Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?

iamSherlocked

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess BB10 is a competitive product but only for BB boys.
Still, nothing has changed in BB. The same B&W phones but with larger screen. Its not harmful to colourful world of windows.

Guys please vote for my entries in Nokia your wish is my app. I could win a L920. Instructions and links- HTTP://mobihalo.WordPress.com

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Blackberry 10
i think thats a good one to watch for now

Very impressive. This video really focused on the productivity / social aspect of the OS, and it looks better to me than any other platform I've seen. Enterprise customers are going to really like it I think.

The challenge is going to be the ecosystem, but BB10 has a real chance here. There is more complexity to this story, but at very least this will keep the blackberry diehards very happy.

abass

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
when I saw. bb10.i saw absolutely no innovation at all. The gestures are good. But the UI is basically a copied from wp8, ios and android.

This saddens me to hear.. That's just so much close-minded bullsh*t. Guess who was one of the first smartphones to the market? Would you have guessed it that RIM was? I KNOW, CRAZY RIGHT?! Apple, Android, and your beloved WP all copied off of RIM and every other smartphone on the market.

Now let us imagine a world where every phone company was in a cave and knew nothing about their competitors and what cool things they were doing. Sounds like a really uneventful smartphone market, but apparently it's what you seem to want.

And what in the he11 has Windows Phone 8 done to "innovate"? Their entire OS is PRETTY, but that's the majority of what it is.. It's pretty and they absolutely destroyed some of the basic functionality of the phone just to make it pretty. The speed at which you can get simple tasks done on a BlackBerry - - Scratch that, just about any other smartphone on the market, towers over WP8. But still, WP is very pretty and eye catching, that is not INNOVATIVE. Many people who have tried WP along with all of the other operating systems out there have mentioned that some of the most simple tasks are made to be somewhat difficult (extra steps added in WP over what it should be).

So lets look at what is innovative about BlackBerry... Lets start from the pure basics.. The entire operating system behind BlackBerry 10 is innovative just within itself. It's ability to multitask towers over any other mobile operating system out there. QNX is in the majority of cars out there, it runs nuclear power plants, and so on.. It has been put through the ringer, and is a very well developed code. Props of course go to Windows Phone 8 though, they started from scratch as did BlackBerry. So what does this mean? WP8 and BB10 already have a head start over Android and iOS, as they NEED to start a new OS from scratch to be competitive given a year or two. iOS is now the oldest OS on the market after the release of BB10.

So innovation within the hardware now, how about that? They completely removed the need for physical buttons, changing the entire realm into a gesture based operating system. But CLEARLY, this is not innovative simply because WP has 3 capacities buttons, right? Again, removing all buttons in move to JUST gestures. If you consider that not innovative in the slightest, then that's you just being close-minded yet AGAIN.

Okay, Okay, innovation within the software, that's the most important part yet, right? Well first off, we have just seen the developer alpha - beta software, so it is not fair at all to claim if the OS is innovative or not when you are comparing a product that is under-wraps, not on the market yet, to those which have been out for months. But let's try to mix and match, picking out the innovation of BlackBerry 10. WP8 was on the right track, why should we be just like Apple and make it so the entire device is simply a prettied up app launcher? So they went and made live tiles. Okay, cool. But lets take a step back at this point, BlackBerry 10 just copied the OS of WP8 because they have active-frames? Well buddy, QNX has been out for almost 2 years now in the PlayBook... That's a LONG time away from the first leaks of WP8 and live tiles. What does this mean though? Look at the PlayBook, a minimized app is essentially an "active-frame", but it would just be ludicrous to port that over to a smartphone as on a PlayBook, making an app smaller is okay because it's a large device, but on a phone, making an app smaller and keeping it "live" would just be pointless as you wouldn't be able to see or read anything. It was just common sense for them to do something along the lines of turning it into an "active-frame". BB10 has been in the works for YEARS, but OF COURSE the second they saw WP8 come out, they must have revamped the entire operating system to mirror what was in WP8, right? They could not have been innovative themselves, they MUST have stole it from WP8.. Again, that's just you being full of yourself / operating system.

The designated "HUB" is extremely innovative.. You don't have to bounce in and out of applications like you do in WP8, Android, or IOS, you can instead get absolutely every social media, email, SMS, BBM, etc. in this designated HUB. Now who did they steal this innovation from? THEY STOLE IT FROM THEMSELVES! BlackBerry has ALWAYS had a unified inbox where your SMS, Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. pop up in. The one in BB10 is just MUCH MUCH MUCH more organized, and it also ties in the contacts application AND the calendar application within it. So from anywhere on your BB10 phone, you swipe up and to the right, and you have access to absolutely every single thing you could possibly need, organized, and not have to pop in and out of applications OR have to visit the homescreen like you have to on every other OS.

