there a place I can see some good video demo's of the OS, or is it too soon? I looked through crackberry, but I really want a device review or something that is a good summary. Any thoughts?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to worry a bit.

I played with a colleague's "Developer Alpha" version of the BB10 OS, and I had a couple of observations:

1) In Alpha form, BB10 is more complete and less buggy than release-day WP8 was. It has a better music player, and the experience is just as smooth and sexy.

2) RIM took its time to "get everything right." They've ramped up hardware production, they have every major carrier in the US and worldwide supporting their launch (unlike WP) and there are unlikely to be device shortages, regardless of demand. They also spent time to fix and tweak every element of the software experience.

3) RIM is launching with over 100,000 apps in the BB10 store.

4) RIM is making it easy for Android apps to be ported over to native BB10. That means that apps like Instagram and others will be reasonably easy to develop for BB10, and will arrive for that platform long before we get them.

5) RIM, the principal hardware company for BlackBerry, is profitable (as of last quarter) and cash-flow-positive. Nokia, the principal hardware company for Windows Phone, is bleeding cash fast.

6) RIM is supporting carrier-independent OTA updates, just like Apple and Google. That means that any bugs that do occur can be fixed quickly, without a Portico-style "is my phone going to get it or not" mess.

I was super-impressed with the UI, slickness, and overall polish of BB10. I am getting worried... this OS could be good enough to push Microsoft out of third place.

Microsoft needs to step up its game. Third place is NOT guaranteed.

1) You're kidding yourself. I'm yet to run into a bug on WP8.

3) still less than WP

5) RIM is NOT positive. That is just simply not true. Not in the least is that true

6) I did a search and could not find anything that said this. Oh, and Android is not carrier-independent updated.

Bottom line is BB10 is just more static icons. I'm actually rooting for RIM but they will stay in 4th place.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
OTA is in WP, but updates are not simultaneous (unlike BB10). If AT&T decides that my 8X won't get Portico until June, then I won't get it until June.

As for "more complete," BB10 Alpha has apps that WP8 still doesn't have, like Adobe Reader, Facebook (official version), Twitter (feature-complete), online banking from major US and European banks, etc. It's sorta hard for them not to get access due to their simple Android port.

Not sure if I buy that. Windows Phone 8 is a brand new platform, just like BB10, and launched in mid November. BB10 is launching a few months later, but will be more feature-complete (assuming no other updates past Portico hit).

The obvious benefit of "taking time to get everything right" is the risk that BB10 in early 2013 will be a less buggy and more complete experience than WP8 in early 2013.

And RIM sold more BlackBerry phones in this past quarter than Nokia has sold Lumias in its entire run.

We're in a precarious place. Microsoft needs to execute better. The assumption that we're in a comfortable third place and RIM is dead is the wrong one to make, and the compromises around user experience that have been made to date need to end.

Um, there is Adobe Reader, Official Twitter, a ton of online bank apps, including Bank of America and Chase. Do you own a Windows Phone? I really don't think you do.

mundell_eb

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow! And I thought Apple fanboys were bad! No offense though but really guys some of you are more arrogant than those iSheep and what do you have to base that on? A half baked glitchy OS? Little public appeal? No real app support?(These are just rumors I'm hearing from various sources, haven't used wp8 myself) Look I understand that you support your platform and you're proud of it, but don't let that pride cloud your knowledge and judgment. Not everyone on here are that bad but I have to say some of you wp8 guys are really ignorant. Some of you are still on that age-old "RIM is dead" bandwagon that crashed a long time ago. RIM proved that they won't go down without a fight, and they're fighting hard! Whether they will succeed only time will tell, but don't hate on them because bb10 looks much better than anyone expected. Just because you're scared that wp8 will lose marketshare to bb10 doesn't justify hostility imo. The exact opposite can happen and wp8 will overtake the bbOS, but you don't see me hating on wp8. So just saying keep it clean, factual and objective please and it would be a better experience for everyone.:)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am actually interested in BB10, is there a place I can see some good video demo's of the OS, or is it too soon? I looked through crackberry, but I really want a device review or something that is a good summary. Any thoughts?

You can start on youtube...

Just a suggestion :|

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077