The keyboard, that's not innovative at all huh? All gestures keyboard, words pop up above the word instead of above the keyboard so you dont have to take your eyes off of where your fingers are going. Nah, they must have stole that from a different OS right? And that's why a dev went out and copied the BB10 keyboard calling it "octopus" or something for iOS. The Apple community was pumped up about downloading it and being able to use it.. People don't steal sh*t that's not innovative.

There is just SO much more that both we have yet to seen, and is also innovative within the OS currently. You're just being EXTREMELY close-minded and ignorant so you don't have to think that the competition is in any way scary, when in reality, it really is.

morpho4444

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
This saddens me to hear.. That's just so much close-minded bullsh*t. Guess who was one of the first smartphones to the market? Would you have guessed it that RIM was? I KNOW, CRAZY RIGHT?! Apple, Android, and your beloved WP all copied off of RIM and every other smartphone on the market.

Now let us imagine a world where every phone company was in a cave and knew nothing about their competitors and what cool things they were doing. Sounds like a really uneventful smartphone market, but apparently it's what you seem to want.

And what in the he11 has Windows Phone 8 done to "innovate"? Their entire OS is PRETTY, but that's the majority of what it is.. It's pretty and they absolutely destroyed some of the basic functionality of the phone just to make it pretty. The speed at which you can get simple tasks done on a BlackBerry - - Scratch that, just about any other smartphone on the market, towers over WP8. But still, WP is very pretty and eye catching, that is not INNOVATIVE. Many people who have tried WP along with all of the other operating systems out there have mentioned that some of the most simple tasks are made to be somewhat difficult (extra steps added in WP over what it should be).

So lets look at what is innovative about BlackBerry... Lets start from the pure basics.. The entire operating system behind BlackBerry 10 is innovative just within itself. It's ability to multitask towers over any other mobile operating system out there. QNX is in the majority of cars out there, it runs nuclear power plants, and so on.. It has been put through the ringer, and is a very well developed code. Props of course go to Windows Phone 8 though, they started from scratch as did BlackBerry. So what does this mean? WP8 and BB10 already have a head start over Android and iOS, as they NEED to start a new OS from scratch to be competitive given a year or two. iOS is now the oldest OS on the market after the release of BB10.

So innovation within the hardware now, how about that? They completely removed the need for physical buttons, changing the entire realm into a gesture based operating system. But CLEARLY, this is not innovative simply because WP has 3 capacities buttons, right? Again, removing all buttons in move to JUST gestures. If you consider that not innovative in the slightest, then that's you just being close-minded yet AGAIN.

Okay, Okay, innovation within the software, that's the most important part yet, right? Well first off, we have just seen the developer alpha - beta software, so it is not fair at all to claim if the OS is innovative or not when you are comparing a product that is under-wraps, not on the market yet, to those which have been out for months. But let's try to mix and match, picking out the innovation of BlackBerry 10. WP8 was on the right track, why should we be just like Apple and make it so the entire device is simply a prettied up app launcher? So they went and made live tiles. Okay, cool. But lets take a step back at this point, BlackBerry 10 just copied the OS of WP8 because they have active-frames? Well buddy, QNX has been out for almost 2 years now in the PlayBook... That's a LONG time away from the first leaks of WP8 and live tiles. What does this mean though? Look at the PlayBook, a minimized app is essentially an "active-frame", but it would just be ludicrous to port that over to a smartphone as on a PlayBook, making an app smaller is okay because it's a large device, but on a phone, making an app smaller and keeping it "live" would just be pointless as you wouldn't be able to see or read anything. It was just common sense for them to do something along the lines of turning it into an "active-frame". BB10 has been in the works for YEARS, but OF COURSE the second they saw WP8 come out, they must have revamped the entire operating system to mirror what was in WP8, right? They could not have been innovative themselves, they MUST have stole it from WP8.. Again, that's just you being full of yourself / operating system.

The designated "HUB" is extremely innovative.. You don't have to bounce in and out of applications like you do in WP8, Android, or IOS, you can instead get absolutely every social media, email, SMS, BBM, etc. in this designated HUB. Now who did they steal this innovation from? THEY STOLE IT FROM THEMSELVES! BlackBerry has ALWAYS had a unified inbox where your SMS, Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc. pop up in. The one in BB10 is just MUCH MUCH MUCH more organized, and it also ties in the contacts application AND the calendar application within it. So from anywhere on your BB10 phone, you swipe up and to the right, and you have access to absolutely every single thing you could possibly need, organized, and not have to pop in and out of applications OR have to visit the homescreen like you have to on every other OS.

The keyboard, that's not innovative at all huh? All gestures keyboard, words pop up above the word instead of above the keyboard so you dont have to take your eyes off of where your fingers are going. Nah, they must have stole that from a different OS right? And that's why a dev went out and copied the BB10 keyboard calling it "octopus" or something for iOS. The Apple community was pumped up about downloading it and being able to use it.. People don't steal sh*t that's not innovative.

There is just SO much more that both we have yet to seen, and is also innovative within the OS currently. You're just being EXTREMELY close-minded and ignorant so you don't have to think that the competition is in any way scary, when in reality, it really is.

I dont really care what features WP, IOS or Android users think they have on their smartphones... I have my old Bold 9900 and my galaxy SIII... galaxy phone is my work phone, the company gave it to me. I don't use it at all... I dont like to check my gmail, hotmail and work email all in three different apps and then facebook and then SMS... opening and closing. In my bold, I open Universal Inbox, I swipe through the messages to go from gmail, hotmail, faceboook, workemail, sms, whatever I have listed on, even twitter. They think they have these features, they think swiftkey = android keyboard, is not, you have to buy it, is not a native part. I just use my Galaxy SIII for pure web browsing which is a better experience just because of its larger screen. Well and If I am not at home with my playbook I use Galaxy III to play jetpack joyride, if Im at home I play it on my playbook. It is just a waiting game for me, my bold is going, here comes N-series for me. I care no more about android or WP or IOS I have experienced all three of them and I know what to do next, to get my BB10. You can just pretend you all have these BB10 features on your phones, I will simply enjoy them.

EDIT: Of course I will replace my S Galaxy SIII with a BB10 London device, dont you know who has the best browser experience between tablets, desktop and mobile you fanboys?, Blackberry ****ing 10!.... playbook right now is the king of Tablet browsers and it even beats desktop browsers. BB10 browser simply blows away in sunspider my GSIII and in HTML5 is the best right now even over desktop browsers and just passed ring 1 in facebook test.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Please don't mind me saying so but the Nokia N9 .... A device that has been in the market for some time now, is a gesture based OS with NO physical or capacitive buttons. So that innovation has already been done.

Obviously this was in the works for a while before it launched. 😊

The OS on the N9 is the parent of active frames one could say. The calendar on both is identical.

It is sometimes worthwhile to look beyond the phone you currently use.

BB10 will bring innovations elsewhere I am sure as there is a lot that probably hasn't been disclosed yet.

I am not saying that BB10 isn't going to be good, rather I don't want them getting credit for innovations that are not theirs.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Clearly you have never seen IOS/Android. It looks the same...
There's only so much 'looks' alone will do. Windows Phone is the best example of that. Beautiful looks, terrible, terrible functionality. BB10 from what I've seen looks quite decent. And the latest news is that it will have native video calling with screen sharing, which God knows, is so much better than 'Kids Corner'. Not to mention a full fledged notification centre. BB10 is coming with everything Windows Phone doesn't have.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry has always had top class notifications.

I really only use my 9900 Bold now for messaging. For surfing the web and applications I use my other gadgets.

If I get another BB I will go for the all touch and not the physical keyboard version.

abass

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Please don't mind me saying so but the Nokia N9 .... A device that has been in the market for some time now, is a gesture based OS with NO physical or capacitive buttons. So that innovation has already been done.

Obviously this was in the works for a while before it launched. 

The OS on the N9 is the parent of active frames one could say. The calendar on both is identical.

It is sometimes worthwhile to look beyond the phone you currently use.

BB10 will bring innovations elsewhere I am sure as there is a lot that probably hasn't been disclosed yet.

I am not saying that BB10 isn't going to be good, rather I don't want them getting credit for innovations that are not theirs.

My point was that the PlayBook was out wayyyy before the Nokia N9, so it was still RIM first to the market on the whole gesture based / no button UI.

There's only so much 'looks' alone will do. Windows Phone is the best example of that. Beautiful looks, terrible, terrible functionality. BB10 from what I've seen looks quite decent. And the latest news is that it will have native video calling with screen sharing, which God knows, is so much better than 'Kids Corner'. Not to mention a full fledged notification centre. BB10 is coming with everything Windows Phone doesn't have.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! EXACTLY! Glad to see it being said from someone who frequents WPCentral. I saw 'Kids Corner' from WP8 and thought it was a joke that they put so much work into such a small section of the market.. Those who have kids (so crosses off any of the young techy people w/ money to spend on a new phone) and focuses towards people like my mom, but not so much my mom now, but rather my mom about 10-15 years ago when I was a young kid and wanted to play with her phone. Issue with this too, is that they are trying to focus on the market that doesn't even care much about their phone as long as it's cheap.. That's all my mom cares about "well why buy this one when I can get this one for free?!?!" BECAUSE MOM, THAT ONE IS A POS FLIP PHONE!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to say it, but 'Kids Corner' is actually a complete turnoff for me, I'm assuming you can just turn it off (atleast i hope) but I just remember how much they stressed how great kids corner was during the initial launch of WP8.. I kept saying to myself, okay, move on to what else it does.. Nope, he brings out his kids onto the stage, probably practiced it 100 times, yet still couldn't get into 'Kids Corner', they managed to just unlock his phone the normal way, and had to go "no buddy, remember, you do it like this".

I'm 21, my phone is my phone.. I rarely even let friends touch my phone for any reason, I don't need so much thought put into something that may affect me in the next 6-7 years from now. So is 'Kids Corner' innovative? Sure it is.. Practical though for MOST users? not even in the slightest..

What's cool about these pictures too, is that we know for a fact that these are OLDDDDDDD pictures of the OS. They have changed the top header to blue in recent updates, and other changes as well, so seeing just how old those pictures are that are being leaked, RIM is definitely doing a good job at keeping the big features hidden until launch, and I'm sure we are all in for a big surprise! :)

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
They launched quite close together I think. Perhaps the playbook was first but the N9 was the first phone with it. Actually, playbook launched April 2011 and N9 September 2011. Not far apart.

But perhaps Palm Pre actually did it first? That released in October 2008.

Like BB10 the playbook was announced long before it launched. RIM likes to torture it's fans lol

magutwit

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Clearly you have never seen IOS/Android. It looks the same...
---
My husband has a Galaxy and it's definitely extremely different, I mean ALL different. I didn't see a Lumia (or any WP8) for real, it's true, no one I know has it, but I'd never go for it : Windows 8 just doesn't appeal to me. This should not be a personal offense, everyone has its tastes.

Nevertheless, I just don't get people fighting with each other over the $$$ interests of big companies. C'mon, guys, they are doing better than we do and they let us fight for them :)

I used to have phones from 6 brands in my life, I only go for what fits me more, that's all. So far I was OK with the BB and I guess I'd go for BB10 (cause it looks smooth and nice and globally offers me what I want), but if one day I'll find something better for me, I'll go elsewhere (maybe finally by skipping the BB10, cause sick and tired that iPhones and Galaxies do have the Ukrainian input I want to use and RIM finds it too difficult to change 5 characters on the tactile input; I don't know yet).

I mean...users always win when there's a real competition (=several strong market actors) and I don't get what the users win to fight with each other to help other guys to win more bucks....

bb10_fan

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I guess BB10 is a competitive product but only for BB boys. Still, nothing has changed in BB. The same B&W phones but with larger screen. Its not harmful to colourful world of windows.
You're so wrong :) I'm currently WP7.5 user and believe me I'm looking forward to get my BB10 full touch or even keyboard smartphone. And let me list you few things on WP I'm totally fed up of:
  1. Home screen carousel. At first it looked "wow", something new. After 1 month it was already, "****, can they just stop flipping", now it's just "oh man, when can I have a normal smartphone?"
  2. List of apps (second screen). It's not more convenient than grid of icons, exactly the opposite, especially because most icons of the same color and I have to scroll very slow just to find the app I need
  3. Turning on/off WiFi. Are you kidding me that I have to go to settings, find WiFi settings just to turn it on/off. Exactly like iOS. I hope they made an icon for that operation in WP8 finally
  4. Switching between apps. Here I'm sure WP8 better than WP7.5. I hope at least it doesn't disconnect Skype when you switch to another app.
  5. E-mail accounts. Did they finally introduced some sort of Hub or central place for all e-mail accounts? Because in WP7.5 I have to check each account separately.
  6. Battery life. Well this one was expected to be bad with all those flipping things on home screen. But 1 day with almost no usage of the phone that's a bit too much..

I'm not comparing WP8 (I played with it but not long enough to see any big differences with WP 7.5) with BB10 (played with Dev Alpha device and felt in love just because of simplicity, clean interface, very intuitive gestures like on my MeeGo device). But trying to tell you that BB10 can be interesting to users of any platform (two my colleagues will switch to BB10 from Android)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb